Valedictorian Rips Up Preapproved Speech, Recites Prayer Instead

by Sam Whiskey 469 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    Respectfully, you understate the incident. Above I quoted and linked to an op-ed piece in the LA Times expressing Costner’s version of events in which he was allegedly “warned by school officials to refrain from any prayers or religious references in his remarks.” Do you see "or" in that sentence?
    If that report is true then Costner was not solely restricted from reciting a prayer. If you disagree then please explain what “warned by school officials to refrain from … religious references in his remarks” is supposed to mean.

Erm, Marvin ... you are again going off the words of a PROVEN LIAR and hearsay ... tut tut, that's not very professional is it? You are the one overstating things and trying to paint a scenario that there is no evidence of.

We only have his word on this and I don't believe it. He's backpeddling and trying to spin things into something that wasn't.

The fact is the rule was against reciting prayers and that's what he did. There was no need for him to do it. End of story.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“So democracy works by everyone having a say and then anyone who doesn't like the final outcome ignoring the concensus that was reached?”

Simon,

Because a particular decision has been made a governmental authority does not mean the right decision was made under that government’s laws. In this case Costner thought the wrong decision was made and for the wrong reasons. So he committed an act of non-violent civil disobedience.

“There are times when civil disobediance makes sense. This isn't it. This is petty, lame, childish, selfish, dogmatic idiocy and nothing for the greater good or for any 'point' other than some brat who doesn't like being told to abide by some simple rules that aren't onerous or limiting at all.”

You keep saying that but I have yet to see you provide qualitative or quantitative evidence proving what Costner did was exercising a liberty the United States government should protect its citizenry from. (See more below on this point of evidence)

“Have you learnt anything yet Marvin? Did you learn anything from the Lords Prayer that you didn't know already? When will you learn that your done.”

I’ve learned lots of things in this discussion, and have shared quite a bit of it. But iterating most of what I’ve learned in this discussion would be taking the subject off-topic. I see others keep doing that. But I try hard to refrain.

And, learning anything about the Lord’s Prayer is not the subject. Perhaps noteworthy is that the way Costner used the Lord’s Prayer material during his graduation speech provides no basis to say what religion he prefers. So far this is something that not a single participant in this discussion has bothered to discuss. Frankly, based strictly on what Costner did during his speech I’d not be surprised were it to come out that he had help to craft his form precisely for that very reason, and in order to make a more pure political statement rather than a religious one.

“Yes, because that is NOT what the issue is. The issue is whether religious prayers have a place or not and are appropriate or not in this setting and when it's been determined that they are NOT, whether it's right for someone to then take it on themseves to overrule the will of the people.”

If this discussion is not about whether it’s governmental overreach to prohibit what Costner did during his speech then I’ve wasted my time.

If this discussion is about whether it’s governmental overreach to prohibit what Costner did during his speech then asking for qualitative or quantitative evidence demonstrating that reading the lords prayer and expressing agreement with it represents a danger to anyone is very relevant to the issue.

So does this discussion include the issue of whether it’s governmental overreach to prohibit what Costner did during his speech, or not? You tell me.

“Stop your lame attempts to keep twisting it into something it isn't. How about you prove to us that religion never harms anyone? Good luck with that ...”

I’ve not attempted to twist anything. I’ve been very straightforward about issues of concern to me in this discussion, and have addressed those concern. Along the way I’ve answered every question you and others asked of me, which is less than I can say of you and others here in response to me.

Evidence that a belief system can be harmless is as easy as pointing out that believing there is no god is insofar as I can tell, harmless. Yet atheism is a belief system.

Otherwise, there are lots of religious beliefs that have helped humankind immensely, and accordingly were helpful to humanity. In fact I dare say much of modern medicine has it’s roots in ancient religious notions. Modern hematological medicine is much indebted to “witch doctors” of yesteryear who wooed locals with “magical” uses of, for example, blood by using fresh blood to nearly instantly stop bleeding from the wound of what was formerly known as a “free-bleeder”.

“The prayers are insulting and uncomfortable for those who don't want religion pushed on them, those who hold different religious beliefs or those who the prayers target.”

Why does listening to something you disagree with insult you or make you uncomfortable? I do it all the time, and in each case take the opportunity to learn what I can. In most cases what I learn is not what the individual thinks I’m learning. But I’m learning nevertheless.

“Marvin: I'm rapidly reaching the point where I'm going to class you as a troll because despite your cliaims I do not believe you are here to learn or discuss or debate, just to annoy and frustrate and ruin topics.”

I don’t understand that at all. At all! I’ve spent considerable time on this subject because it’s important to me. I take time to answer your questions, and many others. This is not what a troll does. What you posit on that point is practically infantile. Why don’t you constructively engage what I’ve said rather than paint my character?

Marvin Shilmer

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    “A Wall of Words means I`m Right…”
    Presumably that’s said of my participation. If so, the remark is silly insofar as I can see. Each of my remarks target specific things said in order to engage the subject. Addressing details is what substantive discussion is for.....MS

It`s not silly at all..

You`ve literally written a wall of words..

And..

Haven`t been able to show why..

Pre-approved means something other than Pre-Approved..

Or Why..

Shoving your beliefs down someones throat is perfectly acceptable..

Look where your trying to take the conversation now..

Do you think Roy Costner should be somehow penalized by authorities for what he did?..

It has nothing to do with what happened..

Your trying to change the subject,in an attempt to be right..

................................. photo mutley-ani1.gif... OUTLAW

photo mutley-ani1.gif

• Giordano
    Giordano

The issue actually boils down to using public money to present a prayer.The school, it's teachers,the graduation and it's attended costs was paid for with public money.

Once you accept public funding there are numerous strings attached....no prayers, hate speech, obscene behavior etc.are just a few of the rules.

What Mister Costner failed to understand is that

'Feedom to believe is absolute, but the freedom to act is not. Freedom to believe does not relieve an individual of the obligation to comply with a valid and neutral law of general appicability on the basis that to do so would violate a religious belief.'

His freedom of speech was not at issue in the setting he agreed to speak at. In fact he was encouraged to write his speech in his own words.

As far as I know nothing in the speech he wrote and then ripped up had a single word changed by the school.

• Simon
    Simon

By your reasoning Marvin, the separation of church and state was completely unecessary.

Is this what you believe?

• Simon
    Simon
    'Feedom to believe is absolute, but the freedom to act is not. Freedom to believe does not relieve an individual of the obligation to comply with a valid and neutral law of general appicability on the basis that to do so would violate a religious belief.' His freedom of speech was not at issue in the setting he agreed to speak at. In fact he was encouraged to write his speech in his own words.
    As far as I know nothing in the speech he wrote and then ripped up had a single word deleted.

Well said.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Erm, Marvin ... you are again going off the words of a PROVEN LIAR and hearsay…”

Simon,

No. I'm not. I've read and Costner said and then took a view from 30,000 feet. Here's what I saw:

As best I can tell Costner has repeatedly and publicly expressed his version that he was warned against any prayers or religious references in his remarks. Though the school system’s PR representative has many times spoken of this incident, not once has he disputed what Costner said he was warned against. Does that tell you anything?

Here's what it tells me: By now, if what Costner claims were false the school system would have disputed it. It hasn't disputed Costner's version of events, including what he alleges was said to him.

One thing the school system has shared about this whole incident is something I tried to convey way back in this discussion. There is a gap between what a school system can and must hold as a policy versus the individual rights of a student (a graduate student no less) can exercise. This gap presents a dilemma, and is another reason why this subject is of interest to me.

Marvin Shilmer

• Dagney
    Dagney

Question Marvin:

Would there even be a discussion or a thread here if the kid was Islamic? If someone posted the article and criticized the kid for what he did, would you be advocating for his "right" to say a prayer to Alllah as involved and determined as you are for the Christian kid? Honestly asking.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Haven`t been able to show why..

“Pre-approved means something other than Pre-Approved..

“Or Why..

“Shoving your beliefs down someones throat is perfectly acceptable..”

Outlaw,

I have a couple questions for you.

- If I were to stand before an audience, quote verbatim the Lord’s Prayer, then say “Amen” and stop, what religion does that make me?

- If I were to stand before an audience, quote verbatim the Lord’s Prayer, then say “Amen” and stop, have I made a political statement or a religious statement?

- If I were to stand before an audience, quote verbatim the Lord’s Prayer, then say “Amen” and stop, what have I done that the government needs to protect you from?

- If I were to stand before an audience, quote verbatim the Lord’s Prayer, then say “Amen” what if anything have I necessarily said of my religious belief?

Can you answer those questions?

In response to what you write above:

I have not tried to argue that pre-approved means anything other than pre-approved. So what’s your point in speaking as though I have?

I have not tried to argue that someone should have a right to shove their beliefs down anyone’s throat as though doing so is perfectly acceptable. So what’s your point in speaking as though I have?

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“By your reasoning Marvin, the separation of church and state was completely unnecessary.

“Is this what you believe?”

Simon,

No.

Separation of church and state is to protect against needless governmental interference into religious affairs. I can see the societal value in this and agree with it.

Separation of church and state is not a mechanism for the state to prohibit use of a statement (religious or otherwise) during a government sanctioned event that poses no threat to its citizenry.

“Would there even be a discussion or a thread here if the kid was Islamic? If someone posted the article and criticized the kid for what he did, would you be advocating for his "right" to say a prayer to Alllah as involved and determined as you are for the Christian kid?”

Dagney,

Most decidedly, and emphatically, I hold the same view of a Muslim were he or she to have quoted an innocuous Islamic text and said “Amen” afterward under the same circumstance.

Marvin Shilmer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit