Why Eve sinned (WT 8/2013)

by EdenOne 154 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

EdenOne,

Interesting analysis of the text. I have to say that the story of the Garden of Eden is probably one of the most interpreted stories in the Bible. You made mention of the idea that God would have ultimately allowed Adam and Eve to eat from the Tree of Knowledge, yet you made no mention (that I can recall) of the Tree of Life. The fact that two distinct trees are mentioned in the myth is important. The fact that one is accessible and the other outside the limits or boundaries of man is also very important. The tree of knowledge or "wisdom" as you mention, is simply a means to an end, an explanation, a cause....the effect, sin. There is, in my opinion, no other purpose for the tree.

I have commented several times before that the story of the Garden of Eden, in fact the entire pre-Mosaic portion of Genesis, simply serves the purpose of distinguishing the Jew or Israelite from other peoples. It is akin to the legends built around any nation-state. The U.S. history books are replete with the notion of legends. The Paul Revere story, the George Washington and cherry tree story, the Benedict Arnold story. They all serve a purpose in identifying what became the nation. If you read the book of Genesis from that perspective, you will find less mysticism and more political propaganda.

SOP

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

SoP,

It's most relevant that God put two trees in Eden, the tree of Wisdom and the Tree of Life. It's also relevant that God only made express mention prohibition towards the Tree of Wisdom, while no such stern warning is given towards the Tree of Life - and yet, God puts no guards around the Tree of Wisdom, while putting guards and a revolving sword to keep A & E at bay from the Tree of Life. What do you make of it?

In my opinion, the order on which the trees are presented has significance. It appears that you can only access eternal life after you have gained wisdom.

Makes no sense to reason that God has put the Tree of Wisdom in the garden as a test to Adam and Eve. That goes against the principle described in James 1:13 -"God doesn't tempt anyone [with evil]". Rather, God is described as the source of "every good and perfect gift" (James 1:17). That tree was there because at some point God would allow that couple to eat its fruit, and gain wisdom - wisdom that would prepare them step into a higher level of life, the spiritual life. After that, they would be ready to eat from the Tree of Life, marking their passage from the material world into the spiritual realm, where they would enjoy eternal life.

(Turns out that Satan told Eve a half truth - by eating from the Tree of Wisdon, they would become "like God". What he didn't mention was, in doing so in disregard of God's orders, they were severing the spiritual bond of sonship with God and their access to the spiritual realm altogether. Who knows? Maybe Satan was jealous that God had granted inferior creatures the possibility to raise to spiritual beings status, and he decided to take matters into his own hands and screw God's plans).

Without wisdom, they could eat as many times as they might from the Tree of Life - they just wouldn't live forever here on earth. God wasn't concerned with keeping them from access to the Tree of Life until the moment they ate from the Tree of Wisdom. Why would God be worried that they would take the fruit from the Tree of Life and live forever if they had already sinned and therefore were to die anyway? What do you make of that also?

Eden

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

OK, good points all. Let's see if I can address them quickly.

If the Garden of Eden myth is related to nation building, then there must be a key, something that helps us to unlock the fact that it is simply a myth with a baseline application. That key is found in the expression of Cain...yes, Cain, when he is confronted with the discipline of the Almighty. He states, "I will be a restless wanderer on the earth and whoever finds me will kill me." If, as the myth implies, Adam and Eve and their immediate offspring are the ONLY ones on earth, then why would Cain worry about being killed? Surely, everyone on earth, if confined to just Adam and Eve and their family knew what Cain had done. Their offspring would know what Cain had done. Why then would God put a mark on him so that "no one who found him would kill him?" The answer is simple, they were NOT the only people living on the earth. Proof of that is the expression that Cain went out "to the LAND of Nod, to the east of Eden." That expression is noteworthy, as the expression implies habitaction, geographic boundaries.

So...that is the key, the rest is relatively easy.

Tree of Knowledge, reason why nation NOT in blessed condition and have to put up with all the gentiles.

Tree of Life, the objective, the blessing that if they conform to God's commands, i.e the laws of the nation, then they will again be in a blessed state.

Garden of Eden, the objective, the reward for conformance to the nation

Sin because of Eve, the manner in which the patriarchal, male dominated society founded itself.

It is all pretty easily understood from that point on......

Just some thoughts,

SOP

• Legacy
    Legacy

Hi,

Why did Eve sin.....because she could...I don't know if I commented on this before...but...here's my take...how did she know what bad was, had she ever seen or heard bad ? Adam & Eve were sheltered....God gave them everything...all good...just a warning of don't eat from the tree because you would die or something like that, about to go home & just wanted to post...anyway...what did they know about bad....how many witnesses don't know nothing about wordly stuff & they live right here on earth...now we have Adam & Eve who only saw good, only heard good...they had nothing to compare it with...Did they see animals killed, did they ever get sick...all food was good to eat...most likely the weather was always...GOOD..there goes that word again...

I once read either on this site or another...God made a rule, so with every rule comes a law which protects the rule. There was bad before Eve...Satan was tossed out of heaven why because he was BAD...so Bad didn't start with Eve..it started in Heaven....so I think God knew about free will, if his own angel Satan choose bad....why was the snake the most cautious of all the animals...why did Satan take on the identity of a snake, Why ask Why...

So all this to say, she had no knowledge of what bad was...no comparison....Poor Eve....I could go deeper but what's the sense. I think we all wonder what it would have been like if she didn't take of the fruit....boggles the mind, doesn't it.

Legacy

• adamah
    adamah

This one was answered in cartoon form-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY6Dn0_hBOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MsZxZPtpjE

In other words, the story of Adam and Eve is a post-hoc rationalization created by the authors of Genesis to provide explanatory value for how the Universe and the Earth came to be, why humans and animals exist and die, and more importantly, why it's very important to pay close attention to seemingly minor details in the Deuteronomic (civil) and Levitical (Priestly, or holy) codes found in the later books of the Torah. A plot-line like A&E not sinning wouldn't work, as the story wouldn't explain anything!

Obviously we know much more about many of ancient World myths, and obviously know more from science and study of history to be able to recognize the Torah for what it is: a later version of cuneiform laws which were common thoughout the Ancient Near East in other cultures which included a pseudo-historical narrative in order to justify why obedience to their laws was necessary. Sadly, many people are simply unable to recognize the characteristics of fictional ancient writings when they see it, and hence we have all of the believers running around to this day.

Adam

• jgnat
    jgnat

The Jewish interpretation of Genesis has been allegorical from the Middle Ages. It seems they saw science coming. I have to say, a much more sensible approach.

http://www.myjewishlearning.com/beliefs/Issues/Science/Creationism_and_Evolution/Bible_as_Allegory.shtml

Solomon ibn Gabirol.

Quite apart stands Solomon ibn Gabirol, who in his philosophy gave no consideration to Judaism, but in his exegesis frequently made use of Allegorical Interpretation. His method is quite Philonic, without being influenced, however, either directly or indirectly by Philo. Here is an example of Gabirol's Allegorical Interpretation as quoted by Ibn Ezra (compare Bacher, "Die Bibelexegese der Jüdischen Religionsphilosophen," p. 46; Kaufmann, "Studien über Solomon b. Gabirol") in his commentary upon Genesis. Paradise is the world supernal; the garden, the visible world of the pious. The river going forth out of Eden is universal matter. Its four separating streams are the four elements. Adam, Eve, and the serpent represent the three souls; Adam, who bestows names, representing the rational soul, Eve the animal soul (the living ), and the serpent the vegetative. Thus, when it is said that the serpent shall eat dust, it indicates that the vegetative soul cleaves to the dust of materialism. The coats of skins typify the body; the tree of life is the perception of the upper intelligible world, just as the cherubim, the angels, are the intelligible beings of the upper world. In addition to this allegory of Gabirol's, Ibn Ezra quotes another interpretation of Jacob's dream; but while it is possible that he may have applied this method to visions or similar passages of the Bible, it is altogether unlikely that he presumed to apply it either to the Law or to the historical events chronicled in Scripture.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/1256-allegorical-interpretation

• adamah
    adamah

Jgnat said-

The Jewish interpretation of Genesis has been allegorical from the Middle Ages. It seems they saw science coming. I have to say, a much more sensible approach.

That's a familar approach we've seen before, where what was once considered as literal eventually gives way to allegorical interpretations, but only AFTER science makes it increasingly difficult to accept it in any other light.

So what's left of the Bible after a few thousand years of such down-grading, BUT simply a collection of allegories (akin to accepted allegories, eg Aesop's Fables)?

Adam

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jgnat - "The Jewish interpretation of Genesis has been allegorical from the Middle Ages."

They weren't the only ones.

Hardcore Genesis literalism is - historically - a pretty recent thing, actually; some think it may even be an unexpected byproduct/backlash response to the Enlightenment.

'Course, you probably already know that.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Adamah - "So what's left of the Bible after a few thousand years of such down-grading...?"

Paper.

BTW, why do you sign as "Adam", when your handle is "Adamah"? (just curious)

• jgnat
    jgnat

Adam was taken?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit