So what IS wrong with higher Education?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Zound, I am glad you are here. We all can understand and be happy that you are studying and moving on with your life.

I so want everyone to wake up, and understand that they do have free choice. They don't need the GB to tell them how many tissues to use on their little tussie's. And to add to that...When I am at a convention...on purpose I use 2 (TWO) paper towels, not one as ordered.

What happened to the "Only the best for god's people"? Did that get rewritten to be, "only the best for the GB and friends"?

Just Lois

I should walk away from this discussion...I know, I started it, lol, but it makes me so angry.

• wokeup
    wokeup

Open up any Watchtower, the literary obfuscation... the absence of the writers' name, source materials, bibliography, appendix,

quotes taken out of context, one dictionary states...referring to yourself in the 3rd person etc... would get you a big fat F in English I.

The critical thinking skills learned in the social sciences, psychology courses alone would clash with the

black and white thinking cultivated at the kingdom halls. The fallacious reasoning, that's a whole nother story.

So yes, the Watchtower leadership feels very threatened by tertuary education. It empowers the mind.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hi WokeUp, I haven't seen you "around" before. lol

You are 10 years younger than me. If you have children, are they getting an education, if that is what they want?

How is your wife? Has she woken up yet? (I just read your opening thread #1 real quick).

Just Lois

• Heaven
    Heaven

Julia is correct. Critical thinking skills are counter to Botchtower's agenda.

Also, if you're spending time getting educated, you aren't spending that time on Botchtower's work agenda and indoctrination sessions.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Before being DF'd one of my last convo's with a JW friend of mine was enlightening, he stated "you know your problem, you think too much". They don't want you to think. They want you to take what they spoon feed you without any questioning or reasoning - just drink the damn cool-aid!

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

@ cantleave exactly

• speargrass55
    speargrass55

Thnx Lois for bringing up this subject. At least I know I'm not insane. When I tell my family that the society condemns higher education, they tell me that I didn't understand the talk. English is my first language. I don't need someone translating a talk I just heard in English. Btw. I think it is the height of hypocrisy. The Watchtower Society uses lawyers, architects, a complex logistics system, the latest printing technology which are all products of higher education. When new methods of bloodless surgery methods are discovered they make so much noise about it. Then they have the gallery to condemn higher education.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

"you know your problem, you think too much"

I heard our PO give an experience of an old friend who was sooooo smart, he thought himself right out of the truth!

• wokeup
    wokeup

Lois you have a pm.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I had thought this animosity towards higher education was fairly new, but I found similar articles from the 70's. It's a simple reactionary response. College educated kids are less likely to come back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit