Jehovah's Witness boy fights court for right to die

by jwfacts 87 Replies latest watchtower medical

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/religious-boy-fights-court-for-right-to-die-20130917-2tx5u.html

This is tragic. The boy is 17, and earlier this year the courts ruled that he was to be forced a transfusion. He is back in court trying to prove he is old enough to make his own decision.

There are two points that I think should be made very strongly when commenting on the internet about this situation.

1 - A Jehovah's Witness child is not making their own decision due to a life of one sided indoctrination. To prove if the boy is making an informed decision, he should be questioned on whether he knows the history of blood doctrine within his own religion, and whether he knows the theological reasons that other Christian religions accept blood.

2 - A Jehovah's Witness child has a 2 in 3 chance of leaving the religion at some point in their life. It is not fair that this child may never get the opportunity to re-evaluate his belief system, due to dying under his parents misguided care.

• designs
    designs

jwfacts- Thanks for bringing this case to everyone's attention.

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Tragic forsure. I hope that cult doesn't get another blood sacrifice.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

The Children's Hospital made great comments! Hope some JW's read it and think.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

WOW!!! IT ANGERS ME SO MUCH!!! I really hope he does not die. I found it really sad to know that he has an 80 percent chance of dying from anemia, while the combined risks of a blood transfusion going wrong is very low... In a risk-benefits scenario, the blood transfusion would clearly win.

Truly !

• Bells
    Bells

This sort of thing makes me so sad :(

How many people here on this board were still 'in' at 18 - however were lucky enough not to have to face this life or death decision before you got olser and woke up. At least you got the choice and therefore got to live at some point :(

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

This makes me so f*&$ng angry!!!!

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi jwfacts, Thank you for sharing and thank you for writing balanced articles on www.jwfacts.com.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Bells - How many people here on this board were still 'in' at 18 - however were lucky enough not to have to face this life or death decision before you got older and woke up?

Excellent question. I was a true believer at 18, and my father was on the Hospital Liaison Committee, telling me all the biased information that he was receiving from the Watchtower about how blood causes people to die, and blood has not been proven to have saved a single life. If an emergency had arisen, I would have been just as this poor boy.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

And how many others are there who were like you who aren't around now to learn the the other side of the argument...and if the boy does survive, he'll put it down to a miracle from Jehovah. It's lose lose for him at the moment unless he wakes up really quickly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit