Valedictorian Rips Up Preapproved Speech, Recites Prayer Instead

by Sam Whiskey 469 Replies latest jw friends

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“…he pulled a fast one and lied, or at the very least, a grand deception.”

AndDontCallMeShirley,

Other than presupposition, I’ve seen no evidence the speaker at issue pulled a fast one or lied.

Presupposition is fallacy.

Marvin Shilmer

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Valedictorians usually write their own speeches.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

ADCMS: “Incidentally, you completely missed my point in the Warren Buffet illustration I posted. Not surprising.”

What you attempted to refute on the basis of a Buffett seminar was not refuted by your illustration. When people give audience to Buffett one thing they all want to know is what motivates the man.

--

Congratulations, Marvin! You missed the point a second time.

I didn't say the seminar would be about what motivates Buffet; the seminar was about specific techniques he uses to pick stocks.

If I paid $25,000 to learn specific strategies for investing, and the key individual only recited the Lord's Prayer, I would be entitled to a full refund.

Your own quotes undermines your argument:

"one thing they all want to know is what motivates the man"

If, while teaching specific techniques, Buffet were to say, 'and prayer is important in my life', then goes on teaching stock-picking strategies, I have no problem with that. If I pay big money to learn stock picking, and Buffet spent the whole seminar discussing prayer, that's a problem.

Your reply to this should be hilarious (as were the others).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    AndDontCallMeShirley - "Someone willing to forego personal glory to stand by personal convictions is highly honorable."

What if said personal convictions are crazy?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    Valedictorians usually write their own speeches.

Great point.

Either way, whether someone wrote it for him or he wrote it himself, the speech as written was PRE-APPROVED, meaning the content of the speech was agreed upon to be delivered as written.

Marvin- so his tearing up the PRE-APPROVED speech was not enough evidence to you that he deceived school administrators?

Other than presupposition, I’ve seen no evidence the speaker at issue pulled a fast one or lied.

I do not have to presuppose anything, I watched the same video you did.

You certainly have a dizzying intellect, Marvin.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“If I paid $25,000 to learn specific strategies for investing, and the key individual only recited the Lord's Prayer, I would be entitled to a full refund.”

AndDontCallMeShirley,

If you paid Warren Buffet to give specific strategies for investing and Warren Buffet’s response was to teach you the Lord’s Prayer then you got what you asked for so long as Warren Buffet honestly believed reciting the Lord’s Prayer was a helpful strategy for investing.

When you pay someone to share their views you’re paying that person to say what they think they should say; not what you think they should say.

Marvin Shilmer

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley
    What if said personal convictions are crazy

I'd say, "interesting. why is that?"

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

a conviction is a firm belief.

I firmly believe the earth is a sphere and the moon is not made of cheese.

I know, "crazy", right?

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“I do not have to presuppose anything, I watched the same video you did.”

AndDontCallMeShirley,

Really?

Then tells us, which part of the video we both watched evidences the speaker lied or pulled a fast one?

Can you answer that question without reading a conclusion into the evidence?

Marvin Shilmer

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Conratulations, Marvin.

You missed the point for a third time!

Go for a fourth?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit