Please Share one of your Favourite Quotations

by cofty 95 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Have you ever come across words that resonate with you? It doesn't have to be a great gem of wisdom, just something that is meaningful to you.

Please share, and if you want to, tell us why it's meaningful to you.

Here is something that made me nod when I first read it...

"Fortunate are those who have learned to see, in the wild things of nature, something to be loved, something to be wondered at, something to be reverenced, for they have found the key to a never-failing source of recreation and refreshment". - Hugh B. Cott

It was a fellow elder that taught me how to really notice at the natural world 20 years ago. I have never tired of gazing since, and never will - he is also now an ex-JW.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

"you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

"Opportunity often comes diguised as misfortune or temorary defeat."

I wont dilute it by adding anything to it, just to say it bore true for me, for that reason it is how I began my university application.

• Mum
    Mum

These are some of my favorites. They're from memory, so they probably are not word-for-word quotations:

I am not impressed by feelings in hearts. I am impressed by character and courage. - Dr. Laura Schlessinger

Life's most compelling and important question is, "What are you doing for others? - Martin Luther King, Jr.

The fundamental cause of trouble in the world is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubts. - Bertrand Russell

Everyone is a genius. If you judged a fish on his ability to climb a tree, he would go through life thinking he was stupid. - Albert Einstein

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Great thread Cofty!

I have a large collection of favorite quotes, but here are two that I think are particularly relevant to this forum:

“Cherish those who seek the truth but beware of those who [claim to] find it.” – Voltaire

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” - Nobel prize-winning physicist Richard Feynman

• iCeltic
    iCeltic

Never, never, never give up.

i am easily satisfied with the very best.

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
    Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

all Winston Churchill.

• why144000
    why144000

You see things and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were, and I say 'WHY NOT!'

George Bernard Shaw

• Dagney
    Dagney

See that any time you feel pained or defeated, it is only because you insist on clinging to what doesn't work. Dare to let go and you won't lose a thing except for a punishing idea. ~ Guy Finley

Each indecision brings its own delays and days are lost lamenting over the lost days… What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has magic, power and genius in it. ~ Goethe (on my desk in front of my face every day.)

I learned that it is the weak who are cruel, and that gentleness is to be expected only from the strong. ~ Leo Rosten

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do. ~ Helen Keller

• briffoux
    briffoux

"The graveyards are full of indispensable men"

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

My mother used to say interesting stuff. One of her favorite sayings was, "some days results, other days consequences." I like that one, some days we make progress, other days we screw up and have to fix things. It shouldn't discourage us too much when we're dealing with consequences of poor decisions. We learn a lot by fixing our own mistakes.

I think I've told you all many times about the saying that got me out of the wtbts. I saw a bumper sticker that said, "since I gave up hope I feel better." I saw it very soon after I heard a Sunday talk at the KH about the "spiritual man and the fleshly man." I realized I was fleshly according to that speaker, and according to the wtbts, screwed. I laughed when I saw the bumper sticker, but it rang true. Giving up the wtbts hope made me feel better instantly. And it didn't take long for me to see that their hope is false anyway, a fantasy that will never happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit