Please Share one of your Favourite Quotations

by cofty 95 Replies latest jw friends

• mouthy
    mouthy

I know a lot of you wont like this but I like it.So allow the old girl her favorite saying ( Please)

Broken Dreams
    ______________-
    As children bring their broken toys
    with tears for us to mend,
    I brought my broken dreams to GOD
    because He was my friend,
    But then instead of leaving Him
    in peace to work alone,
    I hung around & tried to help
    with ways that were my own.
    At last I snatched them back & cried
    "How can you be so slow?"
    "My child" he said "What could I do?
    You never did let go"

_______________------------------

Remember my garden all rocks thrown will be added to it.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Silence is God's natural language......everything else are bad translations.

• FirstLastName
    FirstLastName

Great thread!

" Be yourself, everyone else is taken." -Oscar Wilde

" There is an old saying about people that forget history. I don't remember it, but I hear its good" - Stephen Colbert

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"The easiest thing of all is to DECEIVE one's self; for what a man wishes, he generally believes to be TRUE."

Demosthenes

(funnily enough I heard that first in a public Talk at a K.Hall. The irony of the quote was lost on the speaker)

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Douglas Bader

"He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder. "

Albert Einstein

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

We have been brought into the present condition in which we are unable neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them. - Livy

Applies in lots of different areas of life including the situaution some find themselves in as stranded JWs.

• Gopher
    Gopher

"I'd rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question." -- Written by someone in the early days of this message board

• Glander
    Glander

There is certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse!

As I have often found in traveling in a stagecoach, that it is often a comfort to shift one's position, and be bruised in a new place.

Washington Irving

• Truth seeker 674
    Truth seeker 674

A fish would never get caught if he kept his mouth shut. (My own saying I think. I use it a lot with my wife. LOL)

• happy@last
    happy@last

Over the years different quotations take on different meanings depending on our circumstances

At the moment I like this, from the film Shawshank Redemption : either get busy living or get busy dying.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Happy the man, and happy he alone,

he who can call today his own:

he who, secure within, can say,

Tomorrow do thy worst, for I have lived today.

Horace (Odes)

I suppose this appeals to me because it is saying don't waste a day being miserable. Live like today is your last. When I realised TTATT at 30 I felt I had been given only about forty years to live so I've tried to enjoy it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit