Please Share one of your Favourite Quotations

by cofty 95 Replies latest jw friends

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy~ Einstein

Not all who wander are lost~ Tolkien

The earth laughs in flowers~ R. W. Emerson

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you~ C Jung

I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened~ Twain

Dance is the poetry of the body~ FFF

Gandalf! I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself. Is everything sad going to come untrue?~ Tolkien

• krejames
    krejames

"Too long a sacrifice can make a stone of the heart...o when may it suffice?" (Y B Yeats)

I found this quote as a teenager in the liner notes of a pop album. I didn't realise it related to Irish political history at the time, but the quote stuck with me and it kept coming to my mind when I was going through an emotional breakdown - trying to deal with the gay thing while trying to be a good JW, and yet still feeling like it was not enough. I really felt my heart was turning to stone and ultimately the sacrifice of denying who I was, was too great. I can never go back.

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost from the poem a road less travelled. This one has been with me and applicable my whole life.

• Comatose
    Comatose

"It's all part of life. The good, the bad, the happy, the sad, the shit and the wonderful. It's all part of life."

an older gentleman I know

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Truth seeker 674, I love that poem, thanks for quoting it.

It's always interested me how many people think, like you, that the poem is called, "The Road Less Travelled " or something like that. The poem is after all (metaphorically) about the path in the woods he DID take:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

But the title of the poem is actually, The Road Not Taken.

It's a curious puzzle that Frost titled his poem about the path he DID NOT choose, rather than the one he did. It's deliciously obtuse that way.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. - Max Ehrmann.

I know Desiderata is trite but when I first saw it framed on someone's wall when I was out in field service aged about 19 this line resonated with me and it still does. Maybe it is because, as Carl Sagan said, we are made of star-stuff.

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Barn's burned down, now I can see the moon~ Masahide

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

"The best revenge is massive success."

-Frank Sinatra

• caliber
    caliber

This above all: to thine own self be true,
    And it must follow, as the night the day,
    Thou canst not then be false to any man

To thine own self be true." is that success or happy existence that is based on your ability to develop your own core values of morals and ethics.

It needs to be understood that "being true yourself" does not mean allowing yourself to just do whatever you desire or pretending that you don't care

how others perceive you. It is actually the process of listening to your inner feelings and maintaining personal integrity ... not letting others override

our heartfelt desires and beliefs without your input

I believe this is helpful to those who were JW's in the past who felt overwhelmed and subdued (not allowed to be given a voice about their finding their" true self " ) ....integrity with due respect for all .... withholding true feelings would be proving false to man

• DNCall
    DNCall

"I remember the first time I had sex. I kept the receipt." Groucho Marx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit