How can I stay motivated for field ministry?

by jgnat 56 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Another thought, have someone from another religion try to "witness" to him. Something really wierd, like Islam or Hindu. Something that he isn't familiar with. Then, ask him how he felt about someone trying to change his spiritual belief. See if he gets it that people don't like to change their religion.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yeah, that's how one non-JW spouse got the JW spouse out of Sunday meetings. If he went to a Sunday meeting, she had the next 5 Sunday meetings planned with events that she shouldn't attend alone. SErvice is even easier to get out of, then a Sunday meeting. Check out the newspaper for activities/events. If service is on Saturday, you might have him so tired that he misses Sunday's meeting as well. It would be a 2-for-1 deal!

• jgnat
    jgnat

hah! I've done better than that. We had a neighbour, Wicca, that hubby adored. I attended some of her services and related all to hubby. He has trouble reconciling this adorable woman to her beliefs. That's right, honey. Connect.the.dots.

• jgnat
    jgnat

We've had it so easy the past two years in a remote town with no Kingdom Hall. Now, back in the city, he is having a LOT of trouble getting in to all the activities he is supposed to be doing.

• adamah
    adamah

Jgnat, I'd reinforce what others have said, and see if you can get him to identify specific reasons WHY he's not motivated to go out from D2D, rather than just a generalized apprehension which he cannot quite put his finger upon. Sometimes having to replay the experiences in his mind are helpful, making him label specifics.

At any rate, you're helping him to get in touch with what motivates him to do OTHER things in life, as well, so if nothing else, your helping him to sort through his unvoiced emotions and feelings in this manner will hopefully spill over into other decisions he makes, and not go through life as if someone who doesn't think about their actions.

Adam

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have mentioned that this man is NOT self-aware? He doesn't know why he wakes up in the morning! He lives from his gut. He's a great foil for me, a cerebral babe. Seriously, I think I am better off giving him more and more opportunities just to DO what he naturally loves doing. He'll never figure out why.

• adamah
    adamah

jgnat said-

We've had it so easy the past two years in a remote town with no Kingdom Hall. Now, back in the city, he is having a LOT of trouble getting in to all the activities he is supposed to be doing.

Yup, there's that incessant JW guilt complex of never feeling like you're doing enough.

Work on that one, too, OK?

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Now that you're back in town, are the JWs coming to see him? I'd directly ask them if they are there counting their time when they visit him! And, I'd ask them if they'd still visit him if he wasn't interested in the JWs. You see, JWs like your husband think the JWs are genuinely interested in them, when they are there counting time and trying to convert.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, yeah. I have that one down pat, "I am sure Jehovah understands." Isn't it funny how much more forgiving Jehovah is than the local congregation?

• adamah
    adamah

jgnat said-

I have mentioned that this man is NOT self-aware? He doesn't know why he wakes up in the morning! He lives from his gut. He's a great foil for me, a cerebral babe. Seriously, I think I am better off giving him more and more opportunities just to DO what he naturally loves doing. He'll never figure out why.

Well THAT'S another matter entirely, since you may WANT to keep him the way he is, and NOT wake him up, lol! Once you break their suppression techniques, it's much harder to put the cork back in the bottle... Cult members are lovable and so easily-manipulated, huh?

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit