Why do so many think JW Religion is a Cult? (NO APOSTATES PLEASE)

by Brother Mike 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

*facepalm*

Since you like to ignore meanings of words and make up your own, what is YOUR definition of cult, and why does the WTBS NOT fit it?

Because the definition that the rest of the world goes by for the term 'cult' fits the WTBS perfectly. And as they say, if it looks, walks and quacks like a duck....

Dont come here with such ignorance and expect to be handled with kid gloves just because your feelings are easily hurt. And don't forget that this CULT has gone to great lengths to damage the very members of this site. If you don't understand that, then either you have a lot of learning to do, or there is no hope for you.

If you still support the WTBS despite knowing (because we've told you) that it is NOT the truth, why do you continue to post here? You're welcome to of course, I'm just curious why.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

An apostate is one who leaves the JW religion

That is true for any religion, not just the Watchtower Society. The Watchtower's door-to-door work is intended to convince householders to become apostates from whatever other religion they hold.

and purposely tries to go out of there way to stop others from learning the truth.

That has nothing to do with the meaning of "apostate." That is the opinion of the Watchtower Society; it is an unjustified hyperbole used to impugn the character of those who leave their organization.

Why do so many think JW Religion is a Cult?

I prefer to say "high control group." The word "cult" has negative connotations that polarize the discussion and bring meaningful communication to a standstill (this thread is an example of that effect.) Those who have endured bitter experiences with the Watchtower's effect on their family, their friends and their own life often refer to the organization using strong and disparaging language; that is human nature. Frankly, "cult" is a rather benign word to describe the root growing the bitter fruit so many former Witnesses have endured.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Brother Mike:

An apostate is one who leaves the JW religion and purposely tries to go out of there way to stop others from learning the truth.

Wrong. An apostate is any person who leaves any group due to a disagreement with that group's teachings, ideals, etc. As such, any person who leaves any religion (or other belief system) to become a JW is an apostate.

JWs use the term apostate in a special way as a propaganda technique. (Using special terms for outsiders or defectors is itself one of the hallmarks of a cult.)

*** g00 6/22 p. 6 The Manipulation of Information ***
    Name-Calling
    Some people [Jehovah's Witnesses] insult those who disagree with them by questioning character or motives instead of focusing on the facts. Name-calling slaps a negative, easy-to-remember label [such as "apostate"] onto a person, a group, or an idea. The name-caller hopes that the label will stick. If people reject the person or the idea on the basis of the negative label instead of weighing the evidence for themselves, the name-caller’s strategy has worked.

Your use of "the truth" is also an improper semantical reference to what you really mean: 'whatever happens to be taught by JWs at any particular time'. Obviously a person who doesn't believe JW teachings to be true cannot at the same time want to "stop others from learning the truth".

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The elders manual.... a secret book for the hierarchy that you will deny exists despite knowing it does...

this is not normal... You have a television, if that was shown on a documentary you would call that belief system a cult and crazy, and this is hardly the start with Watchtower bizzareness.....

Disfellowshipping/shunning family and friends

Not reading any opposing views

Higher education frowned upon

Ambition frowned upon

Independant thinking frowned upon

Questioning the hierarchy frowned upon

Association with non members frowned upon

Getting all information on history, science, doctrine from one source..the 'society' whose opinion is superior to even experts E.g. 607bce

The non biblical concept of 'new light' and adjusting literature retrospectively to cover embarassment

Misinformation on medical procedures

Allowing blood products thag have come from a human blood donation, but not allowing the products all at once

First predicting 1914 as the date of Armageddon based on the measurments of the gaza pyramid

Every congregations sending monthly set financial amounts to HQ

The society being an 'institutional investor' to hedge funds on the stock market.

• Splash
    Splash

Hi Brother Mike.

I'm still going to meetings. You never know, i might be giving the talk at your hall this weekend.

The word Apostate is a very powerful one in JW land and is often used to label anyone who disagrees with current JW teachings. By definition, the GB can never be apostate because when they disagree with JW teaching, their new ideas BECOME JW teaching! Odd huh?

Anyway, when you realise how much fear YOU personally have of the WT and elders etc, then you will also begin to realise why some call it a cult.

Agape bro, Splash

• Blueeyes54
    Blueeyes54

Thank you Snare & Racket for your list posting. It is very accurate to the letter. I was a dedicated witness for 50 years. I have read every piece of literature available since Charles T. Russell. I had access to two complete libraries outside of WT headquarters, so I was able to find out the facts for myself. I am not an apostate, although I was falsely accused of being one. Wt has changed the definition of the word to suit their control methods. An apostate hates Jehovah God and His son Jesus, and all that they represent.

There are many who have been removed from WT because they researched WT own libarary and found inconsistancies. They did not go around spreading their information to others or online, but tried to work through the organizational channels. For their truthful efforts, they were removed and branded as apostates.

When I encounter anyone who fits this discription, I always ask them if they still love Jehovah and His son Jesus? If they say yes, then I will work with them. Jesus said he came to find the lost sheep of Isreal, not of the nations. Isreal was Jehovah's people and Jesus earthly family. Lost sheep were people the elders of the day, the Pharisees and Saduccees would not allow into the temple, and or who got discourged and went to live in the wilderness. John the Baptist also went to find them in the wilderness. He was dearly loved by the "misfits" of Isreal.

WT likes to bring the Korah example up when dealing with those who do not agree with them. Moses was humble and had Korah and his followers appear in front of all the people. Any witnesses in defense of Korah or against him were heard. Them Moses let Jehovah deal with Korah. Moses and the elders did not remove Korah. Even earlier when the direction of Moses and Aaron was questioned, Moses asked that the dead wood staffs be brought forward and the one that budded would be the high priest. He did not have a problem with what God decided in matters of leadership.

I feel that the situation is much like the Pharisees, who put themselves in the seat of Moses. Great humility is needed.

• Splash
    Splash

Final thought:

Why not grow a neat and tidy beard to see for yourself how a cult enforces man made (non-scriptural) rules in order to control elements of peoples lives that it has no right controlling.

You would be spoken to, privileges removed, viewed with suspicion, maybe even asked if you are apostate!

Best that you give up your own preference to comply with the JW law if you ask me.

Splash

• adamah
    adamah

Mike say-

Guys the WBTS does not say what not to be on. It's you independent choice to decide what's right and wrong. And don't you dare use that against me out of this context.

You're clearly not familiar with the Watchtower of July 15, 2011, then?

What is involved in avoiding false teachers? We do not receive them into our homes or greet them. We also refuse to read their literature, watch TV programs that feature them, examine their Web sites, or add our comments to their blogs. Why do we take such a firm stand? Because of love. We love “the God of truth,” so we are not interested in twisted teachings that contradict his word of truth.

Watchtower, July 15, 2011

Mike, you'd agree I didn't take your words "out of context", right? You just seem somewhat ignorant of what the GB tells you your beliefs are supposed to be....

Adam

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Blueeyes54:

An apostate hates Jehovah God and His son Jesus, and all that they represent.

Not only is that not the correct definition of apostate (see my previous post), but it's also plainly illogical. There would be very few people (and even fewer former JWs) who believe in (the Abrahamic) God & Jesus and hate 'all that they represent'. Most people who leave the JW religion either still believe in God and worship him in some way, or do not believe he exists at all, making 'hatred' redundant.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Indeed blue eyes, it is a hard and bitter pill to swallow.... But its reality. When examimng your belief systems, be it Wt or Islam or Mormonism or Catholisism etc, one must decide whether they hold comfort or truth on high?... It isn't easy if you choose truth.

As for definitions of apostacy etc, these are words in someone elses game, not mine. I find people make their own rules up dependant on the game they are playing. For me, I do not use such terminology, it is used to incite fear and control In my opinion. But then I chose TRUTH over comfort.

snare x

ps, nice eyes ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit