Why Eve sinned (WT 8/2013)

by EdenOne 154 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Adamah: so you and all other believers should say, "freedom of choice" instead of "free will".

Yes, that's actually a better wording for what it is.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty: You are asking why human suffering is more significant than that of a bug and you seriously expect me to answer. Really?

I'm asking why, if evolution was a blind, random string of happy genetic accidents that lead to the Homo Sapiens 200.000 years ago, why should God treat the Homo species any different than any other mammal species on the planet? What obligation would God have to relief the pain and suffering from man, any more than he would have towards any other "inferior" animal - given that we know nowadays that the brain of any mammal feels pain and anguish and anxiety just like the brain of a human being?

And yes, I expect an educated answer.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

As I have said many times in this forum, animal suffering is a powerful argument against a loving god. You are hurting your own argument.

given that we know nowadays that the brain of any mammal feels pain and anguish and anxiety just like the brain of a human being?

We don't actually know any such thing. However I do think that one day we will look back and cringe at our disregard for animal welfare

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

We don't actually know any such thing.

Yes, we actually do. As recently as three weeks ago, a study was published with Dogs, using MRI's, that the same areas of the dog's brain that are activated when the dog is subjected to pain, anguish or stress match the exact same brain areas as the human brain when subjected to the same stimulous. So yes, we know. If I had the time, i could look up the article for you, but I'm just too tired right now.

animal suffering is a powerful argument against a loving god.

No, but it's an argument in favor of a cold, random evolution for sure.

Still, where's your answer?

Eden

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

So, Eden... When did humans get souls? Did gawd inject Adam and Eve with souls right after he made them?

• cofty
    cofty

Eden I am getting frustrated. You are being obtuse.

Let's agree that all but the simplest life forms are capable of experiencing pain to a greater or lesser extent.

If the scenario you desribe in your OP is correct it follows that your god passively observed the suffering of all living things for millions of years without offering help or hope.

This tells us a lot about the character of such a god if he/she actually exists.

I'm off to bed. Try thinking it through before you respond.

• QC
    QC

Keeps dementia away in old age, or so I've heard.

Now I understand. Imagination running wild fires neurotransmitters and exercises cerebral muscle, a way to protect your mind from dementia.

I understand, it’s JWN therapy.

OK.

Had me scared for a minute, found myself seeing things cofty’s way.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

What a confused lil bunny........

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

CO:

So, Eden... When did humans get souls? Did gawd inject Adam and Eve with souls right after he made them?

I don't pretend to know or even speculate how exactly that happened; only that I theorize that Adam and Eve were given a spiritual bonding of sonship with God, something that the other human beings that existed outside Eden didn't have. You may call that "soul", if you'd like.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty: If the scenario you desribe in your OP is correct it follows that your god passively observed the suffering of all living things for millions of years without offering help or hope. This tells us a lot about the character of such a god if he/she actually exists.

In my scenario, what makes you think that God was even paying attention to this tiny planet? In such a vast universe, why do you even presume that, during the millions of years while the evolution of life took place, God was even paying the slightest attention to us? Why do we feel that the universe is all about US?

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit