Young man walks out of Glasgow convention and commits suicide

by jambon1 92 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

But Cofty did you notice how an apostate is defined? Someone who thinks they know what God wants and compliments you and tries to convince you to follow them. (Something like that, from memory) If it comes up in conversation with your dad, you could point out you meet none of those criteria. You can't be an apostate.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes the talk is full of strawman arguments.

It's amazing how often they use an illustration to try to prove a point but there is no actual content to support the application of the illustration.

I'm only 10 minutes in and he must have used a dozen illustrations.

He has just got to the advice of putting your fingers in your ears OMG!

• 88JM
    88JM

slimboyfat - Baptism talk uploaded here:

11:40 - Baptism Talk - Continue Walking in the Truth
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/aa5qvf

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks 88JM

Cofty did you not believe me that he really said that? Do you think he was being subversive or did he really mean it?

• flipper
    flipper

WT Society leaders should be brought up on charges of crimes against humanity for how many have committed suicides due to shunning. And other causes of death due to following WT doctrines and beliefs. It's disgusting. Another young life lost. Very sad. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• cofty
    cofty
    Do you think he was being subversive or did he really mean it?

I think he was being sincere.

The sense of being infantalised only occurred to me after I woke up to other errors.

• Poindexter Lionel Humperdique
    Poindexter Lionel Humperdique

During a semi-annaul Circuit Overseer-Elders meeting, I witnessed the C.O. ask the body of elders if there were any brothers in the hall with mental issues. One of the elders responded, "yeah, unfortunautely, we have a few of them and they are a mess to deal with." At that point, other elders began to chime in with insults regarding mental conditions while other elders and the C.O laughed with them in full agreement. I was sickened to my stomach. This was the last Circuit Overseer-Elders meeting I attended as I stepped down shortly thereafter.

The deplorable attitude of the orginiations view of mental conditions originates within the management of the organization. Shame on them!

• adamah
    adamah

PLH said-

The deplorable attitude of the orginiations view of mental conditions originates within the management of the organization. Shame on them!

Yup. The hubris of thinking they are capable and fully-justified in essence to diagnose and treat people with KNOWN treatable conditions, as if they're licensed to treat cases of "spiritual food poisoning". It's a fine-line between what JWs attempt, and what faith healers do (although the blood doctrine is the JW version of faith healing, relying on their faith in God alone).

Truly sad, as THAT'S the occult (hidden) cost of religious beliefs, where those in a position of leadership (from MS to elders to GB members) are allowed to prey on the sick and ill, the ones in society who are vulnerable and LEAST able to defend themselves, all while the JWs operate under the umbrella of freedom of worship.

And the worse part is, aside from education on a personal level (like on JWN, to learn TTATT), there's nothing that can be done to protect these at-risk members, so it ironically becomes a matter for Darwin's principle of natural selection to sort out (survival of those who are able to protect themselves from harmful doctrines). There just seems to be no easy answer here, so the body count continues to rise....

Adam

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I've just listened to the 'Human Apostates' one too. Quite different from the US version. Yes, if anyone says anything critical of the org., stick your fingers in your ears and sing loudly The usual message: basically, there is never a legitimate reason to leave the org. - leave-takers are wrong and the org. is right, always, by default. I found the 'False Front' talk just as bad about hypocrisy and rejecting falsehoods. I thought, 'Set the example, GB, and I might take your counsel with better grace.'

I can imagine a vulnerable, depressed person, perhaps feeling trapped or conflicted, could be tipped over the edge by this series of talks.

• zakharijah
    zakharijah

Thanks a lot 88JM!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit