So what IS wrong with higher Education?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Are the Governing Body, 8 Pope - ettes , just jealous?

What group of people doesn't want their finest minds to be educated? ( FacePalm )

I am disgusted by the GB behavior.

Just Lois

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

When people get educated, it is much harder to fool and control them.

Which is why I don't understand why they haven't founded there own institution of higher learning (JWU) or they could call it "Rutherford University"

that way they could control what people learn and still keep them in their control

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Lois, take a look at my Gerrit Loesch thread. In there is today's blow-by-blow reasoning for why higher education is bad.

mostly, I agree with LDRnomo. It's a control thing. Once you learn how to think as an adult in college and you learn how real research papers are supposed to be written, citing your sources, etc, its hard not to question things. Especially if you take any course in philosophy, biology or religion. I on purpose didn't take biology because I didn't trust myself to not start believing in evolution (smart choice at the time as I still pioneered and lived at home and now that I've been out awhile, I don't see how evolution couldn't be true).

plus, you're exposed to such a diverse range of great, like-minded people, it becomes ever harder to accept that god will destroy anyone who's not a JW.

• Mum
    Mum

Educated people might challenge the authority of the GB. Their authority is entirely arbitrary because, from all I can perceive, they are self-appointed. The pope has to be elected by a college of cardinals. The pope can be criticized. These GB guys will not tolerate any challenge to their authority or the burdens they put upon their followers.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I like both of your comments.

GoatShapeDemon , I just commented on your thread that is what inspired me to write this.

I am angry at these uneducated men, Governing Body, that make life changing, endangering decisions that they know, humble god fearing people will listen to, thinking that the GB have their best interests at heart. But the reality, is far from the truth.

They want to keep us under educated on purpose. That is a crime.

Just Lois

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

I agree, it *is* a crime. My mother gets so mad about this she wants to outlaw them.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

An elder, who's no longer a JW, told me the Org doesn't want people developing critical thinking skills. This was just before he left the 'trooth' so he had no reason to tell me the pre-approved lie. It's all about control. They see more JWs are going to university or probably even technical institutes because they can't get jobs, they're meeting smart people, developing thinking skills, and leaving the congregation. Better to phobia indoctrinate the sheeples re education.

• goatshapeddemon
    goatshapeddemon

Spot on, Julia.

• zound
    zound

I used to be a window washer, cleaner, laborour for far too many years. The problem isn't with the job (it can be a good job) the problem is not progressing and bettering yourself.

After a few years I grew to hate window cleaning and was miserable cleaning other peoples shit from toilet bowls.

I'm not saying I felt it was beneath me, I learnt plenty of lessons in humility from doing those jobs - but I knew inside me that after about a year I had 'outgrown' the job - I knew that I had talents and skills that I could improve and do a job that fulfilled me creatively or whatnot (not to mention earn more money). But nope - cleaning up peoples shit till armageddon arrives.

I'd in fact recommend people to be a cleaner, or window cleaner or whatever to begin with. The difference being - MOVE ON. PROGRESS. Whether that means turn it into your own business, or get a degree in something you really enjoy. FULFIL your potential!

I'm currently studying. (and cleaning peoples shit part time to pay the bills)

Sorry for the rant - Geret Loschs talk set something off in me.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Rant away! Hey Zound, I understand you live in Brisbane. There are so many universities there and it's such a shame to see young JWs denied the chance to go to them. They're not far so helicopter parents can watch them- but no, the Borg says it's demonic to go to university. Makes me mad too. I've been working in education for years, and I see the good it does in people's lives. Never seen anyone harmed by education.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit