Did you ever have a supernatural experience?

by XPeterX 72 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

"Its easy to tell if your house is haunted. It isn't. Grow up." - Jimmy Carr, Royal Variety Performance.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

last week i had a seance, an old lady wrote letters and numbers on a desk and the five of us moved a glass around. suddenly we talked to the woman's grandma. what i don't quite understand though is why the answer to every single question was "sexy bastard"...

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Thank you to those who were prepared to discuss their experiences on this thread.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

my father also saw the same ghost i did a little while later. he turned out the light and BOO! there it was as it went passed him. made him jump. he described what i'd seen and where but i hadn't told him.

• rmt1
    rmt1

Both my converted JW parents had ghost stories that informed my craving for empirical and reproducable finding. My dad told me that as a child he had been chased by a leprechaun-type non-human who disappeared when looked at directly. He also said that as a teenager he had some kind of understanding with Satan and that Satan taught him how to manipulate people by word and thought. And my mom said that as a child she and some girls had played with a ouija board in the very house we lived at the time, and she said a green gas or spirit left the board, went out that window (she pointed) and came back in this window (she pointed) and then (whatever). One fertile narrative conceit I really enjoy in supernatural thrillers is that you cannot be victimized by what you do not believe in (e.g. Skeleton Key).

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I think it is just a label for something we do not understand :P ... In the time of Jesus there were people with sudden "demonic" experiences but nowadays we have proper labels for these deseases. Once I saw a documentary on television about a girl who got mentally ill and saw snakes near the television while in fact it were cables. She heard voices in her mind but she was a schizofrenic. So... were these people possesed? Or were they ill? I think it is the latter one.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

my mother said my father was rather shaken by the encounter, she said she'd never seen him like it. evidently he made his way rather quickly up to the bedroom. After a while he ventured out take a look down the stairs from the landing and sure enough there it was hanging around about two stairs up from the bottom. first place i'd seen it.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

If I told you my anecdotes about being abducted and gang probed by aliens, hearing the voice of my dead granddad (who i never met), seeing ghostly aparitions appear and disappear when i was six (yes I really thought I did!)... Tell me exactly WHY you should believe any of it no matter how much I protest it to be true?

People really do believe they have these experiences, but it does NOT mean they happened at all or in the way they perceived that they did. The mind can deceive itself and be easily deceived.

Anecdotes mean diddly squat. The person really really believing what they think happened means diddly squat. The vast majority of these types of scenarios can be ruled out as tricks of the mind. Childhood experiences in particular.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I was once part of an experience...... this is 100%true

Somone or something knocked on a neighbours door.....bang...bang...bang..... but when he opened it nobody was there....

He saw me and my friends running away down the street and I saw him, quite annoyed walking towards my parents house.

Lesson learned, don't play 'knock and run' too close to home....

spooky...

Snare xx

ps.. I hid in a tree all afternoon too scared to go home and face the consequences... t'was a nice tree x

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

Witness My Fury if increasing elements of your story could be corroborated from independent witnesses, then I would believe there was something to the experience.

If anecdotes mean nothing to you then why should what you say here mean anything either? It is only your subjective view point after all. People tell anecdotes about normal everyday experiences as well as unusual ones, that don’t require extraordinary evidence, yet some still lie or are mistaken about them but when witnesses to something are produced then it increases the credibility and belief level. The same is true for unusual experiences, because the question shifts as to why witnesses and independent witnesses if availed should or could collectively lie and have points of correlation, and the more points, the less likely it is lying in combination with coincidence. This has to be explained as here burden of proof shifts. The burden of proof is not with the event itself anymore until the other issue of witnesses is explained away. If it cannot be, the event is as likely true as it is unlikely the witnesses are mistaken. Then the hard questions of what the event means, or how it fits in with what we think we know about the universe can begin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit