Do you beleive in ghosts??

by quellycatface 142 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Yes I am anti-theist.

It is thoroughly irrational and belief in demons is as superstitious as it gets. Completely nuts.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

This thread certainly seems to show that an atheist is often much more than a simple unbelief in a God or Gods. There seems to be a whole package of things to believe in at the polarised exclusion of everything else that cannot be fitted into a scientific methodology for testing. This package is the view that the only things that exist are material things. Of course it is circular reasoning that in a universe made of material, that the tools for testing being material could be in a position to test for non-material things if they exist. So there is no basis for asserting that non material things cannot happen, using material tools. To do so is circular. Obviously it is possible these things exist which is why it is good to at least have an open mind. However even within science itself it has often been held back by the stubbornness of those who already had a theory and thus rejected all other theories even if they explained the phenomena better, assuming that they even accepted the existence of the phenomenon of course.

Freak or rogue waves were not believed to true until recently because `who is going to believe those sailors with all their mad stories`. The scientists had their linear theory of waves which indeed worked quite, well made accurate physical predications, and that is that was needed it was thought. Except one day it was discovered that the sailors were correct about these exotic and relatively rare types of waves and why a ship a week is lost at sea. These loses were put down to other things far more likely but they were wrong. Anecdotal reports were correct all along.

Obviously with the above example it does pertain to the physical realm but the cause of these waves was found to be quantum in nature. It’s a branch of science that doesn’t deal with common sense understanding of nature but contradictions. However if quantum mechanics should really be called science is another question, but what is clear is that stubborn intellectual arrogance that one’s intellect can explain all things is in question. It also stops progress in discourse and discovery.

There are atheists out there who do believe in supernatural things, even ghosts, but they seem to be an embarrassment to the ideological cause. Take heart, I say to those who have experienced such things including the atheist ones. It doesn’t matter that people don’t believe because ultimately they will hurt their own cause because it is in error.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

so your totally against me as a theist? before we start any conversation and although you felt you were quaiified to teach as a theist against the trinity and for the trinity you now feel you must go against God? not a default position?

• cofty
    cofty

so your totally against me as a theist?

NO!

Anti-theism NOT anti-theist

• cofty
    cofty

In other words I am against theism not against the people who believe it.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Cofty you were a Christian you were one who felt he could teach now i think you are against Christ (anti theism) as a Christian i'm not sure i should talk with you

Cofty is anti-theism a default position?

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Anti-theism NOT anti-theist

We hate the sin not the sinner. Nothing has changed, same old dogmatism. God this is boring.

• willmarite
    willmarite

If someone doesn't believe that's cool. But why hate the fact that other people do?

• cofty
    cofty

as a Christian i'm not sure i should talk with you - Ucant

Why not? Do you shun apostates?

why hate the fact that other people do? - Willmarite

I don't, but I think there is merit in encouraging rational thinking and exposing superstition, don't you?

same old dogmatism - xhippy

Dogma is the opposite of evidence-based thinking.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

it's not a about shunning. why would i bother. you believed and took the position as a teacher in the congregation i think. i wouldn't qualify. so how could i help one who was so clever.

now you are an anti theist. not just an atheist.

how do you define the word god?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit