Time to take my mask off.

by braincleaned 73 Replies latest jw experiences

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Vincent!

There are two Ex-JW meetups in the Phoenix area.

West Phoenix Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses - http://www.meetup.com/exjw-431/

Chandler Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses - http://groupspaces.com/ChandlerEx-JehovahsWitnesses/

Both groups meet once per month and a few times on other occassions like our annual "Shun Run". The West group usually has 5 to 8 come out. The Chandler group is a bit smaller, but usually 3 of us come out, sometimes joined by one or more others.

My story is very similar to yours. Grew up in Canada (BC) with a connection to the faith since childhood, got baptized at 16, married at 20 (to my wonderful wife Wendy!), appointed a MS, (moved to Phoenix, AZ in 1998) then later an elder. Resigned as an elder in 2005 over my growing belief in the theory of evolution and growing doubts about the existence of God. Ran into a catalyst moment involving my oldest daughter in Oct 2007 that would see me out in service in the morning, followed by leaving the faith in the afternoon.

Cheers,

-Randy

ps. I Google'd some of your art! Love it! My second daughter is taking art in college. One of the individuals I met at the West meetup worked in the art department at Bethel. He often blogs about superheros and Comicon. My wife helped him make his "Plastic Man" costume for Comicon.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Thanks Randy!

Another site on Facebook under "Ex-Jehovah's Witnesses in Arizona." That site not very active recently.

Here in Phoenix there was a gathering (last month) a central AMC showing of "The Truth Be Told" documentary. I think 60 tickets were sold.

There are very many ex-JWs in the valley. Most don't attend the meetups, or just occasionally, but they go on with their lives, busy catching up with life, and enjoying life very much more than ever.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

This is all cool info! Thank you!!!

• Emery
    Emery

Absolutely amazing work, can't wait to see more!

• KiddingMe
    KiddingMe

Thanks for sharing Vince! I'm so glad for you. Being able to finally take off the mask must be really exhilarating for you at this point in your life. Your story is inspiring and motivating.

I can identify with your experience coming to JWN. It has been a lifesaver. The people here are nothing like I expected from an "apostate site." Just normal people, no hidden agendas.

Googled some of your work...EXCELLENT! So glad to hear/see your success!

• mindnumbed
    mindnumbed

Nice to meet you Vince.

I was on jwsurvey.org earlier this morning and saw the artwork in the article, I thought it was fantastic and wondered where in the world Cedars got that cartoon ... now I know.

Thanks for supporting this crazy community.

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I'm crazy myself... LOL!

Really, it's a pleasure to work together for a common goal.

• sylvlef
    sylvlef

Hey...in my message on your other post forgot to congratulate you for the art on jwsurvey!

Also read on wikipedia that you inked many of the batman and superman style-guides....wow man i'm a huge fan of Batman !!

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Thank you! :)

• flipper
    flipper

BRAINCLEANED- Nice to have you here. I'm sorry this JW cult put you through the ringer in getting out. I was in 44 years from birth until finally exiting 10 years ago at age 44. Freedom of mind is sweet - so enjoy it. We are here for you. Take care of yourself, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit