Friend gets "scriptural divorce" over wifes transgressions before they got married...

by sosoconfused 81 Replies latest jw experiences

• Scully
    Scully

She had multiple episodes with the guy but all kissing and heavy petting(petting... such an old word). Then one day it went further. He rubbed her bare breasts and she put her hands in his pants. She stroked his penis and he almost had a happy ending.

someone who had committed fornication and never repented officially. This nullifies the marriage bond.

Heavy petting, or whatever it's called now, is NOT fornication. In JW land, fornication = penis in vagina. Touching, fondling, stroking, kissing is not fornication, it is technically classified as loose conduct in the Elders' Manualâ„¢ - that's why so many effing child molester JWs get away with that $h!t.

It doesn't nullify the marriage bond. Clearly she was repentant - she cried and turned her life around immediately. Just because she made the choice not to submit to personal humiliation in front of three adult males and possibly get DFd and kicked out of her parents' home, doesn't mean that she didn't make her peace with Jehovahâ„¢ before meeting your friend. It seems like a no-brainer that if she had felt it was a big enough deal, she would have talked to him about it before they got married - and I'm personally wondering if your friend has some 'splainin' to do about his past as well.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I believe elders have always allowed themselves quite a bit of leeway when they want to get rid of a wife. I knew of a case where an elder divorced his invalid wife, because she had supposedly committed adultery, some time ago, you know, during the time she was bearing his five children. He didn't find out until years later(yeah right),so he got a divorce and married his wife's nurse, who was twenty years younger. It was a scandal, but the elders backed him up, and he got away with it. It was obvious he pressured his wife into a false confession, or lied about it.

• Scully
    Scully

Okay, I'm looking at the 1991 Edition of Pay Attention to Yourselves and All the Flock, pages 92-94

Sexual misconduct, including adultery, fornication, and other forms of "por.nei'a."

Uncleanness includes an intentional momentary touching of sexual parts or caressing of breasts. (1 Thess. 4:7, 8; 1 Tim. 5 :1, 2) Such minor uncleanness can be handled at the discretion of an elder or two; it does not require a judicial hearing. There is a need for strong counsel, admonition, and assistance to help the individual to maintain chaste conduct in the future. If not corrected, such conduct may escalate in gravity and by frequent repetition become loose conduct.

Loose conduct is a shocking, flagrant disregard for Jehovah's moral standards. (Gal. 5:19; w83 3/15 p. 31; w73 9/15 pp. 574-6) It may include the willful practice of heavy petting or the fondling of breasts. The nature, circumstances, and actual extent of what has occurred may indicate loose conduct, which would require judicial action.

Such practices can easily lead to por.nei'a . "Por.nei'a" involves immoral use of the genitals of at least one human (whether in a natural or a perverted way), and there must have been another party to the immorality - a human of either sex or a beast; willing participation incurs guilt and requires judicial action . It is not a casual touching of the sex organs between persons but involves the manipulation of the genitals. (w83 6/1 pp. 23-6 ; w83 3/15 pp. 30-1) It includes oral and anal sex or mutual masturbation between persons not married to each other, homosexuality, lesbianism, fornication, adultery, incest, and bestiality. (Lev. 20:10, 13, 15, 16 ; Rom. 1:24, 26, 27, 32; 1 Cor. 6:9, 10)

Also included are sexual abuse of children, including practices involving a catamite (a boy kept for purposes of sexual perversion). (Deut . 23:17, 18, Ref. Bi., ftns.)

Victims of sexual abuse need to be treated with extreme thoughtfulness and kindness . Elders should always do what they reasonably can to protect children from further abuse ; follow the Society's directives on such matters. (g85 1/22 p. 8)

Self-abuse, or masturbation, is not "por.nei'a," nor would one who was raped be guilty of por.nei'a. (w83 3/15 p. 30; w74 3/1 p. 160; it-1 pp. 862-4 ; tp p. 144) The term por.nei'a lays emphasis on both the lewd nature and the intent of the person's conduct, and it embraces all illicit sexual activity characteristic of that found in a house of prostitution.

Copulation (as in penetration) is not necessary to constitute por.nei'a, and neither is sexual climax.

In borderline cases, it is the responsibility of the judicial committee to weigh carefully the Scriptures and the particular facts in the case to determine whether por.nei'a was involved. This responsibility should not be taken lightly, especially when Scriptural freedom to remarry is involved. (Mal . 2:16a )

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

LOL

Are you sure he told you all the facts? Considering it was a phone call and it sounds like he does not keep in touch. Considering he did not waste time explaining the fact that he forced(harassed) his wife to know more details. Sounds like his wife was set up by him and his elder friends.

I would say he did not tell you everything.

Is he still your friend? He just got problems.

Mybe you can call his xwife up and support her confusion.

Also elders just ruin peoples lives.

• sarahsmile
    sarahsmile

LisaRose- Good Old Boys Club! No women allowed.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

momentary touching of sexual parts or caressing of breasts

• wisdomfrombelow
    wisdomfrombelow

I was thinking that he might have grounds for annulment of the marriage if it was based on fraud. If he decides to legally annul the marriage then he is free to remarry because he was never legally married. Marriage is defined by the state not the congregation so if they say it is invalid then it is not valid. It reminds me of the crazy "vow of faithfulness" that is allowed for JW couples to cohabit when divorce is not allowed by the state yet the circumstances for a JW scriptural divorce are met. It basically says "we will get married when we are allowed to but until then we can live like we are married without any congregational consequences".

Whatever he decides to do he will have to live with his decision and the consequences. I hope he thinks seriously about his options and his reasoning.

• sir82
    sir82

If the story is exactly as your friend paints it, then I agree with the previous pioster - those elders will get just about the nastiest letter you can imagine from the branch. I would not be surprised to see a bunch of them removed.

JW rules are stupid, callous, and harsh, but at least they are consistently stupid, callous and harsh. Not playing by the rules is about as serious an offense that elders can commit.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

The elders will be pulverised by the branch office when they hear about this

I agree. This doesnt sound right, I know the JWs suck but they do have certain rules they have to abide by and I do not recall this ever being done. The branch will ream these elders for ruining a marriage. I am sure this guy has a plan on the side to marry someone else because he isn't satisfied with her for some reason. Any of his relatives on the body of elders?

• diana netherton
    diana netherton

I think she should consider herself lucky...imagine being married to that man for the rest of your life! What a wussinator.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit