Who wants to live forever?

by Doug Mason 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• uriah
    uriah

To an eternal being time is of no consequence; only to us finite beings time has any meaning. We tend to live in one of two places - the past or the future. Always we are rushing somewhere or dwelling on the past - we never seem to just be in the NOW.

I am reading a great book at the moment called 'On the other hand - the little anthology of big questions' by Renée Paule (google for more info) and it says on time that "Time doesn’t feel natural to us; it curtails our more enjoyable and challenging activities and stretches out the dull and mundane ones. What’s happening here? Time slows down when we’re focused on things we would rather came to an end but, when we’re enjoying ourselves we live more in the Now and become unaware of the clock".

When we are born everything is in the future - school, work, death. Alan Watts (google for more info) said that we miss it all because we treat life as though there is some important end we must reach. We treat life as just the annoying part of getting to the end, what ever that may be. Doing so means we miss out on life because, as he says, life is a musical thing and we are supposed to sing or dance as the music plays. The JW's are masters at making you look only to the future - salvation is sometime soon. How many JW's have died never having lived at all?

• blondie
    blondie

Of course jws choose living forever because the only other choice is being dead forever.

• LucidChimp
    LucidChimp

Me.

I'll take some of that forever if you're handing it out.

I might not want it in the end, but what the hell... Yolo.

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

I would love to have the chance to explore the vast universe but because I don't have a TARDIS it is very unlikely I will ever leave earth. I cannot yet fathom how long is long enough for me if I had great health. All I know is I don't want it to end yet I know it will.

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Hmmm, to live forever, hmmmm, let me think...from the hours of 7am to 9am- rush hour, then from 4pm to 7pm, rush hour...if we have these many people bumper to bumper at these times, what will it be like if trillions are resurrected & all live forever...oops, forgot, maybe we won't have to work. We'll be like God intented us to be...NAKED & HAPPY...

All kidding aside, living forever, depends on one's health. According to the Society, we will have plenty to do, like clean up after many will die, so for the first few years according to the JW's we'll be burying dead bodies...will Jehovah supply masks & gloves...

It's boggles the mind to think that one can live 4 Ever.

Legacy

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I concur. Why? I mean, life is grand, but after a long life, enough is enough.

is it? I completely disagree. You would only feel that you have lived enough if you spend day after day doing the same old thing.

There is no doubt in my mind that i will end my life without doing 1 percent of everything i wanted to accomplish. So many places to go and see, so many books and movies and people to meet. Hobbies to discover, musical intruments to learn, etc etc etc etc.

The real issue is that conceptually, living forever in paradise as the Watchtower presents it, seems incredibly boring and unfullfilling. There is only so much planting flowers, smile at each other and sitting around watching a lion and sheep graze together, that you can take. Who wants to do that?

Yes i want to live forever, but HERE and NOW. There has never been a better time to be alive. There are so many good things at your reach that weren't there 50, 100, or 200 years ago, that it's mind boggling. This is paradise.

If you put 7 million JWs in a piece of land and you kill all other humans ( you know the ones you keep things functioning), these 7 million JWs will have a miserable life. Living standards would revert back to 1000 years ago. Gas stations, supermarkets, utility companies are GONE.

Yup, get your shovel and some seeds and get to work, And don't forget to keep rubbing those two sticks together to get a fire going.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

DOUG MASON . . . . .. .you're seventy-fucking-three!?!??!?!??!??!!

As far as I'm concerned, you have the mind of a twenty-fucking-three year old!

Whatever you're doing, you're doing it right!!!!!!

BOC

• linuxbob
    linuxbob

One lifetime with the dubs is enough for me...I certainly do not need eternity.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes, 80 seems like a lot of years to someone still much younger, but not to someone (in good health) who is 78. They got to see their kids grow up and hopefully become successful adults, then the grandkids, maybe the great-grandkids appear on the world scene. Why wouldn't they enjoy every other generation as they are born?

Pick the age at which you think you'll have had enough.

When you get there, you'll hope for 20 more years.

Doc

• James Brown
    James Brown

People only want to die when there is something wrong.

If you dont want to die at 30 why would you want to die at 6o or 70 or 100.

If you live forever you can eventually have your own planet and play God.

And listen to everybody tell you how to do it.

Or just be a hard axx.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit