Water Fluoridation

by still thinking 136 Replies latest jw friends

• still thinking
    still thinking

Thanks for those articles sammies

Acute Poisonings from Water Fluoridation:

JUNE 2002 – Dublin, California: Malfunction with fluoridation equipment produces fluoride levels as high as 200 ppm at local business. 23 people are poisoned. The primary symptoms are stomach pain and vomiting. (SOURCE: Contra Costa Times 2002)

AUGUST 2000 – Wakefield, Massachusetts: Error with fluoridation equipment leads to fluoride levels as high as 23 ppm. Local health officials claim no one is affected, however news reports interview at least one resident with diarrhea and dizziness. (SOURCE: Boston Herald, 2000)

AUGUST 1993 – Poplarville, Mississippi: Fluoride levels at local restaurant reach 48 ppm, perhaps as high as 200 ppm, after accident with town fluoridation equipment. At least 34 of the restaurant’s patrons are poisoned. A study in Public Health Reports finds that “The most common symptoms were nausea (97%), vomiting (68%), diarrhea (65%), and abdominal cramps (53%); 14 people (41%) reported headaches, four (12%) reported burning sensations in the throat or chest, and one person reported excessive salivation. None recalled an abnormal taste to the water.” (SOURCE: Penman 1997)

JULY 1993 — Chicago, Illinois: 3 dialysis patients die and five additional patients suffer allergic reactions after a malfunction in the fluoride filtration systems allows an unspecified level of fluoride to enter into the dialysis units. (SOURCE: Carton 1994 | Chicago Sun Times 1993 | FDA Health Alert)

MAY 1992 — Hooper Bay, Alaska: One man dies, one man is airlifted to hospital in critical condition and 260 are poisoned. It is the largest reported fluoridation accident to date. Symptoms include “nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, loss of appetite, headache, weakness, itching, numbness or tingling of an extremity, shortness of breath (and) fatigue.” (SOURCE: News Tribune 1992 | Gessner 1994)

FEBRUARY 1992 — Rice Lake, Wisconsin: Residents vomiting. Centers for Disease Control state that 150 water consumers potentially at risk. A pump feed thought to have lasted for two days leads to fluoride levels as high as 20 ppm. The Wisconsin State Dental Director states, “To be harmful, exposure would have to have been about 225 ppm.” This statement is incorrect, as serious adverse symptoms have been reported as low as 50 ppm, and death has occurred at 150 ppm. (SOURCE: Carton 1994)

JULY 1991 — Portage, Michigan: Approximately 40 children develop abdominal pains, sickness, vomiting and diarrhea at an arts and crafts show at school. One of the city’s fluoride injector pumps failed. Fluoride levels not determined at the time, but later test at 92 ppm. (SOURCE: Carton 1994 | See study discussing this accident)

OCTOBER 1990 — Westby, Wisconsin: Fluoride levels reach as high as 150 ppm after fluoridation malfunction. Four families suffer a week of diarrhea, upset stomach and burning throats. The water utility supervisor estimates the fluoride level to be ten times normal since it had burned his mouth. The elevated fluoride levels corrode the copper off the pipes in area homes, producing copper concentrations 70 times higher than the EPA recommended limit. (SOURCE: Carton 1994)

MARCH 1986 – New Haven, Connecticut - Of the 312 persons interviewed four days after the accident, in the 127 households at risk, 18% report symptoms of abdominal cramping, nausea, headache, diarrhea, vomiting, diaphoresis (profuse sweating), and fever. Others experience rashes and irritation from bathing and washing dishes. The fluoride levels peak at 51 ppm. (SOURCE: Carton 1994 | See study discussing this accident)

OCTOBER 1981 – Jonesboro, Maine - 57 students, teachers and principal are taken to hospital after an accident with school fluoridation equipment. 38 are administered regurgitants to make them vomit the fluoride, and milk to counteract the poison. Two are admitted to the hospital for several hours for fast heartbeat. Other symptoms include nausea, abdominal pain and vomiting. On December 1, 1981, Jonesboro citizens vote 43-2 not to reinstate fluoridation at the school, and to charge the Dept. of Human Services for the emergency room bill of $1,137.24. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981 | The Maine Paper 1981 )

AUGUST 1980 – Vermont - Accident with school water fluoridation equipment leads to fluoride levels as high as 1,041 ppm and causes an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness, headache, dizziness, and diarrhea at a farmers market. (SOURCE: Vogt 1982)

NOVEMBER 1979 – Annapolis, Maryland - Operator fails to close valve of fluoride container; causing 1,000 gallons of fluoride to be dumped into the water supply. 1 dialysis patient dies, 1 suffers a heart attack, 1 develops long-term brain damage, while others experience nausea, hypotension (low blood pressure), chest pain or pressure, diarrhea, itching, flushing, vomiting (blood tinged), weakness, dyspnea (breathing difficulty), profuse sweating, shakiness, localized numbness, abdominal cramping, and headache. Others not on dialysis experience nausea, headache, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and dizziness. Pepsi Cola files suit for $1.6 million for damage to product, while a surviving dialysis patient with resulting brain damage sues for $210 million. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981 | Evening Capital 1982)

MAY 1979 – Island Falls, Maine - Fluoride machine allows extra fluoride into water system while motor head is being changed. “The exact water fluoride level was not ascertained although a water sample at a manufacturing plant was greater than 10 ppm.” 5 people suffer gastrointestinal illness.” (SOURCE: Bevis 1981)

NOVEMBER 1978 – Los Lunas, New Mexico - Faulty electric relay switch causes concentrated fluoride to be pumped into water system. 34 people experience acute fluoride poisoning. Symptoms include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, muscle twitching and excess salivation. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981 | Hoffman 1980)

NOVEMBER 1977 – Harbor Springs, Michigan - A tree cut down by a contractor falls on power lines controlling the water department’s electrical signal lines… Approximately 189 lbs. of fluoride is accidentally pumped into the city’s water system.. Four people experience nausea or vomiting and weakness. Had it not been an off-season for this resort town more could have been poisoned. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981)

APRIL 1974 – Manly County, North Carolina - Fluoride feeder pump malfunctions, causing the fluoride solution to be fed into the water system continuously while water pump is not operating. 213 individuals experience nausea after drinking orange juice mixed with water. 201 students and 7 adults vomit. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981)

JUNE 1972 – Northeast Bradford Elementary School, Rome Pennsylvania - Records show fluoride at 48 ppm in water and 230 ppm in coffee. 150 students attending a school picnic vomit after drinking orange juice made with the water. (SOURCE: Bevis 1981)

• still thinking
    still thinking

And a bit closer to home....

Brisbane: Too much fluoride in drinking water will mean little public confidence

Source: The Medical News | May 14th, 2009 Location: Australia back to topback to top
  • A A A
  • The revelation that some Brisbane residents were inadvertently exposed to excessive levels of fluoride in their drinking water earlier this month will do little to enhance the case for adding fluoride to public water systems.

The concern raised has been further exacerbated by the fact that it apparently took as long as 12 days to identify the problem and it seems the government was not notified until this week that 300,000 litres of contaminated water were pumped into as many as 4,000 Brisbane homes on the 1st of May.

Though the Queensland Government says a full investigation is underway public confidence in is bound to be eroded with the news that some residents at Brendale and Warner, north of Brisbane, were drinking water for a period of three hours earlier this month with a fluoride concentration 20 times higher than the recommended maximum limit.

The investigation will also focus on why at least three safety devices failed at the plant – the problem occurred when fluoride continued to mix into water when the treatment plant was shut down for routine maintenance late last month and when the plant resumed operations on May 1, the overdosed water discharged into household supplies between 9am and 12 noon.

The Queensland Opposition says that it took nearly two weeks for the Government to find out about an excessive release of fluoride into public drinking water supplies and tell the public, which is not good enough and brings into question the management of the system.

Opposition Leader John Paul Langbroek says the Government cannot afford to make mistakes on the purity of drinking water and the Government should be reassuring Queenslanders that all the procedures in place and that fail-safe mechanisms are working properly.

The Opposition Leader who is himself a dentist, and in favour of fluoridation, says the public were told the processes would be safe.

SEQWater as a rule receives routine test results on the same day but it appears LinkWater the bulk supplier failed to test the water before its release after the shutdown but tested it 12 days later – LinkWater received the test results back on Tuesday and SEQ Water was told on Wednesday and the Queensland Premier Anna Bligh was told later that evening.

Queensland Health chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young says there had been no complaints of gastroenteritis, which would have produced diarrhoea and vomiting within 24 hours and for there to be a health risk the levels would have to be much higher and for much longer than three hours.

The plant has been switched off since the findings – Anna Bligh says the incident was unprecedented at any other fluoride treatment plant in Australia and Mark Pascoe, CEO of the International Water Centre based in Brisbane, will lead the investigation.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Also consider this: It is illegal, medical malpractice, and unethical for a physician to prescribe a drug without specifying dosage, and to fail to monitor your health for side effects from the drug.....sammies

I don't think people are considering this sammies.

• still thinking
    still thinking

"For 65 years, community water fluoridation has been a safe and healthy way to effectively prevent tooth decay. CDC has recognized water fluoridation as one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century."...jgnat

There is no evidence for this claim. There have been NO human trials done to support their claim. Mass medication is not a public health achievement in my book. It is an abuse of power.

How they can make this claim amongst evidence that countries with NO fluoridation have the SAME result is beyond me.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Still thinking, that quote is from the CDC. Are you saying the CDC has no evidence? I rest my case, and I'll nurse my blood pressure and stay off this thread.

• mamochan13
    mamochan13

This is a fascinating thread, ST. Thank you for starting it. Some really interesting research and food for thought you and SammieLee have provided. Too many people are afraid to challenge long-standing concepts of what's good for us. But flouridation came into popularity back in the stone ages of dentistry. My own teeth were ruined by it when I was a kid. Our knowledge has increased significantly, and I think it's time for these kinds of debates. Just because something has been done a certain way for a long time, does it mean it's right?

We've had flouridation accidents here, too, but they claim no one got sick or died so it was okay. I do appreciate the analogy of forcible public medicating. I had not seen it that way previously, but it's certainly something worth thinking seriously about.

• still thinking
    still thinking

I rest my case...jgnat

Really? I must have missed it.

jgnat...you haven't even remotely made a case. I'm not sure why you believe you have. All you have done is put up a link to what some people at the CDC say...and copy pasted a list of those people. And told us that beurocrats are inherantly stupid.

Perhaps you would like to make a case. Since you seem to support the claims of the CDC. Based on what data? Do you know what the CDC has to say about evidence of long-term neurological effects? Do they have an opinion on the latest findings or do they simply ignore it? Are they aware of the comparitive results showing that areas that are fluoridated show no difference to unfluoridated areas? What is their explanation for this? And HOW can they, in all honestly call that " one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century." When unfluoridated countries show exactly the same results.And the CDC have NO HUMAN TRIALS to suport their claims.

I'm keen to see you attempt to make a case supporting the CDC.

• still thinking
    still thinking

You are most welcome Mamochan...

This is how I chose to live my life these days. Question EVERYTHING...especially previously held beliefs and ideas. They may still stack up...but they may not. I'm more than happy to be wrong because hopefully, I will eventually find out what is right.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Israeli Supreme Court Backs Work of Irish Scientist on Fluoride

Fluoridation of the water supply in Israel is to end by 2014, following a landmark decision by the country's highest judicial authority

The Hot Press Newsdesk, 06 Aug 2013

In a landmark decision, the Supreme Court in Israel has ruled that all public water fluoridation in the state of Israel must cease by 2014.

The court's ruling is remarkable in that it goes even further than – and thus overturns – the decision taken earlier this year by Isreal's Minister for Health, Yael German, who had legislated for an end to mandatory fluoridation, leaving the option open to local councils to fluoridate water supplies at their own discretion. Now, however, by order of the Supreme Court, fluoridation in Israel is definitively at an end. This is regarded as a crucial victory by anti-fluoridation campaigners, especially given the close diplomatic and economic links between Israel and the US – the original home of the policy of fluoridation.

The decision is a further vindication of the work of Irish scientist Declan Waugh, who has been directly involved in the campaign to end fluoridation in Israel.

Waugh had alerted the Israeli Minister for Health to the risks associated with fluoride, outlining how within less than a decade of commencement of water fluoridation, inflammatory respiratory diseases such as asthma had increased by 100% in young adults in Israel. Since commencement of water fluoridation in Ireland in the late 1960s, the prevalence of asthma has increased by 500% – it now affects approximately half a million people and one in five children 12 years of age in this country. Ireland now has one of the highest prevalences of asthma in the world, levels that are only to be found in fluoridated countries.

“Scientific studies have clearly demonstrated that Fluoride is a pro-inflammatory agent that can contribute to all inflammatory diseases, not just asthma,” Waugh told Hot Press.

The decision will put further pressure on the Irish government to finally properly address the serious health issues surrounding the mandatory fluoridation of the water supply. Ireland is the only country in Europe which enforces a policy of mandatory fluoridation of the national water supply.

Throughout 2013, Hot Press has been carrying a series of investigative articles into the practice, written by Adrienne Murphy, and in our current issue we have posed 27 Questions of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland on the issue. In a related article in the current issue, Hot Press has also highlighted huge – and on the face of it inexplicable – differences between the data on fluoride in tea (among other foodstuffs) provided by the FSAI and that which is available in numerous international studies.

As part of the same investigation, a group of British scientists who carried out independent tests on tea and found the fluoride content to be higher than the FSAI's figure by a multiple of ten, have called on the Irish government to carry out an urgent review of its policy of mandatory fluoridation.

Over the past year, Declan Waugh has also assisted communities in New Zealand, Australia, Canada and in parts of the USA in ending decades of fluoridation, as well as – in particular cases – preventing fluoridation programmes from commencing.

http://www.hotpress.com/news/Israeli-Supreme-Court-Backs-Work-of-Irish-Scientist-on-Fluoride/10088280.html

• still thinking
    still thinking

And my guess (yes it is a guess, based on what happened here in Hamilton). The ONLY reason they have to wait until 2014 to stop fluoridation is because there is NO SAFE WAY to dispose of the fluoride they already have in Israel.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit