Valedictorian Rips Up Preapproved Speech, Recites Prayer Instead

by Sam Whiskey 469 Replies latest jw friends

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Ironically, the only person whining about 'lack of evidence' (Marvin Shilmer) is also the only person offering no evidence.

The burden of proof lies on the accuser (you), yet you've offered not one shred of evidence to support your arguments and you dismiss all evidence showing the fallacious nature of your claims.

While under no obligation to offer evidence, I'll do it anyway (I know ahead of time you'll completely ignore this, but your responses are cheap entertainment):

http://christiannews.net/2013/06/04/valedictorian-rips-up-approved-speech-on-stage-recites-lords-prayer-at-graduation/

Roy Costner IV drew loud applause and cheers when he surprised attendees of the Liberty High School graduation at Clemson’s Littlejohn Colliseum on Saturday.

"From the ACLU sending FOIA requests to every district in the state this year after the Chesterfield County case, then the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent us a complaint about religion at board meetings and some other issues as well," Pickens County School District spokesman John Eby said, the district has been under fire.

Therefore, officials decided to end invocations at all school functions and replace prayer at high school graduations with a moment of silence.

However, Costner wasn’t going to let activist groups kick God out of his graduation. After taking the podium, Costner took his approved speech and ripped it in half for all to see.

"They write their speeches," Eby told local television station WYFF. "They send them to someone on staff to have them approved."

After speaking from a separate script for a few minutes, Costner then began to thank his parents for his Christian upbringing.

Eby said that the district will not be taking any action against Costner.

"The bottom line is, we’re not going to punish students for expressing their religious faiths," he stated. "He’s a graduate now. There’s nothing we can do about it, even if we wanted to."

---

He wrote his own speech, had it approved, and agreed to deliver the approved speech.

The school's "no prayer" policy is not a mere "assertion" as you claim, Marvin. The school district officials, The Washington Post, and the Christian magazines reporting the story all acknowledge the official policy.

The only one who refuses to recognize it as real is.... YOU.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

The primary reason a school system asks to receive a speech prior to delivery is for the purpose of limiting liability by having proof of what they endorsed in case someone complains of the school system after the fact.

marv. dude really? you dont rewrite something preapproved. even if you just add a prayer.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Evidence has made no difference with you up to this point.

"The act was apparently in protest of the Pickens County School District’s decision to no longer include prayer at graduation ceremonies, Christian News reported. Officials said the decision was made after the district was barraged with complaints by atheist groups."

AndDontCallMeShirley,

A policy against including prayer at graduation ceremonies is not a policy against students expressing their personal religious view.

The school system has adopted a policy of what it will include; what it will endorse, etc.

Such a policy does not address what a student chooses to lawfully do.

Unfortunately my participation in this discussion has resulted in a diminishing of my ability to respond. My posting privileges have been reduced so that I am left unable to respond further for now. In all this I have not intended to digress or respond irresponsibly. My intent was to be a constructive part of fleshing out this subject, one that is very important to me, and not because of religious dud-nuttery. What’s important to me is the ability to hear what folks really think. Somewhere in there, there’s irony.

I appreciate hearing all the views expressed in this discussion. I’ve learned from each. That’s something I’m thankful for.

If someone has questions of things I've said here feel free to post them. I'll answer them as soon as I can.

Marvin Shilmer

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Marvin, at this point I'm almost feeling bad for you.

I don't know if you have any clue how ignorant you look right now.

You're either hopelessly arrogant or deliberately obtuse. Frankly, I don't know which is worse.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"Therefore, officials decided to end invocations at all school functions and replace prayer at high school graduations with a moment of silence."

What part of "end all invocations" at "high school graduations" do you not understand, Marvin?

For your convenience I've highlighted, italicized and underlined the key words in case you're having difficulty seeing the main ponts.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Unfortunately my participation in this discussion has resulted in a diminishing of my ability to respond. My posting privileges have been reduced so that I am left unable to respond further for now.

---

If Simon gave you a 100,000 post limit on this thread I doubt it would make even the minutest difference, Marv.

The upside is, with no longer being able to post, you can now end your own embarrassment earlier than you expected.

What’s important to me is the ability to hear what folks really think. Somewhere in there, there’s irony.

Straight from the horse's mouth....

• Simon
    Simon

Marvin, I have to say, you do yourself no favours when you argue over semantics and nuances of words like you do when the truth is obvious and in your face. You look to some like you are intentionally being an asshole or are just dumb beyond belief. Here's how it appears ...

Simple accepted fact:

Hitler killed millions.

Same fact through "Marvin-filter":

Hitler didn't actually kill them himself and unless you can present evidence that he signed a death penalty for each and every person I refuse to acknowledge that he was culpable of any wrong-doing. In fact, those people would have died anyway so you need to prove that their deaths were materially speeded up beyond what would have naturally occurred. Also, define 'kill' ... pulling a trigger isn't really killing someone as at the moment it's pulled they are not dead. A bullet hits them milliseconds later and they cease to be alive but that doesn't mean there is a definite proven correlation between the incidents ... yada yada yada.

• Simon
    Simon

Marvin: You seem to have trouble with the concept of something being "approved". That means it was given the OK and any reasonable person would understand this to mean that it's what you intend to deliver. If you then don't deliver the thing you said you were going to (when you submitted it for approval) then people could quite rightly label you a lying sack of something or, in this case, a christian who is only capable of reciting their pre-approved mantra.

The fact is, he lied - intentionally and deliberately.

Whether you want to accept that or not is of little interest. What is of interest is how this action is applauded while at the same time violating the very principals he claimed to represent.

So, not only a liar but a hypocrite as well.

But then that describes most Christians, especially the mouthy ones.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    "Marvin-filter"

That's funny stuff, Simon.

And, your illustration cut right to the point.

• fakesmile
    fakesmile

off topic... didnt a valedictorian recently have her diploma witheld for using the word HELL?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit