The Pastor of my Old Church Tried to Re-Convert Me Yesterday

by cofty 2596 Replies latest jw experiences

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty - it's logically impossibly that the deity of a Christian theist exists

Theist - on what basis?

Cofty - because we know that allowing the Asian tsunami could not in any way reflect his supposed quality of love

Theist - are you certain of what the end result will be of allowing the tsunami?

Cofty - mostly. But the most important thing is that people died at the time. Yes a quarter of a million people would not have drowned, 5 million more lives would not have been devastated, no human free-will would have been impacted and nobody would ever have known about god's secret act of love

Theist - are you certain of what the end result would be if God were to intervene in natural disasters right now?

Cofty - not really. But the most important thing is that people will be saved from natural disaters. Yes. A dramatic reduction in violent deaths and suffering. Nobody would even have to know that god was acting behind the scenes.

Theist - how do you know that's the most important thing?

Cofty - I never said it was but secretly preventing natural disasters would not in any way interfere in any bigger plan that your god may have unless maximising suffering is part of his diabolical plan.

Fixed that for you.

• Simon
    Simon

Technically, we know nothing for a certainty, so your argument is just as valid to say that Pol Pot could actually have been a great guy with good reasons.

Exactly - if theist reasoning can be used to excuse monsters like Pol Pot, Stalin or Hitler then I'm sorry - theists do not have a weak argument, they don't even have 'no argument', they have an utterly abhorent argument that is vile and should be hightlighted for the inhuman crap that it is.

flamegrilled: there is no other way to say it but you are simply an idiot or a deluded fool.

Don't feel bad, most of us here were the same at some point ... and then we woke up and wised up. Deep down you know your beliefs don't make sense which is why you go to such great lengths to avoid answering questions and expressing yourself clearly. You know your words condemn you but you are conditioned to respond a certain way and haven't yet figured out how to see real truth and reason.

Please reconcile how what is good or bad is a mystery for us according to your belief system. Aren't we sinners because Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and bad and your god declared that they are "like them, able to decide what is right and wrong"* .

Now, if we paid the price when we get the goods - we CAN decide (according to your theology) so don't give us this crap about it being a mystery. There is no one saying that it was a good thing, it's pretty unanimous that the tsunami and the deaths from it were "a bad thing" so there is no possibility that you can claim it is good or part of a greater good. We have the right to call it and we did. Now your only argument should only be whether god exists at all, is impotent and incapable of preventing such things or evil for allowing it.

Any answer you give is a dagger through your beliefs which is why you cling to the "mystery" nonsense.

Now, if you don't think we can decide what is and isn't good or bad then Adam and Eve didn't sin and so why aren't we all petting Lions in the Garden of Eden? It also means that part of the bible is a lie ... so your beliefs still die, just a different way.

* of course this also destroys the notion that god allows free will - he simply wants docile unthinking pets.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

you are simply an idiot or a deluded fool

Simon - if I said to this you know very well how you would respond. And it wouldn't be via a reply.

Now, if you don't think we can decide what is and isn't good or bad then Adam and Eve didn't sin and so why aren't we all petting Lions in the Garden of Eden? It also means that part of the bible is a lie ... so your beliefs still die, just a different way.

Like Cofty you make much of what I believe before I've ever said any such thing.

of course this also destroys the notion that god allows free will - he simply wants docile unthinking pets.

How illogical to say so specifically what a being "wants" that you have no belief in. Many Christians do not interpret the Genesis story in this way. I do not believe that Christian theism is dependent on it.

• cofty
    cofty

Summary so far...

I want to add two new sections.

1. Universal sovereignty - the JW answer

2. Vengeful god - the Pat Robertson answer

More ideas for succinct reponses welcome.

I also intend to add Snare & Racket's answer to efforts to minimise the theological nature of death to improve number 7.

I don't think there is anything in FGs posts that warrant a new section in addition to number 8 but we could perhaps improve number 8 now.

Edited to add - This makes 1914 posts in this thread. The end must be nigh!

• ammo
  • jgnat
    jgnat

flamegrilled, for all your protestations of unfairness and misrepresentation, I'm not seeing that in the fifty pages you've contributed to. Yes, I took the time to pull out the arguments (absence accusations on both sides). You do have a tendency to drop the tough questions and pick the low-hanging fruit.

Flamegrilled Cofty Response Jgnat Response

[Even as intelligent creation, we have limited information about our creator’s intentions, which might lead us to conclude that a natural disaster is bad. The analogy of inflicting temporary pain on a pet is used] post 104, p. 53

...since we can already conceive of circumstances under which such a conclusion would be false based upon limited information we cannot be certain that reaching such a conclusion would be true in this case. Post 149 p. 73

[Please limit your argument to natural evil] post 10686

I didn't grant that. I said that you can have a deity that lets a quarter of a million die in a tsunami. I was very clear that you cannot have a loving god that does so. Post 10798 p. 73

There is a reason surgeons use anaesthetic. To reduce pain and suffering is compassionate. Post 21928 p. 88

Evidence for a loving Christian God. Post 135.

But one thing is for certain. If there is a Christian God then He DOES have information that we do not have. Post 186 p.87.

Acknowledging that there are missing pieces to a puzzle does not make the entire thing a mystery.Post 202 page 94

Have you any suggestion, however remote or tentative,
    what the missing information might be that would make god's obstensibly evil
    act into one of pefect love? Post 10861 p. 86
    you have also failed to provide those puzzle pieces
    that have been filled. What are they? What former mysteries about God have been resolved? Are
    they statements of faith? Statements of faith are not evidence. Post 21968 page 94
    [The assertion that humans have zero influence on plate tectonics] you have no possible way to support. Post 125, p. 60 Humans have had absolutely zero influence on plate tectonics. Post 10737
    p. 60
    Man and all his activities have no effect on plate tectonics. Post 21859, p. 61

Each analogy I have provided demonstrates a very specific point. Post 160 p. 79

Certain analogies very much help to simplify moral questions down to the core principles. Post 178 p. 84

[Your request for the big picture] It's an unreasonable request. The big picture is not succinct. Post 192 p. 89

I invited you twice yesterday to lay out the big picture. I said "the stage is yours". The only thing I asked is that you be succinct Post 10874 p. 89.

Your analogies are weak. If you are painting different components of the mysterious larger picture, offer:

Analogy1 ---> represents this component of the larger picture.

Analogy2 ---> represents that component of the larger picture...and so on.

Otherwise, your offered analogies sniff like obfuscation to me. Post 21898 p. 80

I didn't say analogies were useless. I just said they are inferior. A + B = C is unambiguous. And always will be, much more than an analogy. Post 21910 p. 84
    I accept that this crudely describes the argument...it’s not …logical. Post 175 p.83 [You are using the “It’s a mystery” argument, sophistry.] Post 1686 p.
    The picture is not clear. Got it. It's a mystery. Post
    21937 p. 89
    you feel so certain as to where humans are on the
    sentience scale. Post 180 p. 86

No I feel so certain that I understand what love is. I also understand what Jesus said love was….It did not include drowning people. Post 10861 p. 86

[There is no evidence that the tsunami is God’s failure.] fg post 127, p. 61

God is love therefore every act or lack of action taken in isolation must definable as an act of love. This is not necessarily true. Post 153 p. 77

Might there be a reason for inaction under the circumstance? You haven't proven that such a reason cannot possibly exist… post 179 p. 85

The tsunami is a defeat to the viewpoint of a Christian theist. Fg post 127, p. 61

[Passively observing the deaths of a quarter million people is not loving.] Post 10686 p. 53p. 53

Yes every act or lack of action must be perfectly loving even if it is not immediately obvious how it is loving…you are confusing what is loving with what seems loving in order to avoid the damning conclusion. Post 10823 p. 77

The answer I read from flamegrilled is, "not
    necessarily true". As in, could it be part of a larger loving plan?... But what sense could come out of a natural disaster? What could humanity possibly
    do to prevent a re-occurrence? Be more vigilant with our early-warning systems?
    Post 21889 P. 79

Well this is part of the problem. Using 250K, as if the quantity multiplies up the evidence, is not logical given the matter under consideration. As I have stated many times whether it 1 person or 250K, it's still one question. Post 200 p. 94

if one person appears to be betrayed by God then it raises a question about whether God truly betrays people Post 201 p. 94

It's perfectly reasonable when a person's guilt has not been proven to refer to his or her crime as "alleged". Post 203 p. 94

So if one person is betrayed by God, we can challenge His existence or His compassion? (If quantity does not matter). Post 21964 p. 94

You have a bias to maintain your belief in an all-powerful, all-loving God. Any evidence to the contrary therefore starts as suspect. The human witness will be grilled. Post 21968 p. 94

Then forever after I will refer to your alleged god. Post 21971 p. 94

• cofty
    cofty

Outstanding work jgnat.

The faux complaints about being misrepresented are about distracting attention from the request for an actual answer.

• besty
    besty

wow jgnat - that is the best piece of forumsmithing ever

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

jgnat

I am very impressed that you took the time to compile that. I mean that genuinely.

Nonetheless, it should be pointed out that by only selectively including comments from the three of us there are missing pieces in the conversation.

For example I made a passing comment about how we could not be certain whether humans had had any influence on natural disasters. Cofty immediately responded asserting categorically that humans had had zero influence on plate tectonics just as you recorded. However, Adam followed up with a great comment linking to possible evidence to the contrary.

Cofty said- Humans have had absolutely zero influence on plate tectonics.

You might want to check those "facts" before you spout off as an expert, Cofty, as you're just flat-out wrong, and you don't get to make up your own facts (you should be embarrassed):

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/worst-earthquakes-disasters-gas-extraction-mining-oil-528373

It's called 'induced seismicity', and it's a problem in the States from oil-well drilling (esp with use of fracking techniques).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induced_seismicity

Adam

Since Adam had made the point that Cofty was being assertive without consideration of all the evidence I didn't feel the need to comment on that further. Besides which, it wasn't my primary point.

Therefore, lovely as your table is, it doesn't therefore present a full picture of the conversation that has truly taken place. I grant you that it would be difficult to do so, and you have made a fine effort, but let the unbiased reader treat it with caution. The only way to truly see what has been discussed is to read it.

• besty
    besty

there are missing pieces in the conversation.

its impossible to know what they are :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit