Tech49 on HOURS, TIME, and REPORTS

by Tech49 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tech49
    Tech49

I thought I would share some of my observations on counting field service time, reports, etc. and how those reports are viewed, to those that are still so fixated on numbers.

I served as Secretary on the Service Committee for many years, and have seen it all!

I was really disheartened when WT changed the requirement for Aux Pioneering to allow for 30 hrs, instead of the 50 it has been for so long. Granted, it used to be 60, way back when. I see what they are trying to do... to encourage more to "reach out". Ok, but what really has happened is that the commitment is no longer there. In fact, now it is more of a formality to scribble your name on a piece of paper to get accolades and praise. That's it, period. Now you can be better than the rest of us. And get this..... you don't even have to put in the time! Let me explain:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Experience: Every year, extra effort is made during Memorial Season and Convention season with placement of the invitiations to these 2 events. All are encouraged to "pioneer", to sign up for 30 or 50 hours commitment. Well, what do you think is going to happen? We get a fistful of slips for the 30 hr apps. ( why do 50 when you can do 30??? duh.) As a Secretary, I saw the ACTUAL time put in, or at least REPORTED by all these "instant" pioneers. Out of 30 people, probably 25% came anywhere near the 30hr commitment they signed up for. No one says a word, they just go on their merry way. No problem, right??? WAIT! What if you are an elder or his family???

Like a few, I won't sign up for a commitment, whether it be 30, 50, or 100 hours of anything............ if I know I can't be true to my word. So a while back, during a recent Memorial campaign, my family didnt sign the silly little white papers, committing to anything. Now mind you, we still put forth extra effort to support the distribution of invitations that month, we just weren't guilted into "putting in hours". It was an enjoyable time...

Fast forward to next CO visit, meeting with all the elders. The general gist of part of the conversation went like this:

CO: Look at all the Pioneers you had in March! Wow! That's so encouraging....!!!! Lets see........ looks like all of you signed up............... except Brother Harper.... you did not have ANY representative from your family pioneering............. Why not ??

Tech49: Well brother, none of us in the family were sure if we could meet a particular obligation that month, so we didnt sign anything, we just wanted to enjoy supporting everyone else.

CO: You know, as an ELDER, you have the OBLIGATION to TAKE THE LEAD in the congregation!

Tech49: True, but a certain amount of hours or signing a piece of paper does not mean you are taking the lead or exemplary in anything.

CO: False! The "sheep" hear your name called from the platform, and are encouraged to follow your example!

Tech49: Actually, that is not completely true. The friends are more apt to follow your example when they see you OUT and ABOUT, sharing WITH THEM. Numbers or pieces of paper have little meaning. Here are some actual stats from our congregation, in fact right from the Publisher Cards from some right here on the elder body. (now I am thumbing thru the cards, picking out the cards of the elders and servants, looking at their 'reports' for their month of 'pioneering'. ) Looks like Brother Elder #1 pioneered in March, but reported a whopping 6 hours. His wife reported 7 hours.

CO: Well, I think they were ill for a week or two., we can give them a little break.

Tech49: Let's see.... Elder #2 and his wife pioneered in March, he reported 12 hours, she reported 17. Looks like they didn't meet their obligation either.... just sayin'. In fact, Elder #3 and Elder #4 fell way short in their "obligation" as well.

CO: The point here is that YOU and YOUR family did not sign up for the month like everyone else,.... brother you need to DO MORE!

Tech49: I suppose that's always something to consider, but I don't see the point in signing up for something you can't accomplish. Let your YES mean YES....

..... and so we went round and round for a bit. I just shook my head, amazed at the idiocy of the argument. I wasn't winning any friends today! Should have seen the brothers squirm in their seats!

In the end, it boils down to this:

Reports that you submit for your "hours" in the Field Service at the end of the month seem to be an "end all" qualification for servants, elders, pioneers, etc. Most would assert that the number of hours you put in defines your level of "spirituality". Pure rubbish. It doesnt mean a thing in reality. Its all a way to garner praise for yourself, to be "cool", to get your name read from the platform, to be just that much better than the next guy. In a word: EGO.

Numbers and statistics are grossly blown out of proportion to justify a cause, or to make something look like it is not.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another example: CO came to visit, wanted us all to focus on starting Bible Studies. OK great.... his goal was to start x number by the end of the week. As the week progressed, he would update us all with how many new "studies" had been started in the field. Soon the number was around 30 !! Um, just how is this possible? His explanation: Ask the householder at the door if you can "come back". If they say yes, go back the same day, stop by later the same morning. BAM! study started!

The untold part of the equation: you never had to actually see them the second time, and you never actually had to study anything with them. Yes, a glorified and painted over Return Visit.

But it sure looked good at the end of week when he could write in his report to "Mother": the congregation started over 30 bible studies this week, with our encouragement and help!

Oh........... my............. goodness.

Of course, the next week, all 30 "studies" evaporated into thin air. Big surprise there....

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, one more experience, then I need to go back to work:

Lets look back at Brother P. Noticed on his sheet the following report for a couple of months straight: 213 magazines, 120 books, 6 hrs. or a variation of such.

I'm sorry.... what? Ok, How exactly is that possible. I had to laugh. So what's up? Here is the general synopsis of our conversation:

Tech49: Brother P, am I missing something here? Maybe I misread this, but you are reporting 20 books and 35 magazines placed in the field for every hour? Please help me to understand how this is possible?!

Brother P: Well, I just leave them at doors!

Tech49: Ok......, but how do you go to over 300 doors in 6 hours?

Brother P: (serious now) Oh no, I don't. I just leave a little stack of books and mags at each one!

Tech49: Um...... what.....why?

Brother P: Oh, that's the way we did it in California... it was so fun.... me and another brother would have contests to see who could place the most every month!

Now mind you, he was completely serious. His ability to "place" literature had gotten him the adoration of many, and a little following of sorts. He didnt appreciate me providing some "reminders" that this was not really the recommended way of "placing" literature. DOH !!

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To sum up our little plethora of examples: Numbers of hours and amount of placements do not a man (or woman) make. Be true to yourself, be true to your word. If not, you look like a fool.

Jack Harper

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Yeah, those experiences sound about right! Thanks for sharing.

What I learned as I was on my way out was that field service (and by extention pioneering at any hour level) has really nothing to do with anything but commitment. I read Festinger's "When Prophecy Fails" and learned that people who make the largest commitments to a cult (leave jobs, school) are the ones who end up staying in when the proverbial shit hits the prophetic fan. Thus, the society's 30 hour plan makes sense from this perspective. It certainly will not lead to any real "growth"

Festinger was a social psychologist who coined the term "cognitive dissonance" Some interesting reading if you get the chance.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Welcome to the board Tech..Jack . It is a pleasure to have you here .

What you say is so true. I was so pressured into Aux Pioneering when I was an elder. Every April or so the push was on..Elders had to set the lead. Somebody determined that every elder would do it and your arm was twisted right to your shoulder if you objected. Never mind your pressures at work ( the others worked part time or self-employed and could be more flexible). Never mind your pressure at home from a wife who wanted her things cared for as normal, never mind anything .Your name was on the list. The Congo had all the elders pioneering, was not that wonderful? But I was so discouraged . There was nothing worse than dragging yourself around the territory, taking as long as possible to make up hours.I think it is worse now, from what I see.

I love your comments on "starting new studies" - so true..so very true.

I am with you Bro......I know where you are coming from.

• sir82
    sir82

I never saw anything that extreme, but how about this.....

You are missing a report from Brother X, so you call him. "Yeah I got 12 hours and 14 magazines".

Then a month or so later, you find Brother X's report crumbled at the bottom of your bag, or handed to you by someone who mistakenly picked it up.

What does the report say? 8 hours and 4 magazines.

Every....single....time....literally 100% of the time - if someone gave me a verbal report, and then later their report showed up - every....single...number was completely different.

People make this $#!+ up off the top of their heads. And why not? Who cares? Good numbers keep the wolves at bay.

And don't get me started about the service group overseers who make up phantom time for the ones in their service group, so it looks like no one in their group is "inactive".....

The fields service totals you read in the yearbooks are wildly inaccurate. Oh the numbers are meticulously transcribed from paper to report & the branch triple-checks the math scrupulously.....but the numbers on the report bear virtually no resemlance to what really goes on.

And of course the WTS knows that, and they don't care. They have their "evidence" of hours spent in "charitable" works so no taxes are owed.

• Watkins
    Watkins

Great post, Jack! I'm looking forward to hearing more!

2 Scriptures I keep in mind on this subject:

Ecclesiastes 12:12 But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of manybooks is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body.

2 Corinthians 3:1 Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, as some, letters of commendation to you or from you? 2 You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3 being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.

When having a discussion about 'turning in time' with 2 elders, I reminded them of the 2 Cor. 3 verse above. They said, 'well, yes, the Bible does say that about not needing commendations, BUT it's such an encouragement to know how many hours the b/s are out there preaching!' First of all, they're NOT preaching the Good News by any means. And second, I was NEVER encouraged by high pioneer hours - quite the opposite. I felt horrible that, by those standards and under my circumstances, I simply wasn't able to give 'my all' for Jehovah. When I later found out it was only the corporation for which I'd worked, I felt much better - encouraged, even!

You're absolutely right, it's about pride and ego and status - just like all other religions. No different, same-same-same.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Yes that about sums it up, well. That is what I observed serving for over a decade

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

Welcome to the board Tech.

I am going to enjoy reading your posts. I see that you are a person after my own heart:

if you are going to do something, then do it properly.

If ownly the rank and file could see what really goes on at elders meetings. Its not even a question of a particular congregation, as some think.

It is everywhere: every country,every congregation is the same.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I love this guy!!

• Comatose
    Comatose

Amazing. :)

• blondie
    blondie

How about the jws that hand wrote a not-at-home letter making sure it took 1 hour (watching tv at the same time). Copied it 100 times and counted 100 hours.

Or the grandfather who took his grandson for a walk on the beach for an afternoon and counted 4 hours.

or the wooden indian jws that sit or stand by a sidewalk holding up magazines, never saying a word to anyone passing by, but gossiping with each other.

My husband was a service overseer for awhile and I posted the time on a nice little software package. Some interesting patterns popped up. Of course, no one knew I did this. I redid all the territory maps one year when the boundaries moved....no one knew.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit