Tech49 on HOURS, TIME, and REPORTS

by Tech49 67 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

You gotta love the rural territories. Our town is at least 1 1/2 hours away from the closest Kingdom Hall. The "brothers" get to count three hours of travel, plus the obligatory coffee break, before they even knock on a single door.

• hoser
  • hoser
    hoser

jgnat

the OD book states that travel time to the territory cannot be counted so the game is start your time. Lets do a call close to the kingdom hall to start our time then we will drive 2 hours to do our return visit then drive 2 hours back and do another call close to the kingdom hall.

4 hours of easy time to count and no one may even be at home

• running_away
    running_away

I always try to put something different in each slip.

In fact, Im not always take the same coffees!

There was a MS in a old cong that never goes to preach. And was MS for years! he always reported ¨ 0 ¨ . The elders can do nothing: he ask them how much time the bible says that a MS has to do to qualify... they never answered.

• hoser
    hoser

There was a MS in a old cong that never goes to preach. And was MS for years! he always reported ¨ 0 ¨ . The elders can do nothing: he ask them how much time the bible says that a MS has to do to qualify... they never answered.

I find that hard to believe! but if push comes to shove it is quite alarming what a person can get away with. I know an elder and his wife that ALWAYS work together alone in field service. I really have my doubts that they actually go door to door.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

This thread reminds me of a post I read here on JWN a long time ago (by metatron, I think) that really stuck in my head...

...that basically the efforts of conforming to the WT lifestyle ultimately create individuals who are skilled at maintaining pretense, which is a fundamentally dishonest way of living, and which, of course, has a very negative long-term psychological impact on the individuals in question and those around them.

Obviously, the suggestion that being a JW (or any flavor of fundamentalist, really) could foster long-term psychological or emotion handicaps would never be accepted by an active JW.

• running_away
    running_away

South America, in every cong there is a different weird history!

Yes Hoser, I wouldn't believe it too. But it happens a few years ago. Big cong, but there were only a couple of elders, Now I think that they need the guy's help.

Later, he left. Now he's gay. Free. Happy... and don't need to report.

But, I used that argument in my cong and it worked! Still I DO report my coffee time.

• alfredjones100
    alfredjones100

yep, i served as a congregation secretary and its all true. we had a couple of phantom regular pioneers (ones that you'd never see in the service) and others who started their time from when they left their front door to get to the witnessing group or those doing the country witnessing thing, counting the hours between farm houses (4 people per car). it's just about the numbers and never really about the effectivness. anyone here old enough to remember the 4 and 5 scripture sermons we had to learn from the service meeting. in those days, at least we could read the bible at the doors with some meaning.

it just like the vietnam war. it was all about the body count and the numbers were mostly made up to please the generals. it was never about doing any good.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I was born-in and was pretty honest. Actually, honesty got me in trouble when I informed on myself to a judical commitee.

My ex-wife actually itemized her hours in each of the rows.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I can honestly say that I never turned in a false field service report in the thirty years I did the canvassing work, including my years as an auxiliary and regular pioneer. Were there months when I reported no time? Yes there were and I never received a secretary’s call asking for it. In fact, the only time I heard anything from the elders was when I told my congregation in Birmingham, Alabama that I was moving to Boulder, Colorado. Then they suddenly wanted my time for the missing months so they could put it on the publisher’s record card they were going to send. My response was they were a day late and a dollar short.

When I began studying back in 1974, my teacher was a man who was heavily involved with the upper echelons of the WTS. He was quite capable in many areas including the canvassing work and I learned a great deal from him. Reporting service time was a bee under his bonnet, however. He used to say he saw no point in it whatsoever and that it was nothing the Bible discussed. Jesus directed the preaching work in the first century, even sending people to certain areas that needed help. If he could do that back then, he should be able to do the same now without input from his followers. The fact that the WTS wanted field reports made him believe they were relying on themselves and not Christ to accomplish the preaching work. As matters have turned out, he was absolutely right.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit