How Long Have You Been Viewing Thiis Site? Does It Serve Its Purpose For You?

by minimus 67 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

I know now what you are saying. So many subjects are repeated almost daily and then there are all the threads which just seem like fill and clutter.

I'm planning on addressing that by providing a rating and tagging system as well as deleting / expiring certain topics. Some are very much 'of the moment' such as discussion of an event or TV programme which would make no sense when taken out of context years later. Removing those or being able to filter them out will help as will being able to look for in-depth articles, topics around a particular theme (hashtags will help that) or intense debates.

But the fluff does serve a purpose and helps people connect - not everyone wants the in-depth debates all the time, sometimes we need to kick back a little.

Hopefully we can come up with something to let everyojne get what they want.

• whathappened
    whathappened

Simon, I think more stress on the search feature would be good. So many of the older posts are so fantastic and they would be of great help to newbies.

This site just about saved my life...this and jwfacts and some you tube videos...but I do not want to hijack this thread.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I've been here twelve years, I was already well out of the borg. I've found it a useful resource for my writing -- or maybe its just a place to chat with people while convincing myself I'm doing research.

• SAHS
    SAHS

This site, I believe, is the best free-speaking site out there for JWs who are curious, questioning, and in different stages of fading; and, of course, former JWs (XJWs) who have “been there” and are now trying to make some sense out of it all and put things into perspective so they can move on with their life with some sort of clarity and dignity.

I’ve been on this site since around the year 2000, and it’s been this very site that has been the thing which has let me discover many telling facts about the JW religion that I needed to see. (The religion and my elder dad have made me feel condemned and unworthy to survive Armageddon, so I thought that if I was going to be executed by God anyway then I might as well go to this site and see what all the “apostate” fuss is about.) This site has also given me a chance to see what a lot of supposed JWs really think and feel about their religion in their heart. It’s like being able to candidly “take the pulse” of a cross-section of the JW community and to sort of “be a fly on the wall” so as to observe what is really in the mind and heart of JWs in various states of covert questioning and personal deliberation.

My hat is off to Simon and all those who have a part in maintaining this site. There is quite a variety of folks on here from all parts of the spectrum, and this is an excellent place where you will get a unique and raw perspective (which you would certainly never be able to get in any conversations with the people at any kingdom hall).

Thank goodness for the Internet. Blatant lies and deception will be exposed, and freedom of thought and expression will live on!

• 88JM
    88JM

14 years is quite mature for an internet forum. I've seen many other (non-JW) internet forums come and go in the same amount of time, even ones with slicker and more advanced features, but they can soon become redundant when they are based around a certain thing that falls out of fashion. The fact that more and more people are still joining JWN is testament that there is still very much a need for a forum like this.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I've been here since 2006. Yes, I believe it serves its purpose.

At first, my purpose was to find information when I began to doubt-found all I was looking for. Now, I don't care to join in on religious arguments, but want to welcome new ones that are in that hurt and bewildered stage just as I was. I really appreciated this site for the comfort it brought me when I was leaving the grip of the WTS. It was enlightening and theraputic. I am sure it helps so many others, as well.

• humbled
    humbled

Approaching 4 years. I joined the moment I found the site. I never looked for information outside the Borg until I divorced the WBTS for unreconcilable differences.

My first name here was Not a Captive.

No internet for @ two years, then, much humbled, I reappeared as Humbled.

The people on this site have nursed me through many different phases. I have learned and explored through discussions here. I have researched and read. I have thought and lived through so much since leaving the soul-bruising WT. And I have said things here that were hard to say, things hard to admit.

I love this community. Yes, I do.

Maeve Courteau

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I've been here since probably 2004? Maybe 2003,but I registered more recently. I feel like I made friends. I lost a couple of friends to suicide, some to natural death and some, like Richie Rich, went out in a blaze of something. . . I miss the days when we were all still working through stuff,discovering new bits of stupid in the org, getting updates from Ray Franz-I think that most of the info is out there now-it can all be found online and people have found it. Now it is kind of like a family reunion where we keep up, discuss the new scandals and generally kvetch about the borg.

The best thing-newbies still have a place to go and people who 'get it'. I'm glad about that. I have helped a few and maybe not been so helpful with others, but my heart is with you all-and I have gotten great friendship and support in return.

Thanks, Simon. I know you had moments (months, even) of seriously considering the end of this site. I'm glad you didn't. Its really the only one I go to. It is easy to use and accessible and we have Flipper, Mouthy, Blondie and all the rest--what would we do without 'em? (You know who you all are!)

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

It will be 10 years in May that I have been on this site. I don't post like I used to buy coming and reading everyday keeps me informed. The religion has changed so much since I left 13 years ago. Regardless...it is still a cult.

HappyDad

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Seven years, almost daily I'm surprised to say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit