Why do so many think JW Religion is a Cult? (NO APOSTATES PLEASE)

by Brother Mike 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

My question is, Why do so many think the Watchtower Bible Tract Society is a Cult?

• mauiboy
    mauiboy

Have you looked up 'cult'in a dictionary? When I did, I noticed the only thing that differentiated JW's from a cult was that they have 8 leaders --the Governing Body-- instead of one. Other than that Jehovh's Witnesses and their legal arm The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, fit squarely into the definition of "cult": their own "language", secret books (Shepherd the Flock of God in your Care" for elders ONLY), no financial statements made available to the public, standing hard and fast on rules even if they are not for the good of the majority (the 2-witness rule)......the list goes on ad infinitum.

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

I'm boggled that you have information like the elders manual first of all, and second of all I asked for no apostates. Thank you.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket
    Behaviour Control Thought Control
    • Regulation of individual's physical reality, for example, what clothes, colors, hairstyles the person wears
    • Major time commitment required for indoctrination sessions and group rituals
    • Individualism discouraged; "group think" prevails
    • Rigid rules and regulations
    • Need for obedience and dependency
    • Need to internalize the group's doctrine as "Truth"
    • Black and White thinking - Good vs. Evil, us vs. them, inside vs. outside
    • Use of "loaded" language (for example, "thought-terminating clichés"). Words are the tools we use to think with. These "special" words constrict rather than expand understanding, and can even stop thoughts altogether. They function to reduce complexities of experience into trite, platitudinous "buzz words."
    • Only "good" and "proper" thoughts are encouraged.
    • No critical questions about leader, doctrine, or policy seen as legitimate
    • No alternative belief systems viewed as legitimate, good, or useful
    Information Control Emotional Control
    • Use of deception
    • Deliberately holding back information
    • Distorting information to make it more "acceptable"
    • Outright lying
    • Access to non-cult sources of information minimized or discouraged
    • Books, articles, newspapers, magazines, TV, radio
    • Critical information
    • Former members
    • Keep members so busy they don't have time to think and check things out.
    • Compartmentalization of information; Outsider vs. Insider doctrines
      • Information is not freely accessible
      • Information varies at different levels and missions within pyramid
      • Leadership decides who "needs to know" what and when
    • Spying and reporting on other members
    • Extensive use of cult generated information and propaganda
    • Newsletters, magazines, journals, audio tapes, videotapes, and other media
    • Misquotations, statements taken out of context from non-cult sources
    • Confession
    • Make the person feel that if there are ever any problems, it is always their fault, never the leader's or the group's.
    • Excessive use of guilt
    • Excessive use of fear
      • Fear of thinking independently
      • Fear of the "outside" world
      • Fear of enemies
      • Fear of losing one's "salvation"
      • Fear of leaving the group or being shunned by group
      • Fear of disapproval
    • Phobia indoctrination: inculcating irrational fears about ever leaving the group or even questioning the leader's authority. The person under mind control cannot visualize a positive, fulfilled future without being in the group.
    • No happiness or fulfilment outside of the group
    • Terrible consequences will take place if you leave: hell, demon possession, incurable diseases, accidents, suicide, insanity, 10,000 reincarnations, etc.
    • Shunning of leave takers; fear of being rejected by friends, peers, and family
    • Never a legitimate reason to leave. From the group's perspective, people who leave are "weak," "undisciplined," "unspiritual," "worldly," "brainwashed by family or counselor," or "seduced by money, sex, rock and roll."
  • bennyk
    bennyk

Many people may have noticed that the Watch Tower Society exhibits

Dr. Robert J. Lifton's Eight Criteria for Thought Reform

which are often considered to be the criteria for defining a cult.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

'Brother Mike' your definition of apostate is what?

Anyone leaving a belief system is an apostate, I assume you feel that nobody can legitimatly leave a religion? Maybe come back and ask questions once your mind matures.

oh and concerning your comments about the elders manual, that itself ticks a few boxes under 'cult'

• Information is not freely accessible
    • Information varies at different levels and missions within pyramid
    • Leadership decides who "needs to know" what and when
  • Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Mike,

Do you believe there is such a thing as a cult in the pejorative sense?

If so, what do you believe are the marks of a cult of Christianity?

• Brother Mike
  • paladin
    paladin

I 'm still involved with the Watchtower and I think it is due to the disfellowshipping and shunning policy of the WTS that it a cult. It is all about control over the rank & file members.

• Brother Mike
    Brother Mike

Thank you snare for calling me immature. I'm glad we can all act like adults here. Sarcasm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit