How can I stay motivated for field ministry?

by jgnat 56 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

What I get back is Watchtower-speak, how he SHOULD be motivated. How it is a life-saving work, bla bla. His most honest reply after it is obvious he is skipping again is, who would be out in this weather?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

who would be out in this weather?

.............Crazy JW`s..

....................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• mind blown
    mind blown

Reverse psyhology. True. I'd suggest taking a flask for a nip in the cold weather and an Ipod.......bye honey.... have a great day.....:)

Then when he comes home tell him of a great book you read and all the wonderful things you did with your time.....

• jgnat
    jgnat

To pique his jealousy I would have to read a book with babes on the cover.

Scoundrel

• mind blown
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

I'm with Ding on this one, ask him why he thinks he isn't motivated? Get him to talk about why he doesn't want to go knock on doors of mostly empty houses accompanied by boring people without an original thought in their heads. And if he ever does actually get to talk to someone about "The Bible" (READ: WT propaganda) what is the typical response?

On the other hand, what--if anything--is your hubby excited about? I'd spend more time talking about THAT!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I don't think he's had a single opportunity to speak to a householder.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I wouldn't encourage him to do it. And, i wouldn't discourage him to not go. If you mock him in any way, will he go into defensive mode? Then, he will have to prove to you that"he's strong" and go out in service.

What day(s) does he normally go out on? Have another activity planned for that day, and let him know in advance. In his mind, he will then replan a service day that isn't on his normal schedule as make-up, at most. But becuase make-up is not his normal group, no one will be waiting/expecting him. And, he will be much more likely to skip his make-up day. This is especially true if he's trying to avoid going out with someone. Remember, how many JWs avoid each other!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Ask what he things he has been achieving over the years going door to door. How many people has he converted, how many people he has spoken to that now have a clear understanding of what JWs teach the Good news of the kingdom is. If his answer it no one, maybe he would realise his time could be better spent doing other things.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've got the feeling if I continue do to as skeeter describes, nature will take it's course. I'm trying to ease the disconnect between what he "should" appreciate and what his authentic self is screaming. I agree that mockery is counter-productive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit