Why do the GB need a new Bethel compound if the end is so close? Here is the "official" answer

by sir82 120 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am sure Jehovah could easily protect the cult compound in Brooklyn with a protective bubble of holy spirit. But the mess and carnage outside that bubble would make the roads impossible to get the life-saving words of the FDS out to the throngs of people. Rural NY just makes sense.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Compare:

This guy related the reasoning from Splane, on why so much effort. Following is a paraphrase of Splane's comments:

"I look out my window, and I see the Manhattan skyline, and I know that it is all going to be utterly destroyed. Why should we remain here in Brooklyn? Why not build far away from there, and we'll have beautiful buildings which we can continue to use after Armageddon?"

(It's reminds me of the NooLite™ on the FDS and the GB's comment - "We love this teaching.")

A WT from last year revealed that they do not know if this project is Jehovah's will or not. They're just going ahead according to their own will. The question at the end about the closeness of the end relates to, not what God has directed but the GB's change of mind.

w12 8/15 pp. 16-19

A Meeting Marked by Unity and Thrilling Plans

... Guy Pierce of the Governing Body spoke next and acknowledged that all present were curious about our construction projects in New York State. He introduced a video showing developments at Wallkill, Patterson, and recently acquired sites in Warwick and Tuxedo, New York. At Wallkill, a new residence due to be completed in 2014 will provide over 300 additional rooms.

There are plans to develop a 248-acre (100 ha) property at Warwick. “Although we are not yet certain of Jehovah’s will regarding Warwick,” said Brother Pierce, “we are proceeding to develop the site with the intention of relocating the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses there.” Plans are also being made to use a 50-acre (20 ha) parcel of land situated six miles (10 km) north of Warwick to facilitate the staging of machinery and building material. “Once construction is permitted, we hope to complete the entire project within four years,” said Brother Pierce. “Then our property in Brooklyn can be sold.”

“Has the Governing Body changed its mind about the closeness of the great tribulation?” asked Brother Pierce. “Not at all,” he answered. “If the great tribulation interrupts our plans, that will be wonderful, absolutely wonderful!”

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

So to boil it down, they're spending millions of dollars because Jehovah can't aim.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Why should Splane and the rest of the GB care about Armageddon anyway?

They get a one way ticket to heaven BEFORE the Big A starts, according to the 'New Light'. They'll be leaving any day now.

George

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Ah just read your comment OTWO....that makes more sense, he can aim or use force field HS bubble, but the roads will be all jacked up. Got it.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Why should Splane and the rest of the GB care about Armageddon anyway?

They get a one way ticket to heaven BEFORE the Big A starts, according to the 'New Light'.

Duh, of course! Why should they care about the view of the Manhattan skyline? They'll be taking part in trashing the whole planet. LOL.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

“Although we are not yet certain of Jehovah’s will regarding Warwick,” said Brother Pierce, “we are proceeding to develop the site with the intention of relocating the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses there."

See if the same reasoning works if you, as an Average Joe JW, say you want to: go to college; build a home; start a business, save for retirement, etc.

The GB is only certain Armageddon is coming "soon" when it comes to the average rank-and-file JW's plans for their life. Uncertainty only enters the picture when the GB has their own plans.

It's interesting that Jehovah allegedly tells the GB to build a multi-million dollar project but doesn't tell them what they're supposed to do with it.

Outlaw- you crack me up! LOL.

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

I see the Manhattan skyline, and I know that it is all going to be utterly destroyed.

That reminds me of Anthony Morris speaking at a DC a few years ago. He kept going on and on about how he looked forward to standing of the roof at Bethel and "looking out and seeing the entire Manhattan skyline in flames." He was literally cackling with anticipation and glee at the idea. My better half looked at me and said "does he realize that there are people here who had friends and relatives that died on 9/11? How insensitive can you be? And HE'S on the Governing Body?"

Why not build far away from there, and we'll have beautiful buildings which we can continue to use after Armageddon?"

Doesn't he mean "...and YOU'LL have beautiful buildings which YOU can use after Armageddon?" After all, he'll be comfortable in his new heavenly assignment by then. (I wonder how many Bethel points you would need to be next in line for his old room?)

R_O

• respectful_observer
    respectful_observer

Maybe they finally realized that once Armageddon came, no significant construction project would be able to even start without "This System's TM " infastructure (power grid, transportation) or industry (mining, steel mills, microprocessor manufacturers, plastics makers, oil refineries, etc., etc., etc.).

The RBC may be able to build a Kingdom Hall over a few weekends, but I wonder how successful it would be at mining the ore, smelting, casting and machining all just to get a single drill bit. Or make the glass from sand to construct double-pane windows. Or refine crude oil to make plastics for the light switches, and on, and on, and on.

R_O

(I suppose instead of Jehovah covering the ground with Manna every morning, every JW could wake up to go out and collect construction equipment and building materials..."Look Mom, I found a table saw this morning!!! That's even better than the 20 lb box of finish nails I found yesterday!!!)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

God is all powerful, all knowing, the very definition of wisdom and knowledge.

But He has never been good with money.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit