Role Reversal: Placing 1969 Awake with JW's Manning the New Portable Literature Displays

by snapdragon4 79 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Witnesses have turned exposing the churches of Christendom into a routine part of their work. Although more tactful than they once were, they have little hesitation in eviscerating others' beliefs but are often so defensive and wounded by what apostates say. Good on you for using the Watchtower's very own words to show what they have confidently proclaimed in the past. That young witness expects the end within 30 years. As a teenager myself in the late 1960s, I expected the end in a few short years based entirely on what the Watchtower confidently proclaimed. Fast forward to 2013: In less that 10 years I will retire. So much for the "fact" I will never grow old in this system. And even back in the 1960s, the end was tarrying, with the rank and file already having been told in the 1920s, millions now living will never die.

• snapdragon4
    snapdragon4

Steve, great point about the Millions Now Living Will Never Die. The use of the word "will"indicates the message was promoted as a fact, that they are all now dead indicates it was merely an opinion.

• nugget
    nugget

Fabulous job using a real life example. You overcame the usual response to deny the past. The problem is that many witnesses were not alive in 1970s so do not remember the rhetoric at the time. They are accustomed to the denial and the rewritten history and repeat it. It is so important that they see the lies for themselves in their own magazines.

• besty
    besty

great job sd4 - very tactful and respectful.

jwfacts - maybe make a scan of the entire article available with a discreet footer preprinted to the effect:

"Article no longer available on wol.jw.org - source jwfacts.com"

• Captain Blithering
    Captain Blithering

Wow.

This is SO good, well done! I haven't manned one yet but I'd happily volunteer to if it meant there was a chance someone like you would come and help spread some cognitive dissonance with the wife! Can you come down to Yorkshire?!

Can we organise territory and have regular preaching to the cart occupiers? There must be plenty of us still in who could lead the locations locally....

It's a great way to get people thinking, and a LEGITIMATE way for us to talk to evil apostates! For people like me, mentally out, I'd love to be able to say to the missus "someone asked me on the ministry the other day..... (insert topic of choice)" to get her thinking and give me an excuse to do legitimate research, otherwise she'll just think I'm looking for negatives as she knows I'm a doubter..

I hope this is replicated far and wide, well done mister.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Excelent job Snap. Was this in Dorset?

• silentlamb_silent_no_more
    silentlamb_silent_no_more

Absolutely Brilliant

I actually choked at one point, shed a tear at how brilliant this is.

I then asked 14 year old Emma if she thought the end of the world would come within her lifetime. Absolutely, she replied. Would she care to put a time frame on it. Within 30 years, she declared.

I am thinking of that 14 year old girl, that, the same could be said of myself at 14, going on door to door preaching, wanting to become a nurse and not bothering furthering my education because we would not need nurses in the "new world". I too thought the new system would have came by the time I was at least 30 (now over 30) .

Well done for giving the girl critical thinking skills. I really hope she looks it up. I also hope she continues her education and becomes a vet. I am now a mother of 4 children. I may not be a nurse in a hospital but I count my blessings on what I do have. I am glad that my children have critical thinking skills and question constantly, and form their own opinions on religious teachings.

Again well done :) xx

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

Superb.

• hotspur
    hotspur

There is a permanent JW 'outlet' right opposite my office in Peterborough where JW's present 4 days a week (Mondays most be too traumatic for them). Ever since the recent Newcastle scandal I have been sorely tempeted to walk over with a printout of the newspaper articles and ask their opinion, simply because they can't hide or run away!

Well done Snappy for taking it to them... most heartwarming when irrefutable logic is used against them! Top of the Class

• snapdragon4
    snapdragon4

cantleave and hotspur, you have PMs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit