HELP. ELDERS COMING TO TALK WITH THE FAMILY

by Thoughtless 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Splash
    Splash

Ask up front what the purpose of the visit is, and learn to read between the lines of what they are saying.

Splash

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

Don't worry. Just relax. Be kind to them. Don't talk to much. Or ask a kind and simple question.

It's probably the C.O. who told them that they have to visit some in their groups and do some shepherding calls

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There are really only three realistic things you can do.

1. Smile and nod.

2. Don't be there. Either say NO or just don't show up.

3. Disagree with things said to some degree between a friendly exchange to "Up yours."

Living at home, it really needs to be one of the first two unless you are ready for the big changes.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

I was over 18 when the elders called a family meeting to ask if I still wanted to be a witness. I don't think they cared that I was an adult, my parents were still asked to be present. Remember they only have power that YOU give them. I wish you the best.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Obviously you are not worried if it's just a normal shepherding call - just if they are after you personally.

So prepare your mind just to be ready: if they are out to interrogate you, and ask you what you believe, and if you believe certain things, DO NOT ANSWER! Turn the tables, and put them under a helluva lot more pressure in front of your family by replying with a question - "Do both of you brothers believe everything the "Faithful Slave" teaches is the truth?".

Don't let them off the hook - keep pushing them until they give you an answer. (probably a resounding 'Yes') Then give your answer - from the Bible!! Request them to open their Bibles and read Deuteronomy 29:10-15. Now ask them why the FDS says the opposite to what God Almighty says there! (Alien residents WERE included in the Covenant!) Having dealt with that 'problem which you have', ask them to briefly explain the teaching of the "New Scrolls". Get them to open up their Bibles to Revelation 20:12, and ask them where it says "new". Then ask them how Revelation describes what's in these 'scrolls'. To bury their false belief, ask them to read verses 1-7, to ascertain when these scrolls are opened!! (not during the 1000 years - but after Satan is destroyed)

Then tell them that you have a strong belief in God's Word, and you don't like hearing things which contradict it!

All the best - hope it turns out to be nothing more than a family pep-talk!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Thoughtless:

As others have said, there seem to be details missing.

I were you, I would blow it off and be elsewhere and couldn't care less if my family were angry. After all, you say you are over 18. Why should you allow yourself to be cornered and made to feel uncomfortable?

However, not having been raised a Witness (thankfully), I cannot imagine the stress of having a family who would allow their home to be invaded and have their privacy intruded upon!!

This is overstepping of boundaries to the nth degree, only it is being done with your family's permission, sad to say.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

It's just a shep call buddy, don't sweat. Just smile and nod, smile and nod. Don't act like there's a problem in the world, don't argue, don't disagree about anything. It will all be over in less than an hour. Afterwards the elders will leave you alone for a while, they can say they've made an effort with you and move on.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Under 18. They steal your childhood

Over 18. They take your balls so you'll always have the voice of a child, which is usually silenced

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

Hi Thoughtless, Sir82 is right. If you want to stay a 'happy' good little JW then don't make any waves, don't say anything controversial, don't be defensive about anything.

If not and you don't care, then disappear and save yourself the ambush and bullying you will get.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

If it YOU they are after, they will pull you aside ALONE. Unless your family is accusing you?

LostGeneration had the same thought as I did when I first read this.

If you are an adult, even living at home, I can't believe that if it was something "bad" that they would not have pulled you off to the side and already begun asking you questions directly.

You mention your "mothers home." Unless I missed something, if you are actually living in your mothers house, then I can't believe that they would bring something up to a woman when there is a brother (you) that they could talk to directly. Of course if they felt you were not dancing to their tune, then they would speak to your mother.

Remember, in the borg, women rank near the bottom of the food chain .... above chimpanzees but below little boys with inverted testicles.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit