Why Eve sinned (WT 8/2013)

by EdenOne 154 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

LOL, Jgnat! Gawd, you're terrible

• cofty
    cofty

EdenOne - So what was the point of Adam and Eve then? Just a failed experiment?

Why do you want to hang on to the Adam and Eve myth anyway?

If you are going to take Genesis literally you have another problem.

It describes the animals being created at around the same time as Adam and Eve. We know this is nonsense don't we?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

It describes the animals being created at around the same time as Adam and Eve.

Actually it describes the animal world coming to existence before Adam and Eve. That's not so nonsensical. And if the Homo Sapiens living on earth were just sophisticated animals, then they also can be included amongst the animals that existed on earth before Adam and Eve. What makes this particular couple of Homo Sapiens so special is that God decided to make a man "in his image", that is, with a spiritual quality that would enable them to step into the spiritual world at a later stage.

Eden

• adamah
    adamah

EDEN SAID-

Except, their death wasn't a punishment. It was simply the natural consequence of their severing the spiritual bond with their creator, which would have resulted in them having the possibility to live forever in the spiritual realm once their natural life on earth was completed. God didn't say:" In the day you eat from the fruit I shall kill you". No, he said "you shall die". This doesn't mean God killed them as punishment, does it?

Sigh, the tiresome 'God didn't kill them, it was a natural consequence' defense. Although the Bible clearly says in Genesis, "don't eat or you will die", and God took active steps to prevent them from eating of the Tree of Life by posting a flaming sword? The Bible elsewhere clearly says though the sin of one man (Adam), death entered the World, etc. And it's not like God has a track record of shying away from violence in the Bible.

Eden, you've arguing against what the Bible actually says, and you're arguing against the entire BASIS of the miracles of Jesus: forgiving the sins that supposedly caused death and disease in humans, as demonstrated with the resurrection of Lazarus....

Your piece-meal speculative approach to theology by going beyond what the Bible actually SAYS is fun and all, but it grows tiresome since it's detached from any evidence (without even relying on scripture, LOL!).

Adam

• cofty
    cofty

Actually it describes the animal world coming to existence before Adam and Eve

Hundreds of millions of years before?

How are you interpreting the days?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

So what was the point of Adam and Eve then? Just a failed experiment?

It was an experiment, for sure. God wanted to give human beings the possibility to rise to the spiritual world and become "like Gods" - but in his terms and in his time. Satan was successful in subverting that purpose. But God didn't give up his idea, and with Christ he actually extended that offer to every human being, based on faith, and not on genetics.

Eden

• cofty
    cofty

What a shambles.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Hundreds of millions of years before? How are you interpreting the days?

I don't know, whatever number rocks your boat. To me, the days are representative of different phases, from the point of view of the writer of Genesis. Of course those aren't literal days of 24 hours, not symbolic periods of 1000 years each, nor 7.000 years each, nor do they have similar lenghts between them.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Adamah: Your piece-meal speculative approach to theology by going beyond what the Bible actually SAYS is fun and all, but it grows tiresome since it's detached from any evidence (without even relying on scripture, LOL!).

Fair warning was given beforehand that this was a speculative exercise. So I don't really care if people think this is a serious exercise or not.

Sigh, the tiresome 'God didn't kill them, it was a natural consequence' defense.

Ok, so please give me one Bible reference that proves that God caused their death.

Eden, you've arguing against what the Bible actually says

No, I'm arguing within the limits (admmittedly on the edge) of what the Bible says, but up until now, I don't see any evidence of whatever I said was antibiblical.

Eden

• adamah
    adamah

Eden said-

It was an experiment, for sure. God wanted to give human beings the possibility to rise to the spiritual world and become "like Gods" - but in his terms and in his time. Satan was successful in subverting that purpose. But God didn't give up his idea, and with Christ he actually extended that offer to every human being, based on faith, and not on genetics.

So, you're willing to act like God isn't prescient? How do you explain away eg the gift of prophecy?

An omniscient being has no need for "experiments", wouldn't be unable to foresee the threat of "Satan subverting that purpose", etc, and has no need for fall-back plans, making it up as He goes, playing it by ear, etc, or any of the other concepts that apply to non-omniscient beings, since God would already KNOW what was going to happen.

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit