The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Flamegrilled is there anything inaccurate about this summary of your position?

Atheist - The enormity of natural evil argues powerfully against christian theism.

Flamegrilled - Natural evil does not make my loving god logically impossible.

Atheist - In what way?

Flamegrilled - There may be facts you are not aware of.

Atheist - What facts could reconcile a tsunami with a loving, knowing, omnipotent god?

Flamegrilled - That is a mystery, I am just saying it's not logically impossible.

Atheist - It is very compelling evidence against theism. What evidence to the contrary could possibly be so strong?

Flamegrilled - I refuse to talk about it and I don't like your tone

Yes

• cofty
    cofty

I have lost patience with you FG.

Numerous atheists have tried to engage you in conversation for over 50 pages and all you are interested in is silly word games. Its pathetic.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

I have lost patience with you FG. Cofty

It's not a big concern to me Cofty. Your misrepresentations of my position have been numerous, but I have patiently continued the conversation. If you have lost patience I cannot help that.

• cofty
    cofty

Your misrepresentations of my position have been numerous

You have yet to show a single example.

I have never seen somebody so determined to post repeatedly for 50 pages and yet resolutely say nothing.

I have patiently continued the conversation

Word games, obfuscation and point-scoring is not the same as conversation.

Summary so far...

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Simon - if I said to this you know very well how you would respond. And it wouldn't be via a reply.

Again, rather than actually address any of the points raised you instead latch on to anything possible to avoid giving an answer.

Yes, it's much better when you get to insult people with impunity. What a welcoming board this has become for people who are questioning their beliefs and maybe think that certainty is a dangerous thing to have, at least at their point in their personal journey.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Ago your description sounds like god.

Is Simon not allowed to have an opinion (and even a spirited one) on his own board? He is human like the rest of us. People questioning their beliefs can read these 90 plus pages and figure out why he said what he said...

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

That is all you have done throughout this discussion. With each non-statement you make your god looks less credible.

With believers like you - who need enemies?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Is Simon not allowed to have an opinion (and even a spirited one) on his own board?

"He who cannot be moderated must moderate himself." See rule #1.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

That is all you have done throughout this discussion. With each non-statement you make your god looks less credible.

With believers like you - who need enemies?

Now I'm being "quoted" from a dialogue made up by Cofty. Awesome job TG. Cofty paraphrases me from nothing that's ever been written, or even thought about, and then you quote it. That's a great example of what I'm talking about. Many people will jump in on this page and would otherwise fall for this kind of nonsense.

So many responses are just a waste of a comment. But if people didn't post stuff like this example then no wasted response would be required to put the record straight.

P.S. In case the reader didn't gather it by now, that is not a quote of anything I've ever written. But I do encourage the reader to read what I have actually written in order to understand why Cofty and his supporters feel the need to misrepresent my position.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

The summary so far:

It's simple. Cofty and I actually agree that this whole discussion hinges on probability and not certainty. You only have to read the past few pages to verify that. For a more in depth discussion of why it matters you will have to read back quite a bit further.

Cofty and others do not like the uncertainty, even though they acknowledge that it exists, and therefore feel the need to not only reach a certain conclusion whilst lacking information, but to compel anyone taking part in the conversation to do so also.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit