The " HIGHER EDUCATION" thread!!!

by DATA-DOG 63 Replies latest jw friends

Male

Middle Aged

Lots of education, degrees, and more than one professional license.

Regrets about getting an education? Zero

Depriving young adults of "higher education" is one of the biggest sins of the Watchtower. Those who "serve" on the governing body deserve to be used as human spittoons.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

The downside is the student loans. They are crushing me and have ruined my credit rating. Had I gone to university when I was young my life would be so much better now. I hate the religion for preventing me from doing that.

There are certain limitations to the cliche "It is never too late".

I would have liked to have attempted the four year Bachelor course. However, tackling that part time (as I would have to do), by the time I graduated it would have little or no impact on my career. (I would be happy enough to go on working in the engineering field until I was well into my seventies - but my wife has got other ideas that I need to consider!)

Bill.

• d
    d

I am going for my bachlors. I also hope that my degree helps.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Chemistry and MBA paid for by employer.

Qualifications open the door, hard work and ability bring the success.

• KateWild
    KateWild

hard work and ability bring the success.-cantleave

Atm I am afraid I disagree, nepotism and brown nosing (good social skills) bring success, no matter the ability and hard work. Am I too synical or have I had exceptionally bad experiences?

That isn't to say University is wrong, you might meet your future spouse who's family own a multi-billion dollar comapany.

Kate xx

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Your point #2: "People who have been to college tell me to be wary of the system. They say that you can be ripped off, and be forced to pay for Universit"y required classes that are not really related to your chosen field. For me that means time and money wasted. Why should I pay for something I don't need?"

Is why I only got a tecnical 2 year degree. I was raised in the faith and I didn't base my decision on what they said. I believe that education is not important because one can achieve anything one can set one's heart and mind on. All it is, is proof that one took and passed those classes. A high achiever can do better with On the job training than most college graduates. I got a job in which I miss meetings and field service and thankful to God for that.

Education is not the problem with the WTS or FDS. It is that they want people to focus all their time and resources on the ministry and meetings so they can build up the organization.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

mamochen said: "The downside is the student loans. They are crushing me and have ruined my credit rating. Had I gone to university when I was young my life would be so much better now. I hate the religion for preventing mefrom doing that".

This I take issue with. How can the religion prevent you from doing anything? It is like saying that the law prevents one from speeding. It does not control my car but because of their powers they can punish one afterwards. But the religon can not punish one for going to University.

First of all, how would they know what one does on one's time unless you tell them. I don't see why anyone would tell anyone that.

And second, how can they punish one? Demote someone from being an elder or servant? That is not a punishment, that is a relief.

• SAHS
    SAHS

KateWild”: “. . . nepotism and brown nosing (good social skills) bring success, no matter the ability and hard work.”

True. Like they say, “It’s not what you know but who you know.”

You have to weigh the prospect of banging your head on the wall for several years hoping to successfully attain some certificate, diploma, or degree with the fact that there are many folks who fudge, misrepresent, and greatly “expand” their résumés to secure high-paying jobs – and get away with it! So, you might have legitimately acquired your qualifications by burning your brain on some technical or managerial discipline only to find out that the next guy has successfully bluffed and faked his way into it, perhaps by being a smooth talker or having a close family member or good friend get them in, and you’re left out in the cold that day.

It makes sense to pursue the higher education option with the greatest payoff for the most timely and efficient investment (in other words, something that gives you the biggest bang for your buck). A reasonable compromise can often do the trick in the long run. At the end of the day, when all is said and done, the things that really count are happiness, contentment, and serenity, and those don’t really have the necessary correlation to surpassing physical necessities that people may think.

Also, one must remember that things don’t always work out the way they “should,” and sometimes the “best” man doesn’t win and the biggest dog doesn’t get the bone.

• cantleave
    cantleave

nepotism and brown nosing (good social skills) bring success

Never brown nosed in my life - explains my lack of success, and I thought it was because I am a lazy sod!

• KateWild
    KateWild

LOL Angus. You get holidays from your job!!!!! that is success to me. So if your not a brown nose your boss fancies you, if he is a man he is gay. Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit