Why Eve sinned (WT 8/2013)

by EdenOne 154 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

This is just making things up. It could be a great novel. The arguments are not consistent. Where is nothing in homo sapiens that explains why God would take interest. With our wars and communal strike, we are more destructive than any other animal. Look at what we did to a valuable ecosystem.

I will never forget the blessing of the animals on St. Francis Day when the dean of the cathedral read a poem as part of the sermon and declared that we should consider cockroaches dear creatures and kiss them. It was hard not to vomit. Indeed, before the grand procession of the animals led by an elephant, a gorgeous wolfhound, monkeys, the clergy captured a local rat and gathered up some some roaches. It was then that I decided to change my position and move far away from the center aisle.

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? What does this speculation prove? Perhaps I am too analytical. I could write about biting into a madeleine or five tips for catching cute guys.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty: It is scientifically impossible that humans share a common ancestor just 6000 years ago.

You're twisting my arguments. Have I ever said that in my hypothetic scenario? Are you even reading?

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

Are you even reading?

I'm trying to but it's such a muddle.

Did you say that all modern humans descended from Adam and Eve?

If not please explain as succinctly as possible.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Finkelstein: A loving and just god would have given her a second chance.

I tend to agree with you. Except, their death wasn't a punishment. It was simply the natural consequence of their severing the spiritual bond with their creator, which would have resulted in them having the possibility to live forever in the spiritual realm once their natural life on earth was completed. God didn't say:" In the day you eat from the fruit I shall kill you". No, he said "you shall die". This doesn't mean God killed them as punishment, does it?

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Cofty, in my scenario, God kickstarted the universe and the laws of physics that rule it. Then things evolved in the way science says they did, perhaps God tinkering with life here and there. This evolutionary process resulted in the evolution of life and then early hominids and then the Homo Sapiens. At this point, some 6.000 years ago, God took interest in this species that was sophisitcated enough to be elevated to a higher level, but lacked a spiritual bond with God, the bond of sonship such as the one the spiritual creatures enjoyed. So God decided to create two Homo Sapiens who were given that spiritual bond from inception. These were Adam and Eve, in everything else physically similar to the other humans.

skip forward

Things didn't go as planned and that couple loses their sonship status with thir creator. God still takes care of them for a while, but they are no longer living in the controlled environment of Eden. Their descendants mix with the other Homo Sapiens outside the Garden of Eden, and whatever genetic fingerprint they might have had merged with the rest of mankind.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

So do Adam and Eve have any descendants today?

Is there anybody alive today who has no connection to Adam and Eve?

• Laika
    Laika

Eden,

It's good to see you wrestling with these ideas, don't let anyone put you down for growing at your own pace.

I think, however, it might help to read some modern bible scholarship on the origins and purpose of the Genesis story, which will help you to get an idea of what the writers were trying to convey when they wrote it (more a theological story than an historical or scientific one). Most of the pentateuch was likely completed in it's final form just after the exile from Babylon, as Israelites tried to understand and explain how the fall to Babylon should be understood in light of their belief that they were chosen as God's nation, it was probably not written by Moses.

Peter Enns is a very good scholar if you want a Christian perspective on all this.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A little off topic, hubby came home flush from the meeting, all excited about the analogy between Eve and Christ. He asked me, seriously, how they were different? I leaned over and intoned, "First of all, one is a woman..."

P.S. This is why he doesn't want to study with me.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

So do Adam and Eve have any descendants today?

Is there anybody alive today who has no connection to Adam and Eve?

I have no idea, but I would suppose there are plenty of people living today that may have some geneological connection with Adam and Eve; However, the majority won't have any connection with them. But that's completely irrelevant, as "sin" isn't transmitted genetically.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

jgnat - haha Classic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit