ELDERS STEPPING DOWN

by ADJUSTMENTS 71 Replies latest jw experiences

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

marked

• blondie
    blondie

Removed usually means disciplinary--followed by announcement either no longer one of jws or publicly reproved (announcement what type)

Stepped down--announcement?--usually due to a non-df/da offense; elder cannot just step down if he no longer wants to serve, must be approved by elder body (CO?); can still be used to read, pray, etc.

If no explanation of any kind, it becomes a guessing game as to their status for the rank and file.

I believe this can be happening but not necessarily in every congregation. The congregations near us have had 10 "step down" over the last 10 years; the last KH we attended had 8 ex-elders but only 5 elders, only 2 MS. They appointed a wife abuser and an active alcoholic. Desperate?

• mythreesons
    mythreesons

Blondie - I was an elder. I stepped down and wrote a letter stating that I longer wished to serve. I cited my young family and that I could not in good conscience do both. The elders met with me 3 times. They didn't want to let me. I told them that if they didn't allow me to step aside and focus on my family that they would end up removing me because I would not be doing the job they wanted me to do. I said that maybe one day when my family was grown, that I would be able to do it again. Finally, they agreed and let me step aside. 4 months later I learned TTATT and then left 2 months after that.

That was 5 years ago...so maybe it has changed

• 70wksfyrs
    70wksfyrs

blondie- hahaha! not desperate at all, following the WBTS rules, one was probably a paedophlie too

• 70wksfyrs
    70wksfyrs

way to go mythreesons! good for you!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I was an elder. I stepped down and wrote a letter stating that I longer wished to serve. I cited my young family and that I could not in good conscience do both.

The elders met with me 3 times. They didn't want to let me.

You need Permission to Quit the WBT$..

.................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

Blondie the announcement was just so-and-so is no longerserving as an elder... Youvan step down if you want to the other elder will of course give you a hard time and try to lighten the load but they can't hold you hostage. LOL at OUTLAW!

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

I stepped down/off/across a good few years ago, just wrote a letter saying I didn't qualify , not really bible reading , heart not in it etc. . They met with me a couple times to try talk me out of it but I stuck to my guns . . Best . Decision . EVER !

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

The long-serving CoBE of my aunt's hall very recently stepped down of his own free will. Without going into details, he's not the only appointed brother in the hall who will likely be on this forum at some point-- if he isn't already.

• itscrap&theyknowit!
    itscrap&theyknowit!

I would like to say CONGRATS to whomever this brother is that youtubed this!!! VERY HEARTFELT and TRUE!!! If any of you have read my posts in the past, you will find the connection that I have with this blog. The problem with MY husband is, HE COULD NEVER STAND UP FOR ME OUR FOR OUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY. We started having medical issues with our son after he was born and he let the different elders just 'steamroll' me. I was told, "I wasn't relying on Jehovah enough because I could no longer spend the hours in FS, be a true elder's wife and support congregation activities." I would come to the hall tattered, ragged, unshowered at time, shoes not matching, etc, etc. I suffered. Brothers who weren't my husband had to stand up for me.

I will ALWAYS & FERVENTLY believe that this religion and it's politics have been to the ruination of my marriage, my family and many others I know of. Believe in Jehovah, but, one would have to have his/her own common-sense when it comes to the rule/regulations of this religion. I have come to have great disrespect and no faith, no love in my husband. Due to his youth when being appointed as elder had caused him to become arrogant and pompous. He treated the kids and I like scum, yes, in the name of this religion.

I wished that this video was available to us 20 years ago. To help him see there would not have been a thing wrong instanding up for yourself or your family. To put aside something that, at the time is not so important, that you can come back to it later and that JEHOVAH would understand. Forget HUMANS!!! But, now, he is no longer an elder, I and the kids have moved on and are doing great w/out him in our lives.

KUDOS to the good brothers who have STEPPED-UP to be a beacon of light and source of refreshment for your families and for ones in the congregations who have no one else to lean on!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit