i wish more churches would preach truth like this

by unstopableravens 258 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

You might want to read the whole passage on prayer, and on how to pray, from Him, Unstop. Rather than assume that He did not mean what He said when he said not to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men, but that really he was addressing only the matter of motive and not the matter of how to pray. Because you don't need to take my word for it any more than you should take some preacher's word for it (or anything) What does Christ Himself have to say on that matter? Perhaps try asking Him to help you see and hear while you do read the passages, if you do read them.

Matt 6:5-14

"But when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. When you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Okay... off (I think, lol) until after I watch some more.

Peace,

tammy

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

Tec, those versr show why they prayed, in public, to be seen. It is possible to pray in front of othrr ppl with good motive

• tec
    tec

Unstop, really, lol... you think there is a chance I might like (or even remotely be able to agree with) a sermon that begins with... (paraphrasing) "I am troubled and had a sleepless night because of the thought that within a hundred years a great majority of the people in this room might possibly be in hell?" This man does not know the Truth, and/or is not listening TO the Truth. (who is Christ) Else he would not be able to speak lies and call them truth.

The only part that resonates with me is that he is speaking about examining oneself so that you can be sure that you are listening ... actually listening, rather than just going with the crowd, being a false christian, having a 'form of godly devotion yet denying its power". As well, it is also true, that simply professing 'lord, lord' does not mean that one is known BY Christ, or that one is entering the Kingdom. There are many who profess such, but do not do what He says, and do not belong to Him. He speaks also of people being 't-shirt' christians, those who get their theology from popular thought and consensus.

I hear that also... but at the same time, he has bought into traditions over Christ's own words... yet claims to go by the bible (calling that book the word of God and the light, two things that are the titles for Christ)

My first impressions stands. How can a man give a sermon about false prophets and those who say "Lord, Lord' but do not do the things that Christ said to do... when that preacher started out calling out "lord, lord"... but proceeded not to do the things that Christ said to do? He talks about people needing to do the will of God. A Christian will do the will of God. Well, the will of God is that we believe in and listen to His Son. Even, especially, the smallest thing!

You said this above:

Tec, those versr show why they prayed, in public, to be seen. It is possible to pray in front of othrr ppl with good motive.

But what did Christ say?

But when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. When YOU pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Who do you love more? Someone telling you that you can pray in public if your motives are right? So that you do as THEY say?

Or Christ, so that you do as HE says?

His words above are very simple.

This preacher also speaks often about testing against the 'light of scripture'.

What is this light of scripture? Is not Christ the light? Not scripture, not the bible, not religion, not doctrines, not southern baptist doctrines ... but Christ?

Can you, Unstop, show me where the bible speaks about testing yourself against the 'light of scripture'?

Because this man says, "examine yourselves and test yourselves in the light of scripture to see if you are in the faith'. I assume that is a play upon Pauls' words, "Examine yourselves to see if you are in the faith..." But this preacher is adding his own spin on those words. Adding an element that neither Paul NOR Christ spoke of, that is not even PART of scripture.

Always pay close attention to what people who profess "lord, lord" are saying, Unstop. Then listen to what CHRIST says. His voice won't be as loud as theirs... you will have to listen to hear Him. Even if you simply test what someone claims the bible says that Christ says... against what is actually written. Because in this case, what this man claims and what is written is not the same thing. Some things are similar. Some things sound true. Certainly this man has lots of emotion, and passion, and drive, and dedication, and he seems to believe what he is saying, and I feel for him. But SO what? So does a jw have passion, drive, emotion, belief. That doesn't make what the jws teach, true. Truth is truth... regardless of emotion attached to it. Lies are lies... regardless of the emotions attached to them.

Test everything against CHRIST. Christ is the LIGHT. The Truth. The Word. Christ.

This man also repeated in his sermon a few times 'Listen to me'... and it stood out to me each time he said it because it grates, because it is not truth. Listen not to me, nor to any other man... but rather listen to Christ. That is also a command from the Father, from God. Anyone who says otherwise is lying to you.

He speaks about those who have to rededicate themselves over and over again... blaming it on them for not truly dedicating themselves. But maybe that is because their professed teachers and preachers, etc, don't know the truth to be able to point them in the direction OF the truth? Maybe they're just listening to the wrong people... when the only one they are told to listen TO... is Christ. So that their dedication holds no meaning, no truth? So no wonder it fails?

He speaks a couple of times about the original greek meaning or translation of some words/verses and original beleifs/history/etc... and yet, he is not consitent enough to realize that the modern understanding and translation of hell (gehenna or hades) is not anything that the Israelites believed, or that Christ taught.

Yet, he feels fine to teach these children that they are going to hell if they do not conform to the will of God. Not him alone of course, but this is what he learned from his 'southern baptist church teachings'. Not from Christ. But how much fear is he putting into them, fear that is based on a lie, based on the traditions of men and traditional interpretations/understandings of men... but not based on accurate history or translations, and not based on truth? Teaching instead that God would throw them and others into a burning, torturous fire for all eternity. (never mind all the other lies that this religion - and many others - tells about who is going to hell, that your brother might be burning in hell for eternity while you are in heaven, or your child might be burning for eternity while you are in heaven, or your spouse, or your parents... all burning in hell for eternity, while you are living carefree in heaven, happy and at peace. Unstop, that doesn't even make SENSE)

There is one other thing. He spoke about the meaning of the parable of the man who built his house upon the rock and the one who built his house upon the sand. He used it as a parable to the one walking the narrow path and going to heaven, and the one walking the broad path and going to hell.

That is not the meaning of that parable.

One builds their house upon the rock has built their house (their faith) upon Christ. Christ is the Rock. That one's house (faith) is not torn down, not even when the storms and winds beat against it. Because he has built his house upon the Truth, upon the sturdy foundation, upon Christ.

But the man who built his house upon the sand (a foundation other than Christ... such as religion, the southern baptist church, false doctrines/theologies/interpretation, men, etc)... when the winds come, his house is destroyed and washed away. Because his house was not built upon the Truth, upon Christ.

Thnk of those who have built their faith upon the jws. When the winds came, how many lost their faith when the jws were proven false? How many built their faith upon the bible being inerrant (man-made doctrine of inerrancy)? How many have had their faith washed away when that doctrine has been proven false becasue something in the bible was shown to be an error?

The ONLY firm foundation is Christ. Build you faith upon CHRIST... and no one can take that from you, no wind can wash it away. Build your faith upon men, religion of men, doctrines of men, anything other than Christ, the Rock and the Truth... and your house migiht not fare so well when the wind comes.

I can understand why he may not be able to SEE that about this parable.

His 'central' message is seemingly meant to be about examining oneself to be sure you're not being a hypocrite; that you are doing God's will, etc... but Unstop it is so surrounded by false teachings. All religion has some truth. That is the lure; that is what brings people IN... and it is also what keeps them in, even after they sense that something is wrong. That something is not what Christ or God teach. Because "how can so and so know/have these truths... if this religion is NOT the truth, or if these men are false christs/preachers/teachers?"

That question is the same question that keeps people in the wts long after they start seeing falsehoods too.

Listen to Christ. Build your faith upon Christ. No one and nothing else is the Truth, or the Word, or the Light, or the Life. Just Christ.

May you be given ears to hear, so as to hear these truths that Christ is teaching you.

May you hear as the Spirit and the Bride say to YOU, "Come! Take the free gift of the water of life."

Peace to you, Unstop.

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

tammy

• Comatose
    Comatose

I've been wanting to a see a showdown between unstop and Tammy for a while.

May you hear da words comin outta my mouf.

Peace to all of you!

Your servant and a slave to reason and evidence,

coma

• tec
    tec

This is not a showdown between me and Unstop. Just holding up things that this preacher called truth, to the Light (that is Christ, who is the Truth).

I don't hear da words comin' outta yo mouf... but I do see da words comin offa your fingertips!

Peace to you.

Your servant in Christ,

tammy

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

ugH: i just wrote a long response and i hit the back botton to erase something and it took me back to the last page.:( i will re write after work)

• designs
    designs

Matthew 6- funny how un-Jewish this supposed Jesus is. As a Jew he would know the 18 Benedictions said daily.

Does it seem odd that the Prayer Jesus introduces, the "Our Father" prayer, sounds like Greek Orthodox or Church of Rome Liturgy....

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

tec, i am back i will responed to each of your points, if you dont mind i would rather take one at a time. two reasons. 1) i can only type so much on my phone, and 2)we can address each thing in good detail. i will start with your first point. you say from the start that he does not know christ because he teaches literal hell fire. tec, it seems to me that you believe that if a person believes wrong about hell, then they dont know christ. if that statement is true, than if hell is real you would have to believe that you dont know christ. in the bible christ talks more about hell than heaven. and when he talks about hell he is giving warnings most of the time. he tells how bad it is,he speaks about who is going there.(luke16:19-31)(matthew 25:31-46)(matthew13:42)(mark 9:46)(rev20:15) these are just a few. the bible teaches there are only two groups of ppl, the childern of god and the childern of the devil(1 john 3:9,10) thoses who are born again and those who are not. and there is only two etrenal places in the kingdom or outside(matthew 8:11) notice what jesus says happens to those in the darkness outside. not annilation but weeping and suffering. tec is jesus lying. mr washer is teaching the truth about hell.

• garyneal
    garyneal

I am loving this discussion.

http://youtu.be/kLBDFe3mDtk

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

Gary, cartoon athiest satire like every other anti christian propaganda .has some truth and mixes in straw man thoughts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit