Jehovah's Witness boy fights court for right to die

by jwfacts 87 Replies latest watchtower medical

• adamah
    adamah

Label Licker said-

Back in 1972 my brother had died at the tender age of eleven needing a blood transfusion but wasn't allowed. I was ten. Never forgot the day he died my dad looked at my mother and blamed her for his death calling her a murderer and yet he was the jw that made her a jw. They never blame the society for all these deaths but will point the finger at anyone but the watchtower. That's how wicked this cult is. They really believe they are god when they go against saving lives.

That's so tragic, label licker, and soooo soooo unnecessary, such a WASTE of the life of your brother just snuffed out. It's truly heart-breaking.

And over WHAT?

Due to a flawed policy, which stems from (or is justified by, if intentional) a flawed interpretation of Genesis 9:5-6 which ONLY appears in the NWT (and NONE of the other Bible translations) where the WT converts God's BLESSING for mankind into an OBLIGATION:

I wrote an article on it on my blog, which might be good to review if you haven't read about how a sloppy translation blunder results in a flawed blood doctrine:

http://awgue.weebly.com/does-jehovahs-witnesses-blood-policy-reflect-they-understand-noahs-flood.html

Adam

• DNCall
    DNCall

I would be dead today if my wallet wasn't knocked far from my body when I was hit by a car. My blood card was the first thing you would see when you opened my wallet. Because had no ID on my person, I was admitted to the Emergency Room and later, surgery, as a John Doe. By the time my wife, who had the advance medical directive from me to refuse blood, found me, blood had already been transfused due to huge blood loss. This was all 4 years before we left the religion. This was one of a few life experiences that contributed to our seeing the light.

I hope this young man has a favorable outcome and, as I did, learn something from the experience. If such is the case, then likely, his parents will be in a better position to clearly reflect on the position they took. If it goes the other way, the misdirected support they get from the congregation will only reinforce the error of their actions.

• cofty
    cofty

No JW makes an informed decision to refuse blood since they are denied access to opposing information.

I would have done the same thing as a 17 year old. The courts can't stop adults being stupid but they should push the law to the limit to protect minors.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It seems (to my limited legal knowledge) like there's no counter-advocate provided by the court in cases like this. Correct me if I'm wrong. Rather than just asking the teen to prove his beliefs (which he will do by parroting the literature of an organization he was raised in), there should be a court-appointed person who challenges his beliefs. I would have given my life at 17 over this issue too, but if I knew then what I know now, at least I would have had a chance to make a better decision.

Someone with knowledge of JW beliefs and counter-arguments should be assigned to speak privately with the boy over the course of a few sessions (allowing him time to process what he is learning and to rebut), and maybe there should be a psychotherapist involved somehow. They should then (again, as part of the legal system) privately offer him an "escape plan", since if he accepts blood, he will be ostracized by his community. Band on the Run mentioned seeking a foster home so she could continue her schooling; why not offer something like that to the boy in this case if he needs a way out?

• Bella15
    Bella15

So sad ... If he only knew the history like you say ...

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

Using the rape analogy is straight from Watchtower dictates. He is not speaking from his own mind. He does not know how to use his mind. Tragic.

Maybe someone could send the newspaper a quote from the Kingdom Ministry where it teaches the rank and file how to respond.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have the details of the lawyer, and plan to email him. crmsicl - good point about his rape comment. I will make note of that in my email.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

This is yet another sad story of a youth thinking he is thinking. (for himself) Count me in among those who would have died at 17. Also count me among those whose parents would have kicked me out of the house and shunned me if I had accepted this lifesaving treatment! No pressure there LOL Sadly, I knew a beautiful, caring, downright awesome 17 yr old girl who had the same disease who made the same decision as this boy. She died about 20 yrs ago. Her parents took comfort that their only child died "faithful", that catchall word that means faithful to the WTBT$. I haven't seen or spoken to those parents since. Wonder if they still feel proud or are now sorry for sacrificing her to "Molech".??

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't know the details of the case. Also, family law is not an area of concentration for me. When issues with minors arise, judges use special discretion. It has been a long time since law school. If I recall correctly, family court judges have broad powers. They use their educated hunches more. For example, they interview children. My state allows special training for the judges so they can be more effective.

The judge is likely to hear similar cases on a routine basis. Since these matters happen regularly, the judge will have more expertise in such areas as when a child develops a separate moral conscience. They are trained in psychiatry. The judges make legal judgments. Law is the basis, not social science. They develop rapport with young children and teenagers.

I suspect the judge may appoint some lawyer to represent the minor. It will vary from state to state. I feel a lot will depend on the judge's personal balance of First Amendment right to freedom of religion vs. the immaturity of teenagers. The details matter a lot.

As I wrote earlier, the decision allowing a fourteeen year to decide for death upset me deeply. All I had to do was to remember how I was at fourteen. My world centered on the fashion mores of my KH, school, and the Beatles, esp. Paul. All the girls in my group used to attend Beatles films and screech our heads off. We wrote down their names thousands of times. One girl was famous for sending her many thousands of George Harrison]s name to George's mom. His mom wrote her a nice, short reply. Yes, I was mature.

I was better at seventeen. Let me see. I had a part-time job with all the proceeds going to makeup, fashion, and rock concerts. My life was spent in Greenwich Village and the portion of Central Park where hippies hung out. The war in Viet Nam was opposed. Demos were an opportunity to politely meet with elected officials. They were also rock group happenings and dating scenes. I had yet to attend a single college course. In fact, most of what made me be me today had not yet happened. My college and law school years completed the basic me.

Perhaps the judge will somehow realize that the boy's action is extreme. Religion can be respected without full implementation. Once the boy has achieved maturity in legal terms, he can decide to die for a religous doctrine. It strikes me that we should have a societal policy rather than a more casual judge decision. If the judge is elected, the judge might be afraid of the backlash from powerful religious people who vote.

I vividly recall a family court judge speaking to a gathering during law school. She had real power but it brought so many headaches. I decided civil rights was the way to go. Corporate antitrust never upset me. Children bother me. She warned the women present against a career in family law. It was a very small and intimate gathering.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

The children's hospital said he had a "cocooned upbringing" how true. At 17, despite my behaviour I probably would have refused blood too. And while it would have been a conscious choice by a competent person, it wouldn't have been a well-informed one. A JW upbringing by definition shields one from objectively considering one's beliefs.

Is there anything we can do to help? Who can I email?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit