HELP. ELDERS COMING TO TALK WITH THE FAMILY

by Thoughtless 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Whole family is a shepherding call guilt trip. The usual why aren't you out in service more? Why do you slackers not make every meeting? How come nobody in your home is a pioneer? Why isn't daddy reaching out for more unpaid work privileges?

As long as you keep your mouth shut, you will be ok. Have your excuses preplanned if you think they are going to ask you direct questions - reasons your aren't pioneering, reaching out, blah blah blah. If you want to amuse yourself pretend you are burning a hole in their foreheads with laser beams from your eyes!

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

You are a legal adult. Just don't show up.

Or... watch Ferris Bueller's day off, start developing an intestinal illness NOW. Make sure your parents know how terrible you are feeling. Make many "trips" to the bathroom, and make sure your parents know about it. Then not only will you be a hero for somehow making it to the AGM, your parents can say that you may have an intestinal bug that may or may not be contagious. This will get you and perhaps your entire family off the hook. The Elders will just say, " Tell Thoughtless that we thought of him/her." Meanwhile you are in your room playing video games.

Trust me, I am the master....

DD

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free

Stay calm . Watch what you say

• Splash
    Splash

Could be 'shepherding' or it could be an investigation.

Depends on what has been happening recently.

• hoser
    hoser

give short yes or no answers and don't elaborate. they are trained interrogators. if they spot a crack in your defenses they will try their best to open it up.

and watch where you sit. sit in a place where you will be slightly higher than them. this will place you in a dominate position and make them feel uncomfortable

http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/dominant_body.htm

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan
    the elders want to talk with my family. I do not like this one bit. Perhaps I am being exposed. I am over 18 so if I think it is apostasy, they would talk to me privately, despite me being in my mother's home. I am really freaking nervous and I do not know what to think. WHY WOULD THEY WANT TO TALK TO MY WHOLE FAMILY?

Only a cult could make people nervous about the leaders coming into your own house for a "visit". Normally, I would recommend blowing off meeting with them off. However, there is more strength with the family together. Talk with your family and see what they think about this visit. Them not wanting to talk to you alone is a good sign. If the family is okay with the visit, just make many trips to the bathroom and it won't seem as long. You could also be "cooking" something, and have to go to the kitchen to waste time. LOL

• clarity
    clarity

Omg .......you guys are so darn funny ......laughing myself silly!.

Can't believe I took this all so seriously for years!

They have no power...... only if you consent to give it to them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE

Have a look!

clarity

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Alot of good advise. I would say you are probably panicking a little and there is no reason. Just sit there. Elders love to talk. You can always deflect by asking more and more about the annual meeting or the details in the new WT studies if you just want to see them trip on themselves. But the best thing to do is probably to just not be there, or if you are there just relax and pretend to listen.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Like Vampires, they are powerless unless you invite them in to your home.

If they do come over and they think you are ill, make a nice gesture. Tell your parent that you felt bad for not being able to attend, and that you made a nice pot of expensive coffee for the hard working "Dukes" and "Stars" of revelation. Add some nice pastries to the mix, make it like treat night at bookstudy, remember those? Then add laxatives to the coffee. Your illness will be all the more believable.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Depending on the annual meeting, I may have to make my decision. Damn it.

Are you not telling us something? If it YOU they are after, they will pull you aside ALONE. Unless your family is accusing you?

Need some details.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit