Role Reversal: Placing 1969 Awake with JW's Manning the New Portable Literature Displays

by snapdragon4 79 Replies latest jw friends

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

I had somehow missed it also,. Thanks for resurrecting it,..oops,..

Idea for anyone planning on sharing info like this to those working the booth.

What do you think about having another person plan on showing up after you get there and have them listen into the conversation. You would want the other person to not look like they were not involved with you of course, just clarifying. This might make it harder on the Jw to tell you where to get off. They would have to keep their cool and act interested as now there are other people involved and of courser they have to give a good witness.

NJY

• smiddy
    smiddy

notjustyet

That sounds likea good tactic.Theocratic warfare in reverse.

smiddy

• trujw
    trujw

It reminds me of a jw at my door. We were talking about blood. I was trying to reason in a way I didn't give away too much about me being an exjw Mentioning saving a life and its precious to god. So she says would you let a doctor sleep with your daughter if he said it would save her and break gods law? I said your illustration proves my point is a little forinaction ok? Confused she said no absolutly not. I replied Why then does your religion allow blood fraction? She stammered and stuttered turned beet red then literally turned to start to walk away. I said wait one more thing. I will pray for you. It was like micheal Jackson moon walking forward her feet moved so fast to leave After that comment. Ahhh made my day!

• Splash
    Splash

A good thread!

If the Soc never taught 1975, why did EVERYONE believe it?

Why was the 6 month Bible study introduced?

Why were people commended in the literature for giving up their homes and jobs and pioneering for the 'remaining months'?

Selective memories are the only way to survive in the JW's.

Splash.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Brilliant. Well done!

LoisLane

• HB
    HB

Myself and an exJW friend were in Camden (London) before Christmas and we saw a JW literature stand manned by three young people outside the station. At first my friend didn't want to approach them as he has moved on and left his JW life behind, but I have never been involved with JWs and was curious, and wanted to engage them.

So I asked in a friendly and inquisitive manner what their beliefs were. I can't easily debate on JW topics (although I have learnt a lot now) so after the standard reply I just said with a kind of amazed disbelief in my voice:

"So you ACTUALLY believe that the myths in the bible are true, like the story of Adam and Eve and the talking snake and the global flood and Noah's Ark?"

The fashionable and stylish girl and the man did not reply, but the other girl simply said "Yes". I noted that she had a very sheepish look on her face, and was uncomfortable saying it. I said I was amazed that they took it literally in spite of all the scientific evidence to the contrary.

I then left it to my friend to debate with them as he knows the bible as well as science. He was polite, but easily outgunned them at every point, leaving them with nowhere to go and many questions they couldn't answer and had never before even considered. It was fascinating to watch and I was quite amazed to see how easy it was for my friend to run rings around them and how uncomfortable they looked defending fairy tales in the 21st century in a busy public place. It was obviously a relief to them when we moved on, but I hope at least one of them would have been googling for answers that evening.

• Confusedandangry
    Confusedandangry

bumping this post for newbies/lurkers. Almost 50 years since this Awake was written. They are still preaching the same thing..

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The true evil doers who have been misleading people are the corrupt lying leaders of the Watchtower Publishing house.

They are in essence commercialized false prophets.

• Sour Grapes
    Sour Grapes

I was a victim of this 1969 Awake article. I was promised by Jehovah's mouthpiece that I would not grow old and die. I am in my 70's now and dying from cancer. I struggled financially for many years living from payday to payday because I did not go to college. Well, I guess that the great theocratic slaughter of mankind is closer now than back then.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    Sour Grapes
    I was a victim of this 1969 Awake article.

I'm so sorry to hear about your cancer. My husband and I are in a similar situaton. He has cancer too and needs to retire, but can't, because I am 7 years younger and need healthcare. Neither of us went to college, but we did OK in the computer consulting business together. We won't be able to stay in the home we raised our children in much longer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit