Why do the GB need a new Bethel compound if the end is so close? Here is the "official" answer

by sir82 120 Replies latest jw friends

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

"I look out my window, and I see the Manhattan skyline, and I know that it is all going to be utterly destroyed. Why should we remain here in Brooklyn? Why not build far away from there, and we'll have beautiful buildings which we can continue to use after Armageddon?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Qg9oerQp4

• cofty
    cofty

Ensconced in their cult compound I expect an increase in talk about persecution and the "us v them" mentality.

• besty
    besty
    Ensconced in their cult compound I expect an increase in talk about persecution and the "us v them" mentality.

agreed cofty - its a good shtick for them because it's all in the eye of the beholder...saves them actually - ya know - predicting anything tangible...

• scotoma
    scotoma

The real reason JW's are abandoning the NYC area:

Buffett: Nuclear attack 'virtually a certainty'

May 6, 2002 Posted: 7:55 AM EDT (1155 GMT)

Warren Buffett
    Investor Warren Buffett, who has major insurance holdings, says the United States faces a high
    risk of nuclear, chemical or biological attack.

OMAHA, Nebraska (AP) -- Investment guru Warren Buffett offered a bleak prediction for the
    nation's national security, saying a terrorist attack on American soil is "virtually a certainty."

Envy and dislike of the United States have fueled rage against the country even as the ability to
    build a nuclear device has spread, Buffett said Sunday at the final day of Berkshire Hathaway
    Inc.'s annual meeting.

"We're going to have something in the way of a major nuclear event in this country," said Buffett,
    the firm's chief operating officer. "It will happen. Whether it will happen in 10 years or 10
    minutes, or 50 years ... it's virtually a certainty."

Washington and New York would be the top two targets because terrorists want to traumatize the
    country and kill as many people as possible, Buffett said.

Check out this web-site. It let's you choose the size of nuclear weapon and location of detonation to see the perimeter of damage

http://www.nucleardarkness.org/nuclear/nuclearexplosionsimulator/

A 1 kiloton device (suit case size) would wipe out the financial district, disrupt transportation for the whole NYC area, cripple the electrical supply grid. Cause structural damage to property up to a mile from the blast.

Experts say that currently there is a 10% chance of a nuclear terrorist attack in the next year and that for every year on out you can add another percentage point.

So if you have common sense you would pull your world HQ out of New York City. Even if your buildings are far enough from a low yield blast to survive damage the property would greatly diminish in value because people would be spooked to buy a condo or business location in NYC. Add to this the interruption in business and it makes sense to get out of NYC.

I think the World Trade Center spectacle marked the point where they decided to get the hell out. It has nothing to do with whether God could protect them at some "armageddon".

So it is either a common sense rational decision or maybe they were guided by some "higher" intelligence to make their move.

When that fateful day arrives (as the experts seem to believe is certain) the GB will of course claim it was divine providence that they made the decision to "flee" Brooklyn. Then the fabricated stories about how they finally decided to move will start to be discussed. How some felt they should stay and others thought they should leave and how by one vote they decided to leave.

They are in a win-win situation. They will have just bought themselves another generation.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

@scotoma

EXACTLY. And as mentioned, ever since 9/11 the witnesses have been ancy about moving out of the area. Before 9/11, there was this 'concept' of sorts that Jehovah's coming distruction on the world would be like... the rapture in tornado form LOL. that everyone will be killed and all the buildings either distroyed or (those that would be useful) emptied but witnesses, kingdom halls, and the headquarters would all be sparred - a hunt-and-peck devastation .

After 9/11 the idea of being BOMBED and destroyed was a very REAL concept. This isn't Kingdom Halls being vandilized, this was mass destruction sh*t.

I can tell you from my time there that the world headquarters as a functioning business has NO plans toward the coming war at Armageddon. We were working on Y2K stuff five year before anybody else even thought about the problem. They are a fully working money-making machine and they are not going to stop working just because 'the end of the world' is just around the corner, and Bethellites are not given any "in case of Armageddon" instructions upon arrival.

So, either they feel that all the JW's are going to still need a mass production of magazines and books after Armageddon (not sure how that works without the postal system in place but I'm sure Jehovah has that planned out), or they do not believe their own dogma. I'm not sure which. But as an entity, Bethel is not preparing for the end of the world.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

9/11 put a serious scare in them.

/True

• blondie
    blondie

*** w83 11/1 p. 30 A Joyous Dedication in Tahiti ***

Why, though, does the Society construct new buildings when the world is in such an uncertain state? Brother Barry explained that Jehovah’s organization expects to survive these troubled times. God’s people are getting equipped and organized to give the greatest witness possible in these final years before Armageddon brings an end to this system of things. And they hope that many of their new facilities will be used in the great post-Armageddon reorganization work.

*** w86 1/1 pp. 25-26 par. 18 Building for an Eternal Future ***

‘But why,’ someone may ask, ‘are there so many expansion projects when we stand face-to-face with Armageddon?’ The answer is that Jehovah’s organization does not ‘close up shop’ with the approach of Armageddon. That is ‘closing time’ only for Satan’s organization. Jehovah’s organization is building for an eternal future. Whether or not man-made structures weather the storm of Armageddon, we know that God’s organization will survive as a going concern and that Jehovah will use it and those who loyally support it, establishing eternal peace and security in the glorious earthly Paradise of God’s promise.—Revelation 7:9, 14-17; 21:1, 4, 5.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

The purpose of moving to Walkhill is to keep the bethel boys away from liquor stores...

(The bethel boys liquour money is the Watchtower's next target on their cash flow hit list...)

• blondie
    blondie

Didn't work at Wallkill even with little Pinebush the closest source. They even managed to get it underage by having older Bethel boys buy it. Where there is a thirst, there is a way...Bethel Boy.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

It will be easier for these Authoritarians to tighten up security and keep away from the outside world. I'm sure they would hate the pubicity of a massive protest while living in Brooklyn Heights, such as has occurred in the past, with all these child molestations lawsuits hitting the courts, angry disfelloshipped members, and embarasing blood issue, they better high tail it into the Boonies where they can minimize exposure to Satan's world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit