C,O's,D,O's from down under...who remembers??

by karter 72 Replies latest jw experiences

• WinstonSmith
    WinstonSmith

Hey Joe, I grew up sitting behind Glendenning the meetings. Don't remember too much about him as I was young. I'm fairly sure they moved to the South Island and are still there.

We were good friends with Kelvin and Sarah. Good memories of he and I sitting on my patio sipping beers while the BBQ sizzled away. The best times to have COs over was Sunday evenings because all their work was done and their weekend was underway.

Tell me more about the talk of his that started you on the way out....

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Remember Allan Mason and Gary Spalding vaguely. Had Don Wilson as a CO myself, Hopscotch, and I found him to be very nice. He was the only CO who went out of his way to invite me witnessing with him, me, a lowly sister who wasn't pioneering or married.

I also remember Harold Hiscox- met him once in a dinner group, and saw him give talks on every DC. Pompous guy.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And Ray Lamont- dry as something dug from Tutankhamun's tomb and nowhere near as interesting.

• geevee
    geevee

A few of these Aussie CO's retired to a town in Victoria for a while.

Charles Marriot. Hans Hubler [now dead] Peter Madsen whilst his wife Dorothy died, then he married. He used to like to stay with the "wealthier" ones.

How about Joe Lewinski? He could turn any situation to his advantage [financially!!]

• geevee
    geevee

What happened to David Pottage? Steve [blind as a bat] Barge?

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Peter Madsen - that was the guy whose name I couldn't remember. Thanks Geevee

Doofdaddy could it have been Bruce Fenson you are thinking about? He had a bit of a Bob Hawke look. He was a really decent guy. He had spent many years in the corporate world as a business consultant and had raised a family so was a lot more realistic in his outlook.

Julia we had Don Wilson visit just after he started on the circuit work. Maybe he mellowed over time but he was quite disliked in our circuit.

Hopscotch

• karter
    karter

Winstonsmith, i think you are talking about "Geff Steveions" can't remember his wifes name she was from Queenstown.

Hans Hubler dead can't say i'm sorry when he came to my congro they had problems getting people to have them over for meals.

Glendenning ended up in the south island as both his daughters moved there.

Anyone remember Graham and Annita Whendalborn?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Thanks for the reply Hopscotch but no that name doesn't ring any bells but what you said about his background is exactly like this guy I'm trying to think of. Business/corporate

• geevee
    geevee

Stuart Dougal, Doug Bright, Eric Roseveare,

These are a couple of others who were around

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Hans Hubler, I think he was involved in a major row when serving where the need was greater in New Caledonia. I think it was half discussed in a YB report. Unpleasant business

Rex Manwaring - one of those people who seem simple but may be really complex. Another XJW knew him quite well, and tells this story.

When RM was a special pioneer, he was assigned to a town that was really tough to witness in. Simply no-one had interest (Quite a few towns like that in country areas). And RM told my friend he was getting so down-hearted, nearly always working alone, and never being able to discuss the Bible, that when one morning, the next house was the Catholic Presbytery, he decided to knock on that door** too. The priest came to the door, and invited him in and RM spent the morning there, explaining to my friend that nothing came of it, but it allowed him a chance to talk about the bible.

** What do you guys remember? I have the impression that generally, most JWs bypassed the homes of clergy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit