Jehovah's Witness boy fights court for right to die

by jwfacts 87 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Bells
    Bells

Blood saved my life. Had my parents been Witnesses, I would have died without a doubt when I suffered 3rd degree burns at age 2.

I am so thankful that

a) My parents are not / were not ever Witnesses

b) That my husband was not in my situation at 2 - but with his parents being Witnesses. Either scenario above would have resulted in us not being together now - although neither one of us holds the WT belief ourselves...

• label licker
    label licker

Back in 1972 my brother had died at the tender age of eleven needing a blood transfusion but wasn't allowed. I was ten. Never forgot the day he died my dad looked at my mother and blamed her for his death calling her a murderer and yet he was the jw that made her a jw. They never blame the society for all these deaths but will point the finger at anyone but the watchtower. That's how wicked this cult is. They really believe they are god when they go against saving lives.

• Gypsy Sam
    Gypsy Sam

JWFACTS, is your dad still in and on the HLC? Sorry if off topic, but I am curious. I've been trying to find info on the group of JW's that was for blood reform. Their site seems to be MIA.

• smiddy
    smiddy

The sad fact of life is he may die due to following his beleifs and that of his parents.

Then , a few years on , one, if not both his parents could discover the truth about the truth and leave the religion themselves.

smiddy

• Bells
    Bells

Or - a few years on, they receive 'new light' that says that taking blood for medical treatment is ok and the bible passage is only referring to drinking from animals killed in sacrifice. Nothing would suprise me with this cult.

• zeb
    zeb

Can we ask.. what was wrong with the young man?

• designs
    designs

ll- That is sad about your brother, I lost a family member because of the same crazy belief. We forget to how hard this is on the medical staff to see someone die who they know they could have saved.

We just have to keep on making this public and shamming the Wt. and JWs. The parents of that 17 year old should face charges.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

GypsySam - JWFACTS, is your dad still in and on the HLC? Sorry if off topic, but I am curious. I've been trying to find info on the group of JW's that was for blood reform. Their site seems to be MIA.

My father died 2 years ago. He was only 64.

http://www.ajwrb.org/ is down at the moment. I'm not sure when it will be back up, but soon I hope, as it was filled with great information.

• jgnat
    jgnat

The young man has Hodgkin's Lymphoma, cancer of the lymphatic system. Treatment includes chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and stem cell transplantation. I imagine the blood transfusions are to counteract the anemia from chemotherapy.

Do Witnesses approve of stem cell transplants?

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

These cases tear me apart. This boy is 17. Someone once posted a link to a court case where a local judge allowed a fourteen year old boy to die. Every year when you are young makes a huge difference. This may not go well. Emancipated minors are allowed to make decisions. He might convince a judge, including myself if I were one, that he is so close to adulthood that his wishes should be honored. I hope he is a young 17 with a long history of goofy life decisions. This is one of the problems with the Witnesses. We tend to be too obedient compared to other people our age. A lot may depend upon the personal interactions with the judge. I would not want to be a family court judge.

Does anyone here any insight on what age to draw the line? Government cannot make value judgments for people. If this boy is a typical born-in, he has never experience life at all. He should be forced to have a broader background before throwing away his life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit