The " HIGHER EDUCATION" thread!!!

by DATA-DOG 63 Replies latest jw friends

• KateWild
    KateWild

True. Like they say, “It’s not what you know but who you know.” SAHA

So true I agree, might as well marry the MD's son, just gotta find one now Kate xx

• cantleave
    cantleave

You get holidays from your job!!!!!

*sigh* what you call "holidays" everyone else would call work.

So if your not a brown nose your boss fancies you, if he is a man he is gay.

I had better tell his wife!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I can understand one thing clearly, and this come from the personal experience of running jobs and trying to find qualified help. I can completely understand wanting someone who has proven that they can dedicate themselves to doing a job right. I can see why having a degree is valuable in that sense. It shows that the individual was at least serious enough to persevere in their chosen field. I can see why an employer would value that.

The only thing better, in my opinion, is personally knowing someone who you have worked with in the trenches and hiring them. That is just because you know them, and you have seen their work. Those people are not always available anymore. Could it be because the emphasis on degrees for the sake of having a degree has created a generation gap between experienced workers and potentially great, yet unexperienced degree holders? I can't say.

If I was an employer and needed help, I would choose a person with no experience and a degree, over someone with no experience and no degree. I would do that because the degree shows me that they have some drive and the will to stick with something. It seems that a degree can be an indication that someone cares enough about something to work at it.

Of course it all depends on the job you are doing. If you have an architectural degree and have never used a shovel, then I would not choose you to help me pour some concrete when I have an experienced concrete finisher asking for work. So it depends on the circumstances too. I guess there are not any easy answers or choices in this life.

At any rate, the GB should stay out of it. If they were 100% honest about their organizations history, doctrines, faults, policies and finances, then they wold have nothing to fear from education. Since they are not an honest organization, they must rely on deception, half-truths, propaganda, fear mongering, intimidation, control of information and revisionist history. So there...

DD

• KateWild
    KateWild

At any rate, the GB should stay out of it.- DD

Well said, I hope more kids realise this and get an education.

Angus you lie mister they are holidays!!!! Kate xx

• DS211
    DS211

Working to live is the core of the JW structure....you work to death in secular and ministry just to scrape some kind of life....then you could sacrifice all that and still not gain salvation in the end if u slip up even a little

• Thoughtless
    Thoughtless

I went to Community College and finished it up in a year with honors and no debt. I have no regrets that I plan to transfer to another university to finish it up and continue with the rest of my education, hopefully with limited debt.

• scotoma
    scotoma

The USA has really screwed things up with tuition costs for higher education. When I should have gone to college (1963) tuition was $320 per year at the main state university. Today it's close to $11,000. If the tuition costs were adjusted for inflation they would only be $2,000 per year. I can see spending $10,000 for an education. But $45,000 is crazy.

The myth that a college degree at least proves that you are willing to work. That's BS. With todays costs it mostly means you were able to get your hands on the funds or take on unreasonable debt.

The problem is that businesses ought to pay for the education of their "slaves". Why should a person have to pay $45,000 to get a good job?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Yes, it's true, education is getting more expensive. My grandson wanted to attend a pricey private college. He wanted to be a minister, it was a religious college. But it was far more expensive than they had led him to believe, $127,000, by the end of four years. They would then pay for his advanced degree. But it would take him the rest of his life to pay off the loans. His parents wouldn't sign for it and I think it was the right decision, in this case. He really wasn't particularly interested in academics, nor very disciplined. He is now planning on enlisting in the Air Force, I hope it works out for him. My stepson went into the Marines and got out after eight years, with a college degree, some advanced courses and a high paying job. It can be done if you are disciplined and get into a good specialty.

I still think borrowing to get a degree can work, you just have to be sure you get into something that will get you a good job. Borrowing heavily to get a psychology degree is probably not a good idea, but there is always work for engineers. I live in the bay area (San Francisco) The tech industry is booming right now, so those fields are probably a good bet.

• scotoma
    scotoma

Simon and others have struck the right nerve. You get the education that will equip you to do what you enjoy doing.

People who do what they enjoy don't consider it work. Some people are cut out to be janitors. They like transforming a dirty place into a clean one.

Others have a strong desire to work at very complex problems.

This is where the JW.ORG gets it wrong.

They want everyone to be magazine salesmen or public speakers ignoring the fact that we all have "different gifts".

They make the exception for certain skills that are practical in the context of HQ activities. But even in that case they prevent some of the best people for those jobs because they don't pass the pioneer test. They also believe that anyone can do anything with the help of Holy Spirit.

By denying a person the chance to pursue their inner talents they are destroying their most valuable resource - the human resource.

That is why the JW.ORG is a freak. Other religions don't force people to do jobs they aren't cut out for.

The result is JW.ORG children that are raised according to the organization template are stopping their individual growth and natural identity formation. Adapting to a rigid one-size-fits-all structure is unhealthy. It works for some who like the JW.ORG structure but it is devasting to those who don't. Think of all the shy introverted persons who struggle with door to door work. They aren't effective publicists and have to beat themselves up to do that and then feel guilty because they don't have good results.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

education is not important because one can achieve anything one can set one's heart and mind on.

More and more in the field that I work in, I see academic qualifications being placed ahead of practical experience and demonstrated ability. That is why I have recently gone to the trouble and expense of enrolling on the Advanced Diploma course. (Incidentally, when my father was the same age as I am now, he was getting ready to retire in 12 months time , rather than upskilling for another 5 - 10 years of work. But then again he wasn't one of that generation who were facing the "fact" that they were "never going to die in this system."!)

Being just a busted-@ $ $ electrician - albeit one with extensive industry experience - was enough to get me into my present job. At that stage, all they were interested in was finding a person who could resolve the issues they were having with their emergency generators. To stay where I am, though, I am going to have to gain some formal qualifications that are acceptable to the Institute of Engineers.

OTHERWISE: .......... I could be back replacing lightbulbs at the local meat processing plant!

Bill.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit