Time to take my mask off.

by braincleaned 73 Replies latest jw experiences

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Okay. After more than two years here on JWN, I will unmask myself and finally close the closet door behind me, fully coming out.

Let me be pithy.

My name is Vincent Deporter. I'm a writer/artist published a little all over the place. I started my career in France, about 35 years ago. I had my own comic book series there, and since 1996, I have been working on licenses for DC Comics, Nickelodeon and more. Photography is a passion also. If you are curious, Google me to see what I've been up to.

I was brought up a JW since the age of six. I had doubts at age 12, but my elder father had a temper, and I got baptized at 13. David Splane was our CO at the time (Canada — he STILL pushes kids baptism). It took me 45 years to face my cognitive dissonance and fight my bias.

The short story is that my love for my personal study turned my love for Jehovah into burning anger and hateful disgust for him. That hate calmed down when I realized this was a character invented by men and now part of our folklore. I became an atheist before reading any apostate info, or scientific books that didn't agree with WT doctrine.

Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion" was a key moment. I started coming out after reading his fantastic and logical work. I finally understood what evolution was and how natural selection worked. I was like touched by the grace of reason. I realized the version of evolution the WTS taught us naive sheep was a lie, riddled with quote-mining and strawmen fallacies.

I lost family and friends on this cult. My kids are EVERYTHING to me. I lost a lifetime of investment in "the truth", pioneering, giving talks. I barely survived suicide in extremis. Saved against my will — but so happy I am alive today. I told some of my story here:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/experiences/236583/1/Divorced-Atheist-ex-JW-Dad#.UmNVh5TF0i9

Today, I offer my time and energy to sites like this, my latest contribution being to Cedar's latest article:
    http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-1914-obsession-watchtower-clings-to-flawed-teaching-in-first-magazine-of-2014

I thank JWN for helping me and others to come out and speak up.

May reason bless us all.

And thank you for reading.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Another cartoon going around:

THE GREAT BORG.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Vince, I have told you that you are one of my favorite fb friends. I didn't know until a few weeks ago that you were braincleaned!

Actually, I didn't know that you were even an exJW until a few weeks ago!!

So glad that you were unsuccessful at suicide. Happy that you are HERE, alive and HERE!!

And, I am sorry for the pain you have experienced in losing your family due to a cult.

I can only imagine it must feel very good to pull off the mask and be done with it once and for all.

Congratulations!!

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Wow Rip! How sweet to see you here! Thank you for the kind words...
    (sorry for my break on FB... needed it. Next week I'll reopen)

It does feel amazingly good to come out in the open.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I realize that my successful fade may still end up with a disfellowshiping. But now, it doesn't matter; except for my mom and sister — although they will still be like before with me.
    Knowing I was an apostate didn't change the love — thank goodness.
    We'll see. I don't claim to be a JW anymore, so maybe it will fly. In any case, I'm here.

• clarity
    clarity

OMG .....I am so glad you are here ............ still.

>

Stay with us Vincent... we need you.

>

Are you in Canada ....... me...West Coast!

>

I like Dawkins, but Christopher Hitchens really did it for me!

>

Congratulations for the marvelous reveal .... it will be awhile for me!

>

Oh btw ...we just met on the Newbie List!

clarity

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Vincent I applaude and admire your decision to "take the mask off".

I can only imagine how liberating and exhilarating that must feel.

I checked out your bibiography on wikipedia and thats quite a list of work and accomplishments.

My nephews and nieces would relate mostly to your work on SpongeBob Squarepants where as my son and I are impressed with the DC comics and Scooby Doo aspects.

Keep up the great art work,animations and comics and so glad to see that you are using your talents in helping others to see the WT for what it is.

With much respect,

StoneWall

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

BrainCleaned , It is very nice to meet you. I read Wikipedia too. Very impressive. So glad to hear that in your darkest hour,

you survived to live a long, happy and successful life and have a great career to boot.

LoisLane

Clarity, Google "Vincent Deporter". He was born in Belgium, and spent his childhood in Toronto.

• smiddy
    smiddy

It takes guts and courage to come out Vincent , I hope everything works out for you. I certainly will google you and wish you all the best.

smiddy

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

hi vincent. thanks for taking off your mask - it's lovely to meet the real you - can't wait to google you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit