How Long Have You Been Viewing Thiis Site? Does It Serve Its Purpose For You?

by minimus 67 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I was a 36 year old when I made my first post at JWD, this summer I turn 50! I've seen posters rack up post counts similar to mine in a year or two because they really NEED to talk. Others read for years but barely ever contribute. I love this place and the way it gives what most nervous JW's need.

Thanks Simon and Angharad.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I`ve been here for 6 years , Thanks Simon and Angharad , for starting this site .Not only has it been a voice for those who cant speak to anyone personally because of repercussions from family members or freinds and being shunned or DF , it has been a haven for many.

I am truly amazed at the complexity of some of the discussions that are generated here, subjects ,some of which I never knew existed .

However, more importantly is the help , advice ,encouragement given to those who are victims in one way or another of the effects manifested on individuals under this mind controlling religion. I thank you again guys for starting this site and maintaining it over the years.Kudos to you both.

smiddy

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I found this place about the same time that I quit meetings 10 months ago. I have not personally needed that much support as I have always been very independent and detached from the Org while in it so the stepping away for me was was very easy indeed.

I can't say that I have made any very close friends here but it's been very helpful to read peoples stories and experiences and read about the scandals, cover ups, developments and changes in the 'Society'.

The only downside I can imagine of getting too involved here is that it keeps one stuck in one's often painful and disappointing memories of the past and it keeps one's connection to the organisation pretty much alive somehow. In ten months I see an awful lot of repeat threads, it does not take very long to do the full circle of possible discussions, debates and subjects. (nothing new under the sun?)

They say talking about a thing is what keeps it alive and present in one's life. I'm not sure how healthy it is after having walked away from what most of us have concluded is a false religion to then spend the next 10 years and several thousand posts examining it in every conceivable aspect and detail and hurt and pain that we experienced. I know that for me personally reading too much about this subject keeps me very much back there.

Have we not wasted more than enough time on that in our lives as it is?
    I tend to read far more than I ever post which is probably what we all do. I guess one takes from here what one needs, and shares as much as one feels is necessary and beneficial to one's feeling or 'getting better'. Initially I was here almost non-stop taking it all in quite feverishly. But as time passes from my departure from the Org I find I need less and less.

I'm very grateful for the forums existence and for all of you here that have shared your knowledge, feelings and experiences. It's makes one realise that none of us are alone.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I first found JWD in 2001. I wasn't ready for a co-ed forum though, so I joined Women Awake in 2002. I posted there all that year until some naughty people came in and caused problems that weren't moderated well and some moderators quit. The majority of the women stopped posting. I would read JWD from time to time and I joined under a different name early in 2003. Even though I had not been an active JW since 1990, I felt intimidated by former brothers being so familiar with us girls in the chat room that we had at the time. So I only posted a handful of times, then lost my log in info when I didn't post for months.

I joined as FlyingHighNow in September of 2003, so FHN is a bit over 10 years old.

This is the only forum I've seen on the internet where people with a common history can come and post about and discuss anything. We have such a variety of topics. Other forums are much more specific in subject and purpose.

I've said this before: we had this kind of fake brother and sisterhood inside the org. The org. tells disfellowshipped people that they can't hang out with JWs in good standing and they are not supposed to hang out with other disfellowshipped or DAd people. But they cannot control us here. And because of that conditional brotherhood we had, we have come out and we still have that bond. It's really a stronger bond now though, because we have waked up and no longer is it all conditional.

We can come here for support. We can come here to learn about the current things happening in the org. We can discuss anything now really. We have that freedom of expression. So, while the more serious threads are important, I feel that the lighter threads are just as important. I don't consider them fluff. I consider them to be very vital to healing, as well as refreshing for people who once were extremely oppressed. There is no governing body telling us we can't watch the super bowl or world cup and then discuss it. We can discuss holidays, movies, TV shows, etc. We can talk about music. I'm pretty sure the WTBTS frowns on the music of The Ramones or Metallica, but you can sure make a thread about how much you love punk rock or metal music.

What people call fluff threads help witnesses who are still inside or have just left, by allowing them to learn to socialize again, express themselves again. It helps them begin to feel more normal and helps them on their unique journeys to becoming non cult members.

JWD &JWN have helped my family and me both through some tough, very dark times.

Just like there are TV, Radio, Movie icons in the world culture, JWN is iconic in it's unique way. JWN has become weaved into internet & international history. Don't you ever wonder who many active, still snowed JWs have run across us while surfing the net? How many people around the world have found JWD or JWN when researching Jehovah's Witnesses?

I'm so happy to have friends all over the world, with this common bond. We communicate with each other in a way we can't with strangers on the net. There is a rapport here.

There are times now that I don't post for many weeks. Then there are times when I just need to be with our post cult brother and sisterhood, the bona fide brother and sisterhood. Sometimes I just need the camaraderie.

I, too, want to give a thank you to Simon and Ang for our historical, iconic forum. There really is nothing that compares to JWN, in the former JW web world.

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

I joined 3 years ago. I had seen the site several times and liked the differences of opinions shared here. I could tell a lot of people felt safe to communicate. When I joined, I had already begun my real fade and really valued this board for feedback and support. My life got hectic and I quit coming as often. I had some real revelations that really sank in regarding how selfish the org is and I was good. I've come back more often to check in and read others experiences. I have to say I love Outlaws pictures.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It is an insightful, intelligent, warm and comforting place to visit.

It is also not far from being an addictive black goo, it would be nice to leave WT far behind, but as long as there are newbees visiting with questions, it is important that people from all perspectives offer advice, help and direction to answers.

Sometimes it all gets a bit passionate and can feel personal. But I think everyone has good motives for the best part.

Even people I could not disagree more with, are people I can talk to and laugh with.

The only issue I have here, is the misintepretation of simply signposting people towards data. It is taken so personally. For 33 years I was lied to about the world ,the universe, life and death, world history, science. When I look at what humans knew BEFORE I was born, it frustrates me that I was told such nonsense, the data was there to be read! With 5 meetings a week, constant studying and WT research, there is no excuse for not doing REAL research and reading.

That frustration motivates me, to come here in my spare time (today it is before work) in order to signpost people towards that info. That is often intepreted as militant, or aggresive. Many feel that one persons opinion is as valid as anothers, but that led to me losing 25 years of my life! There are people here who have lost MORE years than that. So when people post here with opinions that are in opposition to things we now KNOW, things we now have EVIDENCE for, I feel obliged to signpost people to that info. It is not born out of militant, aggressive atheism, it is born out of being lied to all my life.

People often post opinion as fact, be it god visiting them at night or making up science on the spot to negate some religious-scientific contradiction. I understant how it may look, to throw a spanner in the works and say 'that isn't true and you shouldn't do that'.... but my motive is sincere and good. I am sure others are likewise well motivated, but with humans so easily decieved (hence this forum exists) it is something some of us are very sensitive to.

Evidence is the most powerful thing we have, forgive me if I communicate it poorly sometimes xxxxx

snare

• KateWild
    KateWild

I have been on this site for 2 months, and I have posted over 2000 posts. I am addicted, but it stops me going to meetings, one day I hope to post about 5/10 posts a day, to help others. But letting off steam is my purpose now, I have so much to say, and so much spare time to say it in.

Kate xx

• minimus
    minimus

Keep the comments coming. Very interesting!

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Over 11 years here, and the purpose for me is to ensure that I do not get wrapped up in the lie once again while I wait to muster up the courage to leave once and for all.

• minimus
    minimus

If I stopped frequenting this site, it would not tempt me to go back at all!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit