Who wants to live forever?

by Doug Mason 53 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

The gods envy us. Because we are mortal, because we are doomed, each moment is so much more precious.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

A thousand years would be great, and enough. Interesting how the Bible has so much detailed description of persons living hundreds of years way back when.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Not only is it impossible for humans to live forever on earth, it is incomprehensible. I don't think most JWs think past the 1000 years. Living for trillions of years would become unbearably mundane. With our mental capacity physically limited by how much it can store as memory, the majority of our lives would not even be remembered.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I was all for living forever until I heard that we would continue to have meeting to go to forever in the new system. f-that!

• unstopableravens
    unstopableravens

of course,

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

I want to thank every one of you for sharing your innermost thoughts. I look forward to reading more; this question affects our attitdude to our everyday life. Yes, I am old: 73. I do not want to give my own personal view at this stage, since I do not want to make it appear as if I am winding up the discussion.

I wonder what the effect was of seeing the title, of thinking about your response, and of reading what others told you about themselves. Not in an argumentive way, but with respect.

Doug

• Syme
    Syme

Let me tell you how it is to live for some 5 billion years:

The Sun, coming to the end of its life, will continue to gain volume, like a baloon, and it will literally consume the Earth before blowing off to a supernova. The other possibility is it will start to shrink until it becomes a white dwarf. Again, all life on Earth will cease because of zero temperatures.

The universe itself will eventually die, either by collapsing, smashing everything in a singularity, or by continuing expanding until all stars are dead, ending in a completely void, cold non-universe.

AND YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER.

• zeb
    zeb

you guys have never seen Tasmania. It is an island state of Australia. Pure water, pure air forests aplenty. massive lakes. nice people.... and for those who dont want to live on the que for dying is on the left.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

For me, this present life is too short, I am fast catching up with you Doug, and bloody hell mate, that IS old !

I have so many things I would like to do, I neither have the time or the cash for most of them. If I could live another 40 or 50 years in good health with a good income and with my youthfulness back, that would be fantastic ! but of course, impossible.

I think, just maybe by then, I may be ready to pop off, but I am not sure about that, I think if you had a good all round quality of life and eternal youth, then most people would put off actually ending their life by choice.

Reality is harsh compared with the WT Con Trick promise.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Zeb, I have seen Tasmania. I was born there. It is beautiful, but I couldn't live there for more than twenty years. As much as I loved being overwhelmed by the beauty for a few minutes every day, I then want lots of people an action. Maybe if the pictures of paradise were of the center of Hong Kong, and not just a few people scattered from one end of the horizon to the other, I would long for it more.

Yes, I am old: 73.

Doug, I do not want to die. I love every minute of every day. I am only 44, but and every day I have a small fear it may be my last from an accident, and I will not get to see my child grow up, and he won't grow up with a father. At 73 I would not be so worried, but I still would not want to think death was near. I would be more comfortable with death as I near 100, having lived a fully and fruitful life, but even then doubt I would want to die. But living forever and living for thousands of years are very different things.

It reminds me of Isaiah 65:17-25, which is misapplied by Jehovah's Witnesses. There it says, "No more will there come to be a suckling a few days old from that place, neither an old man that does not fulfill his days; for one will die as a mere boy, although a hundred years of age... " That was the dream of the Jews, to live to 100, healthy and fulfilled. That is my dream as well.

I just realised that your question was about living forever, not living forever on earth. I would love the idea of living forever in a spirit realm. It is far more appealing than the JW version of being confined to this planet. In a spirit world, everything could be possible, and unlimited. That would be very appealing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit