Young man walks out of Glasgow convention and commits suicide

by jambon1 92 Replies latest jw friends

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

If this is the case, should the info be passed on to the local media that tells of the talk that had just finished being given?

Also sharing the higher than average suicide rate of Jws.

NJY

• LoisLane looking for Superman
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

The conventions can be very lonely. I remember my last one, I came by myself, didn't see anyone I knew. I had been struggling for years, this was a last attempt to get myself motivated, obviously it did not work. When you take out the social aspects, all that is left is boring talks and constantly being told you aren't good enough, you aren't doing enough. The Watchtower engages in black and white thinking, very dangerous for a depressed person.

• happy@last
    happy@last

Absolutely tragic. The last meeting I ever went to was an assembly, except the one to hear my no longer being an elder, I needed to hear that for closure. These gathering are pure BS, promising comfort and security in a spiritual paradise! Yeah right! I was in Glasgow on Saturday around that time (not the convention, in an antique shop not far away), so near and yet so far for this young person :-(

• cofty
    cofty
    should the info be passed on to the local media

No. There will be a fatal accident enquiry. Let's wait respectfully and see what comes out there.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    jambon1 - "...its about time those in responsible positions in the org seen the link between their extreme teachings and views of the world and clinical depression."

"Those in responsible positions in the org" will never see that link for the same reason that they'll never see the link between the WTS's internal policies and its institutionalized child abuse...

...because if they did, it would be tantamount to acknowledging that the way in which WTS functions is fundamentally and irrevocably flawed.

And that is simply unacceptable to them.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

As I said, if true, this is more likely to be used by the Society as a cautionary example on why we shouldn't leave the premises between sessions. "This poor young brother just wanted a Subway sandwich, but instead he got railroaded! The Governing Body loves us and wants us to be safe! They tell us these things for a reason, so let's heed their instructions!"

• steve2
    steve2

jambon1 I appreciate your answer and perfectly understand the need to respect confidentiality. While we may assume that this is a fitting example of how harrowing the negative impact of messages at district conventions, the Watchtower spin will be about the dangers of "straying" from the organization and the need to be even more involved. I do not agree with posters who suggest the media run with this as a type of expose against the Watchtower.

Depression is a serious mental-health disorder in which sufferers are often at heightened risk of suicidal behavior. I heard recently that a young girl killed herself by overdosing on her medication after going to morning church (the local Anglican church).

Suicide has a devastating enough impact on family and friends without whipping up a media mud-raking storm to make a point that we may have a vested interest in proving.

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

Steve2,.

I'm not sure why you would not want the media to run with this story, IF it is factually presented. I'm not talking about a tabloid expose on this persons life, just a highlighting of the facts about the high level of depression in the JWs and how the GB WTBTS seems to be clamping down even harder on the JWs.

How will people outside the JWs, possibly even some Jws, know what that these things are happening unless it is brought out into the public eye.

It could actually save lives of those that are just getting interested in the Jws.

If done in a prefessional manner I do not see a downside.

NJY

• jgnat
    jgnat

One suicide does not a trend make. If I were to interest the media, I'd like to find an old-time investigative reporter to investigate on a wider scale, if truly suicide and depression is higher amongst the Witnesses than the general population. To be fair, the investigation should include other religious bodies for comparison. Are all religions depressing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit