Young man walks out of Glasgow convention and commits suicide

by jambon1 92 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

So, he continued to ask, gently bleating away quietly in the background, what is the basis for claiming the young man was at the Glasgow convention??

• Simon
    Simon

It's probably a reasonable assumption to make but should be verified before anyone quotes things as 'fact'.

• Scully
    Scully

This makes me terribly sad, and unbelievably furious at the same time.

I remember how devastated I felt after The Memorial™ in 1994, in the throes of severe postpartum depression, having been refused the opportunity to pass the Emblems™. Here they were letting DFd people and complete strangers participate, but because I was suffering from a debilitating mental illness, some idiot Elder­™ decided that I might "partake unworthily" and so instucted the Attendants™ to make sure I was not allowed to handle the wine or the bread.

It just topped off how horrible I felt at the time, and the next day I ended up in hospital on a suicide watch. I just wanted to spare Jehovah the bother of destroying me at Armageddon™. Thankfully, I had the help of a terrific physician and a skilled psychiatrist, and visiting nurses who restored my faith in humankind and helped me on the road to recovery.

To know that this kind of mental browbeating is still allowed to happen makes my blood boil.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Damn. That is messed up. May he rest in peace. I have a feeling these things are gonna start happening at the conventions more often.

• rebel8
    rebel8

WOW, Scully

• clarity
    clarity

These assemblies are hard to take ...the set-up seems kind of 'happifying',

but the morale tells a different story. There are as many tears of upset

as there are the toothy smiles!

>

Always someone crying in the washroom & I don't think it had to do

with rationing of the toilet paper LOL!

>

If you were volunteering ..somehow you weren't doing it right.

If you went to the first aid room ... you were a bit of a nuisance

>

All you wanted to do, was go home & forget everything you heard!

>

Imagine sitting alone in the midst of this large crowd ... feeling so empty.

Knowing you will never be good enough .... you try to find the love &

warmth but instead find rubbing shoulders with these people...

very impersonal....... very cold, detatched, remote.

>

Many who come, are attracted because they have no family

& few friends .... and soon become disappointed with what they have been told!

>

Religion kills in many ways ......

clarity

PS welcome & glad you came to JWN ...Zoos & Zakharijah

• zakharijah
    zakharijah

Thanks @Clarity :)

• besty
    besty

zakharijah - you have a PM - click the envelope icon top right - if you get an error message click F5 to reload the page.

• jambon1
    jambon1

For my own reasons and incidentally that of the lads family I'd rather not go into detail.

He was definitely a witness who apparently walked out the morning session to take his life on the train track.

The lad was 19. Suffered from depression.

Absolutely horrible news and my thoughts are with his family.

Without trying to sound presumptions in the case of the lad but its about time those in responsible positions in the org seen the link between their extreme teachings and views of the world and clinical depression.

Its undeniable.

• cofty
    cofty

This is so tragic.

When they spout their hatred they forget words have consequences.

Thank you for the update. Hopefully all the facts will come out when the Procurator Fiscal holds the fatal accident enquiry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit