Sign this petition - Investigation On Jehovahs Witnesses Religious Policy That Violates Human Rights and Abuses Religious Freedom

by TJ Curioso 170 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Simon
    Simon

But there is another aspect of the true/false question. Can one be the subject of slander, libel or invasion of privacy, if the public statement is a truthful one? The case of the gay teen shows courts will consider the impact of even a truthful statement and rule in favor of privacy. For example, if someone where to say, "So-and-so has HIV/AIDS" they may not be able to defend that on the basis of truth -- because invasion of privacy is involved.

Normally, yes - the truth is a 100% defense. But there is also the issue of who is leaking information and if it's a body (such as the police / courts) that have a duty of confidentiality then they cannot just go publicising people's secrets however true they may be without having to face some consequences. The issue then isn't slander or libel though, it's breach of confidentiality.

Regardless though, the WTS do not announce that [whoever] has done [whatever] ... just that [whoever] is no longer a Jehovahs Witness and if people link that with a local-needs talk about [whatever] a week later then that can't be helped and also can't be prosecuted.

"How" is indeed the question. Because we wish to avoid unintended consequences, in cases like this we let obvious harm and abuse of free speech to go forward unchecked. In the Janice Paul case, the court directly acknowledged the harm she had experienced.

Also, I've noticed a couple things as of late. On jw.org the defense of their shunning policy does not reference 1 Cor 5, nor "sins" like stealing and adultery. Rather a vague reference to the Bible's "moral code" is offered.

Yes, the thing to do is to highlight their policies through real-life accounts and experiences that demonstrate the reality of what they do, not the empty words they speak.

A pointless petition accomplishes nothing but possibly discredits the people criticising the WTS ... when you start making claims of "torture" then you damn well better have something to back it up with otherwise all other claims get swept into the trash along with it. If you are talking of numerous suicides then you should have probably numbers to back up the claims.

They don't, it's just a fluff piece to make themselves feel important and significant.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Wow, Ilovebirthdays!

Too often the idea is, "Free speech for me—but not for thee."--watchtower.org

Maybe we can start a petition to protect people from them.
    ROFL!

• label licker
    label licker

Two more signatures here plus we did the 2014 JW Survey questionaire. When you have nothing left to lose but only your sanity then what the heck. Wish the sanity would have been the first to go for it would have made everything else much easier to deal with. Would have been easier to not give a crap what these idiots think. Wishing all our friends here a better year and a better life than what they have been dealt with.

Hoping all the lurkers the best as well. Don't let this organisation ruin what's left of your brains and families.

LL

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Just listened in,on an Interview with AAWA..

They had No Professional Advise on how to Write the Petition..

They Don`t Expect the Legal System to Take them Seriously..

They Hope someone with Political Power might..

Might?!!...

.......Translation: "I need 5,000 Followers"..

"Maybe Somebody Important will Notice Me!.."

.......................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Bebopin
    Bebopin

Signed

• ron jackson
    ron jackson

I was on that call last night too and heard a woman ask who actually wrote up the petition. R Kelley said it was Janine Garcia. This woman asked if this Garcia woman was indeed an attorney. Kelley said no, yet that she had law experience. Not sure what he meant, as he became a bit aggravated at the woman and tried to divert. The woman asked for him to clarify exactly if Garcia was a bonifide lawyer. He really wanted to try and get the audience to TRUST that it was not important if she was, in fact, an attorney.

I also heard Kelley say, yet, I think many missed it, that this petition was a bit like the mission statement for AAWA: he knew it would not really produce significant results with the government and/or the U.N. That the petition was really just a way for the public to see what is going on. Like I said, I do not think many picked up on that part of his 'discourse'. For me, it was key.

I heard very little about children last night too. Just a: btw, if you will.

Nice site here. I've lurked a while and read alot.

ronny

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Outlaw: Just listened in,on an Interview with AAWA..

Do you have a link or was it on 6 screens?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

He really wanted to try and get the audience to TRUST that it was not important if she was, in fact, an attorney.

I also heard Kelley say, yet, I think many missed it, that this petition was a bit like the mission statement for AAWA:

he knew it would not really produce significant results with the government and/or the U.N.

A..........After Listening to The AAWA Interview..

....................Superman is Driven to Drink..

.....He`s been Super Suckered by the AAWA again!!..

............................................................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Can anyone, perhaps, not drunk on KFC and beer, provide info on the source of interview? Thanks.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Do you have a link or was it on 6 screens?.....Rip van Winkle

Hey Rip!..

It was on Six Screens..

They were giving away 6 Watchtower Magnets......If you won the WBT$ Trivia Game before,before the interview..

It`s good to see Six Screens Donations going to a Good Cause like Watchtower Magnets..

I Donated $50.00 to Six Screens and they Bought Watchtower Magnets??!!..

............ photo wtf-animated.gif

...........................................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit