The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

No because you totally ignored the second and mmore important part of my reply.

That is dishonest.

I have said repeatedly that you can have a deity that drowns a quarter of a million people. You cannot have the god of christian theism. That is a logical impossibility.

• caliber
    caliber

Cofty wants me to lay out my beliefs, but he wants to define the paramenters for me to do that. At the same time he was quick to say of himself ... FG

We are not discussing my spiritual journey here. If you want to start a new thread on the topic carry on.

Well that's true of me too. I am not about to spend time laying out a complete belief system to someone who has already demonstrated that they will not hesitate to rehash my words in any way that suits them, or simply add things I didn't say. Also, I have seen what happens to people who lay out their belief system in this discussion. ~~~Flamegilled

Philosophy an attempt to bridge the gap between religious convictions and facts of science.
    .. to make sense , to sort out idea's. to fit into things which we do ponder...

Where Do We Come From ? What Are We ? Where Are We Going ?

It appears to me that cofty wants Christians to meet on the bridge of philosophy but to leave behind
    their convictions or feelings ( facts only ) but he is allowed to bring along his hard" facts" used to mold God with emotionally charged negative attributes

How can ones spiritual journey and experiences not play into this... the very core of our belief system ?

• cofty
    cofty

Caliber do you deliberately ignore every post you don't like?

I did not ask you or FG to describe their spiritual journey. I asked for a simple description of the reasons why your belief in a loving god can survive the evidence of reality.

I also said a number of times there are no restrictions on how you present that evidence.

It is tedious to have to repeat things numerous times.

• jgnat
    jgnat

(Regarding the big-shot preacher from Ireland). Kind of reminds me of the story of Hannah Whitall-Smith. She wrote a hugely popular book called, The Christian’s Secret of a Happy Life (1875). I use one of her quotes as a touchstone for my own life. What is often ommitted is that her own marriage was deeply unhappy; her husband with whom she once went on speaking tours with cheated on her. She never totally reconciled with him.

Also frequently ommitted from her book was her conversion to Christian universalism.

It is so much more convenient to wrap our beliefs up with a neat little bow. Real life, on the other hand, is messy.

I still regularly use Ms. Smith's quote.

The true secret of giving advice is, after you have honestly given it, to be perfectly indifferent whether it is taken or not, and never persist in trying to set people right.Hannah Whitall Smith, 1902

• KateWild
    KateWild

I am 96.7% convinced that abiogenesis of carbon based life is not possible.-flamegrilled

here here I am 99.9% convinced that abiogenesis of carbon based life is not possible. I am 99% convinced God evolved over billions of years, is not carbon based, but did form from non-living space unknown space matter found billions of light years away. Could this be a theory of the abiogenesis of God?

It is possible. Kate xx

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

No because you totally ignored the second and mmore important part of my reply.

That is dishonest.

I have said repeatedly that you can have a deity that drowns a quarter of a million people. You cannot have the god of christian theism. That is a logical impossibility.

It's true that I ignored the second part of your post. Ignorring something I've previously addressed is not dishonest.

Dishonest is misquoting others, misapplying what they say, and claiming they said things they didn't. All of which you have done.

• cofty
    cofty

Atheist - The enormity of natural evil argues powerfully against christian theism.

Flamegrilled - Natural evil does not make my loving god logically impossible.

Atheist - In what way?

Flamegrilled - There may be facts you are not aware of.

Atheist - What facts could reconcile a tsunami with a loving, knowing, omnipotent god?

Flamegrilled - That is a mystery, I am just saying it's not logically impossible.

Atheist - It is very compelling evidence against theism. What evidence to the contrary could possibly be so strong?

Flamegrilled - I refuse to talk about it and I don't like your tone

• jgnat
    jgnat

flamegrilled, you have breezed past the tougher challenges in my posts, too. I would characterize your debating style as linguistic gymnastics.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

Cofty - it's logically impossibly that the deity of a Christian theist exists

Theist - on what basis?

Cofty - because we know that allowing the Asian tsunami could not in any way reflect his supposed quality of love

Theist - are you certain of what the end result will be of allowing the tsunami?

Cofty - mostly. But the most important thing is that people died at the time.

Theist - are you certain of what the end result would be if God were to intervene in natural disasters right now?

Cofty - not really. But the most important thing is that people will be saved from natural disaters.

Theist - how do you know that's the most important thing?

Cofty - ?

• cofty
    cofty

Ignorring something I've previously addressed is not dishonest

My apologies it wasn't Besty it was Snare & Racket and you have not responded to it other than this risible canard ...

In your atheistic world death is the default anyway, so why kick up such a righteous fuss against God if he exists?

You are correct nobody has held you to account for this yet...

What are you suggesting by this exactly?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit