How Long Have You Been Viewing Thiis Site? Does It Serve Its Purpose For You?

by minimus 67 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I know of a few people that almost never come here. The major reason is that they "outgrew" the place. (Their words).

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Yes, it’s been about 3 year for me, too. Just recently I have decided to post. This site has been invaluable in my recovery from being in the organization. Often the things I am thinking/feeling were already addressed on this site. It has been very validating and has helped with wrestling with cognitive dissonance. I appreciate all the people that have taken the time to share their views, wisdom and encouragement, and especially those who keep the site going. THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Minimus:

I have been coming here since 2005. A lot has happened in that time and I am much further down the road away from JW religion bad memories.

This place is good, first and foremost, because the owner of the site (Simon) has kept it clean and orderly. If it had degenerated into the smut that certain individuals would have made it into, I would have said 'Sayonara' and never looked back.

Sometimes some individuals have to leave the forum because constant talk about JWs is bad for them. In their case, it is healthier to not talk about it. But, at least the forum is here if they decide to come back.

Because the Witnesses are a secretive religion that seek to keep what really goes on there hidden from the world, this forum is necessary for the individuals who have been hurt by the religion as a place where they can get things off their chest, discuss things, cry, heal, make friends, laugh. It is an oasis for them.

JW apologists and other trolls can make remarks about complaining but they don't really get it.

In times past, there was no internet or place where people who left this secretive religion could go to and discuss their feelings and what happened to them and trade stories with other people who were also in the same predicament. Even the libraries had little to no information on the Witnesses. In more recent years, books like Crisis of Conscience would "disappear" from libraries never to be seen again. What was an ex-Jehovah's Witness to do? Who could they talk to?

The religion hates sites like this and would like nothing better than to go back to the old days before the internet. People who leave the religion would be in a news blackout and would be isolated. For somebody raised in the religion, this is traumatic. Thankfully for me, I was not raised a JW but for born-ins it would be terrible.

Simon, keep up the good work!

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

I'm a newbie as well. I haven't been on that long maybe less than a year. I use to be on another site, where there were witnesses & you couldn't even express your thoughts without someone calling you stupid or a phoney, alot of debating..The witnesses on that site are die hard, but insulting, alot of mud throwing....I like this site because when I started to study I saw many things that the org. said but didn't line up with the bible. I thought maybe Satan is messing with me...then when I went on the site that I mentioned earlier, one of the witnesses (x) said, that I was correct in what I say how mistaken the Org. was. I love this site, because it keeps me from really falling into the orgs. trap. I don't see the org. as Mother, because I have a Mother, and the org. ain't better than her in any sense...She is not a witness & doesn't mind that I'm one, I just share with her what I've learned, we keep it moving, I don't want to change her only if she wants...I look at the org. as a great go to place if you need some info. I'm not emotionally tied to the org. I still have some of my worldly friends....we respect one another. I love this site, many times someone says something that I couldn't put into words. I do alot of commenting only a couple of times folks would reply but not much but that's ok....

Oh to answer the question, yes, it does serve it's purpose....KEEP ME FROM DRINKING THE KOOL-AIDE.

Keep up the good work,

Legacy

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

I lurked for a year or two before I joined (and still don't login most days even now I've joined)

Love this place - there was a good long period of time when reading posts on this site was the only thing that convinced me I wasn't mental. Or at least, if I was, I wasn't alone in being so.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Long enough to be "family" yes it does serve a purpose it is a life line to those that may understand

• serendipity
    serendipity

I've been on the forum 8 years, lurking a bit longer.

For the first few years, I was on every day for several hours reading all the old posts about WT doctrine and the scandals. I also used to spend time in chat with others, getting to know their challenges and obstacles in leaving the WT. This was very helpful in my deprogramming and helping me to get on with life. It was also very helpful in providing tools to deal with my JW family. Without this board, I would've probably admitted to my disagreement with doctrine and could have ended up shunned by my family, if not disfellowshipped.

I haven't been on in a couple of years, but am checking in now since I have time on my hands (thanks to being unemployed). Curious to see what's new with the WTS.

I see a lot of new posters and hope this board helps them as much as it helped me.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Finding first the Yuku exjehovahs witness forum then finding this one is what saved my sanity these past few years.

There is no way I could have learned so much about how to handle my husbands totally unexpected rekindled interest in the WT and all the bsahavior that went along with it if I had notfound these forums. I imagine I would either be in a complete emotional breakdown, or divorced by now.

Thank you thankyou thankyou

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit